* * * * - 3 votes

Sony Playstation TV $39.99 Free Shipping

sony playstation tv vita

#1 kingcobra1215   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   34 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

kingcobra1215

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:32 AM

Mainly getting this to be able to stream and play my PS4 games in another room.

However, I believe the PS TV is no longer supported by Sony, someone correct me if that is incorrect.

Not a bad deal for $39.99 free shipping considering it was originally $99.99.

http://www.gamestop....v-system/115547

#2 kickrockz713   Say it again CAGiversary!   10675 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

kickrockz713

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:37 AM

Very much worth it at this price. If I hadn't gotten the bundle during the Amazon lightning deal, I'd probably bite on this.

#3 darpogamer   RPG Gamer4Life CAGiversary!   299 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:57 AM

For someone with neither a Vita or PS4, is thing this useless to me? Or can I buy PS1 Classics on it?

#4 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1736 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:01 AM

You can play PSOne games, PSP games, and SOME Vita games. Anything that makes use of the back touchpad or touchscreen is off-limits.

I don't think the Playstation TV has been put out to pasture... yet. It's starting to look like that will be its fate, though. There's not enough Playstation and there's not enough TV in it... Sony really should have thought this one through first.

#5 bgrngod   CE/SE/LE/UE/PE/ME whore CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:13 AM

Successful price match in store at Best Buy. Wooop!

#6 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:14 AM

great deal. that is what price it picked it up at. it is jrpg/otaku gaming machine. you can price match it at bestbuy, if you don't want to wait 2 days

#7 YBX87   CAGiversary! Banned   14405 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:19 AM

nvm wrong thread

#8 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3123 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:19 AM

It's stupid you can't play Disgaea 3 on it.

#9 Sludgepond   The Trigger CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Sludgepond

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:27 AM

Worth it at this price if you want to stream your PS4 to another room.  (Assuming you have a decent wireless router or both are wired)

Got mine at the first price cut and got it today.  I'm impressed how well the streaming works.  I have it set up wireless and I'd imaging it would be even better on all wired connections.

Surprised there still is no Netflix but it has Hulu so that's something.

#10 darpogamer   RPG Gamer4Life CAGiversary!   299 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:41 AM

You can play PSOne games, PSP games, and SOME Vita games. Anything that makes use of the back touchpad or touchscreen is off-limits.

I don't think the Playstation TV has been put out to pasture... yet. It's starting to look like that will be its fate, though. There's not enough Playstation and there's not enough TV in it... Sony really should have thought this one through first.

If I bought games on it, could they be transferred to a Vita if I got one? Sorry, I know nothing about Sony's account systems.

#11 KemperJones   MSRP is for suckers. CAGiversary!   1213 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

KemperJones

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:57 AM

I'm about to move and this would be perfect for the room I'll have the other TV in. Decisions, decisions.

#12 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1736 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:03 AM

If I bought games on it, could they be transferred to a Vita if I got one? Sorry, I know nothing about Sony's account systems.

I believe you can download your games to three different portable systems, and I presume the PSTV would count as one of those. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#13 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2615 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:09 AM

Some?.... how about most. Personally I only have 3 I can't play on my PSTV, but can on my Vita. (I have both now due to the Amazon Lightning deal)

Refer to Frisky's PSTV compatibility list.

https://www.cheapass...-and-ps-mobile/

I count 29 *RED* titles (can't play on PSTV) of the nearly 200 Vita titles.

Yes. the PSTV shows up in your account as a "Vita" so you can have the games on both.

PSTV is worth it for PS4 remote play alone. 

Just remember the biggest problem with the PSTV/Vita is the  Fuck 'ing Memory cards are  Fuck 'ing expensive. Thanks Sony..

Watch for a 64GB card on sale, it's worth it. 

