Game Magazine Subscription advice

potatohog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I want to subscribe to a game magazine for a year. Even if only for nostalgia of a time of reading game magazines before there was good internet. Right now I own a XBox One.

What game magazines are good?

Doing a web search seems to lead me to (free) Game Informer with the GameStop $15 renewal being the best. But I'm not opposed to a different game magazine.

Everybody practically has a Game Informer if you do regular shopping at GameStop. Sure 10% is sales tax, but it does add up if you regularly stock up on games there. Luckily I live in an area where enough people aren't filthy savages with their stuff.

There aren't many gaming magazines that are geared directly toward Cheapasses, since the industry didn't adapt well to the internet age. There are things like Retro Magazine, former sponsors of the CAGCast, but they are a bimonthly publication and costs $25.

You honestly don't have that many options... if you go to a store, I think the only magazines you'll see on retail racks are Game Informer and Official Xbox Magazine. There's also stuff like Nintendo Force and EGM, stuff that you won't see in retail stands and are depended on the actual subscription revenues rather than subscriber volume, so they're not cheap. There's a few others like this but I don't know them off the top of my head. 

I've had GameInformer for the last 6-7 years. A lot of people will dismiss the magazine because it's owned by Gamestop but I find it a decent read, especially since they cover nearly every platform (consoles, mobile and PC) and have neat features (love their Retro section). 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had a Wii U or 3DS, I'd recommend Nintendo Force any day of the week (the spiritual successor to Nintendo Power. Outside of magazines already mentioned here, there's not too many options for Xbox magazines.

bread's done
Back