Hard Drive deals? 3.5" 3TB and up, please.

Captain Wrong

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Looks like one of the drive in my Drobo took a shit. Honestly, I'm probably needing to increase the size anyway. So, I'm a bit out of the game, but I'm looking for a couple of 3.5" drives of at least 3TB or higher for using as backups. Thanks!

What drives are in there now?

For a NAS, it's best to go with a WD Red/Red Pro or Seagate NAS drive, as they're rated for 24/7 NAS operations.

I'd keep an eye on out NewEgg.com for deals on those drives.

Yeah, I'm checking on the Egg. Honestly, I'm just using the Drobo as a Time Machine backup. I think last round, I went all Toshiba for whatever reason and I think that was 3 or 4 years ago. Just outside of warranty, naturally. lol

Perfect!! I missed that one. Thanks!

(Been thinking about re-upping for their emails. If only they didn't send so damn many...)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name="Captain Wrong" post="12735321" timestamp="1433893753"]Perfect!! I missed that one. Thanks!

(Been thinking about re-upping for their emails. If only they didn't send so damn many...)[/quote]
I have five of the 1TB RE4s and they have been bulletproof for almost three years.

That study is on non-RAID class drives ran 24x7 in a scenario that is well in excess of any retail use.

If Backblaze actually gave a shit about the data they're backing up, they wouldn't be using consumer drives pulled from external enclosures because that was the cheapest way they could get drives. They should be using RAID-class drives designed to work 24/7.

Not sure how you've made any point worth making.

The fact is that Seagate drives have the highest rate of failure of any manufacturer.

I use Seagate and WD drives for personal use (much more WD than Seagate) and have had one bad WD and no bad Seagate drives.  For  work, I've seen WD, Seagate and Hitachi all fail with equal frequency.

If you're worried about reliability, get a drive with as high of warranty as you can afford, 5 years preferred, and if you're using drives in a NAS, use drives rated for that use.  If the data is important, back it up via as many means as you can afford.

Going back to the OP's request for replacement >= 3TB NAS drives, here's one option:

3TB WD Red Pro (7200rpm / 5 yr warranty): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236740&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL061115&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL061115&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL061115-_-EMC-061115-Index-_-AllDesktopHardDrives-_-22236740-S1A3C

$154.99 after a coupon code, with free shipping.

These will likely be the drives I start putting into my NAS when it's time to cycle out the 1TB WD RE4s in there currently.

It's funny. I've been doing IT shit for a long time and honestly, I've had drives of every make under the sun crap out on me at one time or another. It's almost cyclical. Couple of years, brand X is shit. Then they're great and it's brand Y you want to avoid. Rinse and repeat.

This:

If the data is important, back it up via as many means as you can afford.
is about the only truism there is.

bread's done
Back