Steam Machine finally available for pre order $449.99 - $749.99

the machine is NOT a deal in itself.

but we all know Steam has legendary deals - this is a way for non PC gamers to finally get in on those!

Gamestop has Steam Machines from Alienware up for presale, $449.99 - $749.99

they look pretty sweet - if you can get the gamestop.com site to work

http://www.gamestop.com/steammachine

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-steam+machine,28zu0

These are a deal because of the following (for CAG flippers, anyway):

Plunk down for a Steam Machine, Steam Controller, or Steam Link today, and you could have them by Oct. 16 (weeks before the Nov. 10 launch date).

and I'm ready for all the love I'll receive from this! 

Last edited by a moderator:
...Certainly bringing the crazy to the table.

In keeping with the theme of the op, there's no need to buy a box from alienware to spend money on steam deals.

Getting this machine without Windows is not a good deal. Getting this machine with a processor faster than the i3 pushing the same 960m GPU is not a good deal. The base Alienware Alpha with the same hardware that has been available since last winter for $330 or less at times has been a good deal. 

The steambox's are a big ripoff, but I will be looking into the Steam Link
The Syber line isn't bad, you can manage some decent configs:

http://www.sybergaming.com/products/steam-machine.aspx

Still needs Windows though.

The Link is saddled with a 10/100 nic and with the effort I've put into my home network in preparation specifically for Steam streaming I'm angrily looking at alternatives now.

That Steam controller? I'm totally sold, gimme gimme.

Nobody should buy these. You can put together a more powerful PC for the price and choose the parts you want. It's as easy as building a lego set. If you want to play the games on your TV, you can plug in via HDMI or use a Steamlink box to stream via your wifi network. The best part is you have the option to use any console controller you desire.

Nobody should buy these. You can put together a more powerful PC for the price and choose the parts you want. It's as easy as building a lego set. If you want to play the games on your TV, you can plug in via HDMI or use a Steamlink box to stream via your wifi network. The best part is you have the option to use any console controller you desire.
agree, here a link too a build it yourself with a outline of price range an the power you get for the price. it not 100% do this but a good outline too help you if trying see how much you should save or you want too spend

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Read about this on Destructoid yesterday and I must admit I was intrigued but how do the specs of these compare to that of a PS4 or an XB1? I probably won't buy one since I already own way more games than I can play in a lifetime but I'm just curious.

I would rather buy a Steam machine than a PS4 or XBO.  The thing that the Steam machines have over the PC is the form factor.  Alpha's are smaller than either of the 2 consoles I mentioned above.  The only problem with it is that the GCU is not upgradeable.

The more Steam machines the better.  Hopefully the competition will drive down the prices.

I would rather buy a Steam machine than a PS4 or XBO. The thing that the Steam machines have over the PC is the form factor. Alpha's are smaller than either of the 2 consoles I mentioned above. The only problem with it is that the GCU is not upgradeable.

The more Steam machines the better. Hopefully the competition will drive down the prices.
Funny I have a PS4 and XB1 for the price of a top end steam machine, with better exclusives! :)

I don't think the 449 price is that awful for what you get, you can certainly start building better PCs for anything above that price though.

Funny I have a PS4 and XB1 for the price of a top end steam machine, with better exclusives! :)
Eh, to each their own. PC has tons of exclusives that are great, plus modding communities for PC are awesome. I hope the consoles will start allowing mods more often.

Yeah... what exclusives are we touting for Xbox One and PS4? I've got my One... and my biggest complaint is lack of console sellers or must-have games... at least PC has the endless modding community and access to the best graphics available.

I've been a console gamer my whole life (28 years meow)... and this generation of consoles have been slowly pushing me to PC due to the constant need to be online interacting with a server, constant rehash of last generations games, and simply not being that impressed by this generations upgrades.

Plus Xcom2 is going to seal the deal.

I will say this though. As much as I love saving money on console games, nothing compares to the humble bundles. I have almost 400 games on my PC thanks to them. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Yeah... what exclusives are we touting for Xbox One and PS4? I've got my One... and my biggest complaint is lack of console sellers or must-have games... at least PC has the endless modding community and access to the best graphics available.
I've been a console gamer my whole life (28 years meow)... and this generation of consoles have been slowly pushing me to PC due to the constant need to be online interacting with a server, constant rehash of last generations games, and simply not being that impressed by this generations upgrades.
Plus Xcom2 is going to seal the deal.
Plus backwards compatibility of the PC games.

