The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Out May 19th!

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
Figured with the coming release of this amazing game we should have a thread dedicated to its discussion!

When you start the game on consoles you will be able to start with a default world state or you can bring over decisions made in the 2nd game. This Gamespot article outlines the questions asked as well as the details on the events/people involved. I highly recommend reading through this even if you do not care to make such decisions so you at least are aware (or refreshed) on the major events in the world prior to this game.

So far the reviews have been nothing but extremely positive. All were given PS4 copies for review and they have noted that there is some slight framerate issues; I wonder if these will exist on the Xbox One version as well though since the resolution is lower? Only time will tell!

IGN - 9.3/10

Game Informer - 9.75/10

GameSpot - 10/10

GameTrailers - 9.8/10

Xbox Achievements - 92/100

Kotaku - Yes

The Verge - Extremely Positive

I was going to keep adding all the reviews as they streamed in but figured it is easier to just link to Metacritic where it current is sitting at a 92 at the time of posting this. I think it is safe to say that it is a critically acclaimed game at this point and based on their last preorder numbers, will be a commercial success as well!

Coverage of this game can be found anywhere but my favorite pieces by far were done by Danny O'Dwyer over on Gamespot. They are split into 3 videos and I feel like these prove why he is one of the best individuals in game reporting. They are not just coverage of the game but rather of the Devs, the culture of the industry in Poland and then of course the game itself. All of them can be found here and I highly recommend you give them a watch as you wait for the game to be released!

Digital copies of the game here in the states will unlock around dinner time on Monday May 18th and the details can be found here

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this game come with an instruction manual? The last one did. Might have been the last game to do so.
Yeah I remember that! I wouldn't put my money on it, but the base game does come with a handful of goodies regardless:

• Blu-ray Disc with the game
  • An exclusive CD with the official soundtrack
  • The official, developer-created "The Witcher Universe: Compendium"
  • A beautiful, detailed map of the in-game world
  • A set of unique Witcher 3 stickers
  • A stylish, protective sleeve

So looking every where, I can't find a full answer, but is Death march mode in fact Perma death, or is there the separate dark mode with Perma Death.  Some say it is, some say it isn't... there is no straight answer any where and I am seeing several people who got the game early.

So looking every where, I can't find a full answer, but is Death march mode in fact Perma death, or is there the separate dark mode with Perma Death. Some say it is, some say it isn't... there is no straight answer any where and I am seeing several people who got the game early.
I tried checking on that the other day and I have had the same non-conclusive findings as you. They said there would be an achievement for beating Dark Mode and the highest difficulty achievement seems to be Death March so I would imagine it to be the same setting but really who knows. You would think we would have that info by now but really I don't care so long as I know by Monday haha

I tried checking on that the other day and I have had the same non-conclusive findings as you. They said there would be an achievement for beating Dark Mode and the highest difficulty achievement seems to be Death March so I would imagine it to be the same setting but really who knows. You would think we would have that info by now but really I don't care so long as I know by Monday haha
Just found out from someone who got the game early, Death march mode is not perma-death, just the hardest difficulty setting. In death march, enemies will hit with more damage, and you will regenerate health much more slowly. You also can't meditate to regain health. So good news, no perma death! It might be an option either after you beat the game or in DLC. but death march is not it.

I am going to take a go at it on death march and just work through slow and steady.

Just found out from someone who got the game early, Death march mode is not perma-death, just the hardest difficulty setting. In death march, enemies will hit with more damage, and you will regenerate health much more slowly. You also can't meditate to regain health. So good news, no perma death! It might be an option either after you beat the game or in DLC. but death march is not it.

I am going to take a go at it on death march and just work through slow and steady.
Hmm thanks for the info!

I am undecided... I think I will start on Death March but am not sure..

good news is you can change the difficulty on the fly
Yeah but if I start on a high difficulty I would never ding it down and if I start low and go high I wouldn't get the trophy! Either way I have to commit then haha I am like 99% sure I will do Death March from the get go.

Yeah but if I start on a high difficulty I would never ding it down and if I start low and go high I wouldn't get the trophy! Either way I have to commit then haha I am like 99% sure I will do Death March from the get go.
I am not good at hard games, but I have realized more and more recently to just try it and make my way through it slowly. may take a little longer but you get the satisfaction of beating a much harder game

I have 2 questions if anyone can answer it. does it have any online components (co-op etc) and if not should I just wait for the GOTY edition. also do you need to play any of the previous games to play this.

I have 2 questions if anyone can answer it. does it have any online components (co-op etc) and if not should I just wait for the GOTY edition. also do you need to play any of the previous games to play this.
  • No online parts
  • I would not wait (but yes you are not missing anything really by waiting)
    Yes you can easily wait to play this game until they presumably release a more complete one and not miss out on anything, but really this is shaping up to be the actual Game of the Year and not just a "GOTY Edition." I personally cannot wait to play this game and the unanimous praise it is receiving should hopefully sway anyone on the fence.

