Is the Metal Gear Solid Grey PS3 rare at all?

Hoping

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I bought a MGS Grey PS3, 40GB phat model from Gamestop a few days ago but unfortunately I didn't do my research and it's louder than I had hoped. Apparently it was the last one within 100 miles of the Bay Area in CA and they don't sell it online. The front is pretty dinged up with several spots where paint has rubbed off and it's now black instead of grey. There is also many other smaller black spots on it. It didn't come with the MGS Grey controller either.

Should I return it since it doesn't have much collector's value because of the cosmetic damage? Is it worth it to buy the 2 year warranty for 19.99 because if there's hardware failure within 2 years, GS will replace it with another one (hopefully not as dinged up)? Or just get the PS3 slim.

I came across this thread : https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/170924-ps3-gunmetal-grey-metal-gear-solid-4-kojima-bundle-400-pre-order-at-amazon/

Can anyone from that many years ago tell me the quick history lesson of what happened? it sounded like it wasn't very rare but it's been years since then.

2401724641_c9bbdc8b62.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main reason its not as sought after is because of the high almost guaranteed failure rate of the any fat ps3. Even with the ability to play ps2 games couldn't save the value of those fat ps3s from tanking. The slim ps3 is just worlds better in quality. Super slim is just ok.
And yes that ps3 will fail its only a matter of time & if gamestop replaces it I'm guessing it won't be with a mgs4 version but with a regular fat ps3.

It didn't have PS2 backward compatibility while the "vanilla" MGS4 bundle with the black PS3 did. I think that's why nobody wanted it.

It didn't have PS2 backward compatibility while the "vanilla" MGS4 bundle with the black PS3 did. I think that's why nobody wanted it.
Oh god... I remember trying to get one of these. My brother had me on the look out when these went live since he wanted one but couldn't b/c he worked. They were initially sold in Konami's store and they only sold a few per day for a few days. This was basically a 40GB PS3 with the gunmetal color and a copy of MGS4 LE. Out of pocket cost was almost $680 (after shipping and taxes). I think the 40GB PS3 was like $400 at the time so this was pretty fucking steep but given how limited Konami made these out of be, a ton of people were trying to get one.

Eventually... it became clear that these weren't that rare and after a week or two of limited daily sales, these stayed up on Konami's site. And the cut the price. And eventually a bunch of these went up on Amazon and even went on sale there (for $350, I think).

OP, it's a cool piece and somewhere down the line, it'll probably end up appreciating in value. If it works fine, I'd consider keeping. It might be really dusty inside and/or just need the thermal compound. If you're somewhat handy with electronics, it's pretty easy to open that sucker up, clean it, and replace the thermal compound. It does take a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god... I remember trying to get one of these. My brother had me on the look out when these went live since he wanted one but couldn't b/c he worked. They were initially sold in Konami's store and they only sold a few per day for a few days. This was basically a 40GB PS3 with the gunmetal color and a copy of MGS4 LE. Out of pocket cost was almost $680 (after shipping and taxes). I think the 40GB PS3 was like $400 at the time so this was pretty fucking steep but given how limited Konami made these out of be, a ton of people were trying to get one.

Eventually... it became clear that these weren't that rare and after a week or two of limited daily sales, these stayed up on Konami's site. And the cut the price. And eventually a bunch of these went up on Amazon and even went on sale there (for $350, I think).

OP, it's a cool piece and somewhere down the line, it'll probably end up appreciating in value. If it works fine, I'd consider keeping. It might be really dusty inside and/or just need the thermal compound. If you're somewhat handy with electronics, it's pretty easy to open that sucker up, clean it, and replace the thermal compound. It does take a few hours.
My wife knows I'm a huge Metal Gear fan and got me a bundle that was like new off of ebay for $250 last christmas. It's a nice looking console!

bread's done
Back