$5 Strategy Guides at 5 Below!

Inventory between different stores will vary. That being said, thanks for the reminder I'll stop by today after work to see what's available.

"5 Below"? WTH is that, Jar Jar (other than full disclosure to be followed by details about your Ferrari and other ways you compensate)?

Seems that we accidentally landed on Cheap Ass Obscure Regional mom and pop store gamer

Seems that we accidentally landed on Cheap Ass Obscure Regional mom and pop store gamer
360 stores in 21 states, so it spans multiple regions and is far from being a mom-and-pop store. There are threads for Five Below finds fairly regularly, but they are usually very YMMV.

I've never heard of them, but there's apparently two or three within a short drive from me.

Before I go could someone tell me what this store is? I don't want to be browsing around a store geared toward 12 year olds...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of them, but there's apparently two or three within a short drive from me.

Before I go could someone tell me what this store is? I don't want to be browsing around a store geared toward 12 year olds...
OK, it's geared toward children 5 years of age or younger. Hence the name. Sounds like you should be safe from those 12 year olds.

OK, it's geared toward children 5 years of age or younger. Hence the name. Sounds like you should be safe from those 12 year olds.
This is true. 5 below is where all the 5 year Olds that have been kicking your ass on Xbox live get their gta 5 guides.

Yeah, I refer to it as the YOLOSWAG store since it has a bunch of typical stuff like hipster shirts (cats and licensed stuff), those "Kanye" sunglasses, fad stuff like those loop braclet things and generally most of the stuff you'd find in other dollar stores (plastic crates, etc.) only they're in bright neon colors instead of standard black or white.

That being said, they do tend to have a decent DVD (with some TV shows) and Blu-Ray selection most of the time. Gaming wise, it's a crapshoot. They usually do flyers and advertise what games they get in (over 50% of the time it's just Wii/DS/3DS licensed shovelware, I remember Rudolph stuff one Christmas and sometimes some 360 stuff and rarely PS3). Occassionally, they get a few other games, I picked up a new THUG or THUG 2 for the XBox which was cheaper than amazon had at the time for it used. My dad got one of the last years they did The Show for PS2. So generally it's not steals, but for $5 it's never that bad.

For those that saw the guides at their local Five Below, were they in the video game/movie section of the store, or in the book section?  Just trying to get an idea of the best place to look.

For those that saw the guides at their local Five Below, were they in the video game/movie section of the store, or in the book section? Just trying to get an idea of the best place to look.
i checked both books section and video games section nothing in either at mine.. :(

Josef said:
For those that saw the guides at their local Five Below, were they in the video game/movie section of the store, or in the book section? Just trying to get an idea of the best place to look.
Me see them in book section.

I thought it was 5 below because everything is $5 and under...I don't think that Beavis and Butthead lunchboxes are for 5 year olds...I mean, I definitely watched it, but I think thats a stretch.

But yeah, it's a pretty crappy store. At least you guys have Trader Joes and Ikea and Hastings and every other thing I've never seen. 

The store closest to me (Easton, in Columbus OH) has hardcover guides for Last of Us and Tomb Raider for 5 bucks each.  Game-wise, they're generally stocked with Metal Gear Rising, Beyblade Evolution CE, and some shovelware wii games.

But those guides.

They also have game themed candy (tins shaped like Mario, stars, mushrooms, Pac-Man ghosts, etc) and gatcha figures for Zelda and Sonic.  The figures are like 6 bucks at Gamestop, the 5 below has them for 3-4 a piece.

"5 Below"? WTH is that, Jar Jar (other than full disclosure to be followed by details about your Ferrari and other ways you compensate)?
Jar Jar? His avatar is The Cookie Monster. Is Sesame Street not on TV anymore?

Sounds like me with Fry's Electronics. Hope you enjoy that store that I'm always reading about on here ;)
Just moved away from a Fry's (and Five Below and Microcenter and Microsoft Store). Miss them already.

I find that whenever someone posts a new find at Five Below here at CAG, it usually doesn't show up at my store for a little while.
My Atlanta area store was like that, too.

Checking prices on AZ you won't make much if you want to flip, but if you have an interest in owning definitely a good price; about $10 less (plus shipping) vs. AZ prices from 3rd parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to OP, got the 2 guides he mentioned for 5 bucks. did not see any other guides on sale but saw tons of MG rising copies for 360/ps3

Joliet, IL (by the Louis Joliet Mall) had a stack of maybe seven Last of Us Limited Ed guides but no GTA5 guides.  Also the bajillion copies of MG Rising Rev. (PS3/X360) and Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

My local 5 Below (mentioned above) now has a stack of GTA 5 limited Edition hardbacks as well as a couple remaining TLoU Limited ed. hardbacks.  They didn't have the GTA 5's last week so might be worth looking for new stock if you struck out previously.  No Tomb Raiders, sadly.

Anybody in NJ find any of these, Ive been to 4 different stores, a few times on varies road trips, incorporating a special stop just to look for these, and all I find are minecraft, Ive even asked the employees, and nothing ;-(

bread's done
Back