[*]Do not need to play previous games
  • The original box art had Witcher 3 prominently displayed but they later changed it to Witcher Wild Hunt with the 3 scratch marks signifying the third game. They explained that they didn't want people being intimidated by it being the third in the series and feel like they couldn't jump in now. They have said however you can easily play it without ANY knowledge of the previous games. In the beginning you basically can pick major choices from the previous story to implement in the world, similar to Mass Effect when it was brought to other consoles as well as Dragon Age except this is all handled in game. Gamespot is going to have an article/ video up explaining those decisions too because some have little context so this would be a perfect thing to check out once they post it and before you start the game.

Reportly there is a 482.1 gb day one patch. How the hell are you suppose to dl this on a factory PS4?
Clearly that is incorrect! haha

Speaking of Day One patch it looks like the small framerate hiccups mentioned from the ps4 review copies has already been fixed and will be rolled out the day it comes out. Link

11167846_817328511677590_7071380129049057358_n.jpg

I have 2 questions if anyone can answer it. does it have any online components (co-op etc) and if not should I just wait for the GOTY edition. also do you need to play any of the previous games to play this.
You will be waiting at least 1 year for any type of complete edition. In the couple of weeks post launch there are a bunch of free small DLC's like weapons/outfits that are all free.

There is also a $25 expansion pass that is adding on a 10-hour expansion & a 20-hour expansion. The 10-hour one is due in October & the 20-hour one is due in early 2016.

Also on a side note this is the first time I can remember the Sony side of CAG being more active for a major release vs. the XBox side (which has no Witcher 3 thread.)

Also on a side note this is the first time I can remember the Sony side of CAG being more active for a major release vs. the XBox side (which has no Witcher 3 thread.)
I originally planned on buying the X1 version actually myself until the devs began talking about how much easier the ps4 was to program for. I really do not care about the tiny difference in graphical fidelity but I feel overall if the one was easier to work with it will produce a 'hopefully' less buggy version.

I have noticed that there are a few generic Witcher 3 ads online but the majority of them are X1 specifc ads.

*EDIT*

just under 50 hours for the digital versions to unlock! : D

Theses developers spend a lot of time listening to fan base.    I have been a fan since the first one.  I  will support day 1.  

Just returned Project CARS (very disappointing) and put it towards this instead. I couldn't get W2 to play on my laptop (low-end) but I absolutely love this series, including the books. From everything I've heard, W3 is a refinement and improvement on everything from the first two games.

Just returned Project CARS (very disappointing) and put it towards this instead. I couldn't get W2 to play on my laptop (low-end) but I absolutely love this series, including the books. From everything I've heard, W3 is a refinement and improvement on everything from the first two games.
I pirated the first one and then by the time the second was coming out I adored the first so much I literally built a new PC to be able to run the second installment at optimal settings (and yes I bought the game itself then too haha). So yeah needless to say I am beyond excited for this one! : P

I just hope the controls are friendly and easily to learn. Other than that, everything I've seen and heard is amazing. The only possible "con" I've heard so far is the main story is a lot of padding, but everyone says the best parts are off the beaten path :D

I am going to put this in the OP too but here it is http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-the-choices-of-the-witcher-2-mean-in-the-witc/1100-6427400/

When you start the game on consoles you will be able to start with a default world state or you can bring over decisions made in the 2nd game. This Gamespot article outlines the questions asked as well as the details on the events/people involved.
Is there a time limit when we're presented with these choices? I'm going to read through and decide my answers now, just curious if in-game it's timed.

Is there a time limit when we're presented with these choices? I'm going to read through and decide my answers now, just curious if in-game it's timed.
Hm I cannot imagine there is a time limit, likely just will sit on a blank screen for a long time haha.

I always let as many people live as possible in games my first playthrough is possible so I will be going with...

Letting Aryan live, siding with Iorveth, saving Saskia, Saving Sile and letting Letho walk. I honestly barely remember the story since it has been so long since Wticher 2 came out! I feel like at least that article gives a decent idea and then on top of that CDPR said that they are going to make it an easy transition for new people so likely strong background info will be provided early in game.

Hm I cannot imagine there is a time limit, likely just will sit on a blank screen for a long time haha.

I always let as many people live as possible in games my first playthrough is possible so I will be going with...

Letting Aryan live, siding with Iorveth, saving Saskia, Saving Sile and letting Letho walk. I honestly barely remember the story since it has been so long since Wticher 2 came out! I feel like at least that article gives a decent idea and then on top of that CDPR said that they are going to make it an easy transition for new people so likely strong background info will be provided early in game.
This is what I'm thinking I'll do for my choices; SPOILERS!!!