If they exist, and I hope they do, get one that can be EASILY upgraded/fixed. I'd put function over form here...but then again I may be a member of the master race

I have no clue how to build a PC or what to even buy. Someone link me :(
Here's a link for shopping help (& other ideas,) but I do suggest reading up on your desired build: PCPartpicker

1.) If money may be an issue, pick a budget

2.) Read up on the major components and decide what mfr. of CPU, SSD/HDD, GPU, MOBO, & PSU you feel confident purchasing.

3.) Make sure these parts are compatible - If you've survived shopping around, this should be something you've already encountered.

4.) Doesn't require special tools really, but try to acquire a A-S wrist strap & follow the precautionary electrical measures.

5.) Build

6.) Induction into PC master race?¿?

*DO NOT skimp on your PSU quality - that doesn't mean buy as many watts as you can. (There are tons of visual guides for this also)

Not in the same form factor with quality of parts you won't.

That said the Alienware alphas from last year can be had for $350-400 sometimes and are a MUCH better offering as they allow you to run full windows and you're not locked down to just steam.

The problem is really Linux (SteamOS for those who don't know is Linux). There's a ton of PC games for Windows. Not nearly as much for Linux and what there is there tends to more on the indie side which hardly needs this sort of hardware to run.

Also Some of the more high profile PC exclusives that will run on Linux like Civ V and Pillars of Eternity (and the hardware requirements for both of those is fairly modest) weren't designed to run on a controller either.

I know Valve is supposed to have designed this controller with that in mind to run any PC game but still people may want to wait for reviews to come in for playing non controller games on this iteration of the Steambox controller.

If you search Steam there's about 12,000 Windows games while about 2,300 Linux ones. And again the bulk of those Linux games are going to be indie which have very low hardware requirements and people could probably just as easily run on their old laptops or whatever.

Oh and you can still get a SteamOS feel running Windows since you can run Steam in Big Picture mode which essentially does what SteamOS does and lets you navigate around with a controller in a more console-like UI.

If only they made one that can be upgraded then I would be all over this. Otherwise until then I'll be happy with my personal build.

jeffcrazy should be get neweggjeff treatment.
I don't know what that means, but I'm open to things.

Guys, can we stay on topic? No more pc building talk, please. This thread is for a console.

Why do they not tell you what kind of GPU your getting? All is says is nvidia GTX 2GB.

I would stay faaaaar away from these Steam Machines guys. If your looking to get into PC gaming with a machine that is similar in price to a console there is plenty of help out there for you. Im sure people in the PC section on CAG would be more than happy to help you get the parts together.

Why do they not tell you what kind of GPU your getting? All is says is nvidia GTX 2GB.

I would stay faaaaar away from these Steam Machines guys. If your looking to get into PC gaming with a machine that is similar in price to a console there is plenty of help out there for you. Im sure people in the PC section on CAG would be more than happy to help you get the parts together.
Many people like the form factor of a console that's why these are intriguing. I spent forever hunting for a case that was horizontal that I could sit on a entertainment stand but never found one and had to settle for a regular pc case. But I do agree in waiting on this particular one since it doesn't mention what the card is.

I am a born and raised console gamer since colecovision. I always wanted to try PC gaming and when I got the chance to grab Alienware Alpha for $330, I did. The best review I read called the alpha "The gateway drug to PC gaming." I cant begin to tell you how right they were. The machine is great, Im running Witcher 3 on it at a mix of medium and high settings and getting much better framerates than console. With that being said, I am hooked in and already started my build. (Cant wait for my mobo and 980 card to get here!!) If anyone is thinking about it, get the alpha NOW while it still comes with windows 8. Once my build is done, ill move the alpha to my living room as a great HTPC running kodi and hyperspin. It is a cool little box and if you get it on sale + best buy trade credit like i did, youll be happy. NOBODY can build a rig for $330-$350 that will run games like the alpha does. And if it helps a console gamer find out how amazing PC gaming is, its a win/win. 

I will probably pick one of these up when they inevitably drop do the mid $100 range. I'm not big into PC gaming, but Steam deal are something I always wanted to be able to take advantage of. Once the price is right on one of these, I will

You don't need a gaming pc or this to buy steam games. I had over 200 games before I had any capable pc.

bread's done
Back