Edit: Also.. buy a DS4 for the PSTV. Remote playing a PS4 title with a DS3 controller...  :wall:

#14 meta460085   Meta4ik CAGiversary!   396 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

meta460085

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:15 AM

I picked one up last Amazon Lighting deal, this thing is an abomination and I love it, they need to fix the aspect ratio issue with ps1 games unlike the vita they don't allow stretching to 16x9 which is an issue since mine is hooked up to a plasma and there is image retention that happens after long sessions nothing permanent but allowing stretching would fix it.

#15 bgrngod   CE/SE/LE/UE/PE/ME whore CAGiversary!   626 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:15 AM

Your purchases are tied to your account, not your system. It's just like with you upgrade your phone. You can reinstall stuff in the other device. Sony limits how many active devices you can have at once, but it is a generous number of devices.

#16 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   806 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:18 AM

I got mine in the bundle and played it for like two hours total in the past six months. Some of the games that are listed as compatible actually have points where they become unplayable. You can forget rubbing motions or things that require blowing into the microphone (which is why all the good games that utilize the Vita's functions are not compatible.)  If you're trying to play Persona 4 Golden, it is good option.

Just remember to buy the PS3/PS4 controller and an 8gb minimum (16GB recommended) memory card to download patches and the many digital only releases. There is a cartridge slot hidden on the side as well for all the Vita clearances that have happened in the past few months.

#17 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11155 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:19 AM

Not entirely true. Clicking L3 creates a cursor which you can use to "touch" the front screen and clicking the R3 button creates a cursor which touches the back pad relative to its location on the screen. It wouldn't be very workable if you need it for twitchy action type games, but slower paced games or virtual novels it works fine.

#18 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2615 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:21 AM

Of the big 3 gaming companies, how they handle digital game purchases.. 

Sony = 1st

MS = 2nd (close 2nd)

Nintendo = 85th.. not even close.

#19 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAGiversary!   721 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

Wait... I'm not too familiar with this device either. As someone who has a PS4 with 2 controllers, I can set this up in another room and play my games? My connection is great. Would I need a memory card if I used this primarily for that reason?

#20 dtcgb  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:37 AM

Wait... I'm not too familiar with this device either. As someone who has a PS4 with 2 controllers, I can set this up in another room and play my games? My connection is great. Would I need a memory card if I used this primarily for that reason?

No, it has 1GB of built in storage. I don't think any storage needs to be allocated for streaming your PS4 though. 

#21 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   806 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:38 AM

You would have to sync one of the PS4 controllers to the device, but no memory cards are needed for remote play. I would recommend using the Ethernet ports to ensure the best connection.

#22 zackL04   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   152 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up.  If only this had netflix or Prime, my wife would make me buy more.

#23 LecherousMonk86   People...Please! CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

LecherousMonk86

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

I have a $5 off coupon from GS (powerup rewards). Any way I can apply it to a online order? I'd like to by the PS TV with the coupon.

#24 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3123 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up.  If only this had netflix or Prime, my wife would make me buy more.

I think vita has netflix, not sure about amazon.  It does, it also has Crackle, Hulu, and Crunchyroll.  Really, it's a very nice streaming system that plays a bunch of really awesome games, for $40.

#25 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2615 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:53 AM

I think vita has netflix, not sure about amazon.

The Vita does, and for whatever reason I guess it doesn't work on the PSTV. Mine is packed up right now (mid move) so I can't verify 

#26 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22713 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:54 AM

Is there a CFW for this? Wouldn't mind a little emulator machine for SNES games. 

#27 CrepeNuts  

CrepeNuts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:44 AM

I have a $5 off coupon from GS (powerup rewards). Any way I can apply it to a online order? I'd like to by the PS TV with the coupon.

I have a $10 coupon and had no idea how to apply it. I'm thinking once i get it i'll return and rebuy with the discount... hopefully.

#28 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:00 AM

Good deal.  I already got in on one at $80 months ago, but this is the best new console $40 can buy.

#29 cable0002   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   2 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

cable0002

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

It's time for Amazon to Price Match

#30 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5339 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

I think they already did when this dropped to $49.99 a couple of weeks ago, and it quickly sold out.