Q1: Choice 1: Did you kill Aryan La Valette, or allow him to live?
A1: Allow him to live

Q2: Did you leave Flotsam with Vernon Roche, or with Iorveth?
A2: Side with Iorveth

Q3: (Iorveth's Path): Did you save Triss at the Loc Muinne summit, or did you lift the spell that held Saskia?
A3: Save Triss

Q4: Did you save Síle de Tansarville from her defective megascope, or did you let her perish?
A4: Let her perish

Q5: Did you kill Letho, or allow him to walk free?
A5: Walk free

Havent read much about the game but i might pick this up. Any idea if ps4 remote play works for this game? I should have preordered. Now iiased out on steel books.

Havent read much about the game but i might pick this up. Any idea if ps4 remote play works for this game? I should have preordered. Now iiased out on steel books.
They talked about it back in 2013 that they would have controls that would work well on Vita. I haven't heard/read anything since then though.

And yeah all the steelbooks look awesome for this game. Unfortunately money is tight so I already found buyers for all of mine hah

[quote name="BrolyB593" post="12696855" timestamp="1431984874"]They talked about it back in 2013 that they would have controls that would work well on Vita. I haven't heard/read anything since then though.

And yeah all the steelbooks look awesome for this game. Unfortunately money is tight so I already found buyers for all of mine hah[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Hehe! I will have to hold off then. I usually want a good remote play function when buying games now. It definielt gave my vita its 2nd life so to speak. Hehe!

Man, Definitely my fault for not checking up on this game. I actually thought it was xbox exclusive at first. Lol! Oh well.

Thanks for the info. Hehe! I will have to hold off then. I usually want a good remote play function when buying games now. It definielt gave my vita its 2nd life so to speak. Hehe! Man, Definitely my fault for not checking up on this game. I actually thought it was xbox exclusive at first. Lol! Oh well.
The way they have been marketing lately you would think it is. All the ads specify Xbox One and have no mention of other versions. Plus the CE has more content with X1.

My deciding factor though was that they blatantly said it was easier to program for the PS4. So it is funny probably after that Microsoft was like... shit we need to sway this back in our favor!

Regardless I am just sitting here impatiently waiting at work. For the last like 30 minutes I have not cared to do anything and am just sitting and waiting for it to turn 5 so I can rush to the train and stand there for another hour... waiting... AND THENNNN finally be home pretty much right when the digital version unlocks : D

Haha! I think the last video i saw about this game was the CE unboxing my Mjr Nelson and he mentioned it was exclusive or skmething so that was that. Haha!

I can actually can still preorder and pick it up at 9pm tonight. The last time i had to do midnight release was destiny, and that was midnight. And i just recently found out that west coast do releases at 9 to coincide with the east time. Hehe

I am so excited for this game. I ended up really disliking Dragon Age Inquisition after about 25 hours in because it felt too much like a MMO. This feels like a proper WRPG and to top it off the world is massive.

I have not played it yet but it looks like this will be the best WRPG since Skyrim and while I love the freedom of Elder Scrolls games, this has a story and sidequests I will give a damn about.

Your wrong

I am so excited for this game. I ended up really disliking Dragon Age Inquisition after about 25 hours in because it felt too much like a MMO. This feels like a proper WRPG and to top it off the world is massive.

I have not played it yet but it looks like this will be the best WRPG since Skyrim and while I love the freedom of Elder Scrolls games, this has a story and sidequests I will give a damn about.
I enjoyed Dragon Age a great deal but it grew old after a while. While I feel DA was a great RPG overall I am REALLY loving the set up of the Witcher 3. I have heard it compared to a medieval Red Dead RPG and I can totally see that... which is great.

Your wrong
Yeah care to explain?

I actually skipped past the part to make decisions apparently I think... it says 'simulate game save or something and I said yes but I guess that meant to simulate as if you already had one and just go from there. Oh well I guess I will be going with the basic game state which is what the devs probably consider the main route. I realized this a bit in and did not care to restart because I was having too much fun!

I will say Death March definitely is giving me a run for my money. Especially early on when EVERYTHING outlevels you, it is pretty much a hit or two and you are dead. Really have to quickly master the combat system or else you are toast hah

Should I just youtube the story of Witcher 1 & 2? Or should I at least play 2? I have all two games and the third one coming tomorrow.

You don't really have to play the earlier ones to get into this one. I am sure yeah there are some youtube or text summaries somewhere that can get you acquainted enough if you really want though yeah. If you plan on beating one and two before you even touch three you are looking at 100 hours or so however so really that is your call. Seems silly to get the newest one just to have it sit but that is just me!

Looks like the decision making part from the previous game occurs after the lengthy prologue-type sequence with hunting the Griffin by the way! Just got there and am calling it a night. Absolutely amazing game so far!

bread's done
Back