Having any issues with using a controller on Steam...

MasaTFC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
423 (100%)
Hopefully someone can help out here.

I tried to play Deadly Premonition today on Steam, but in the settings menu where you click on the controller, I could not select it. I dug around online and I am not sure what to do. The controller is a Xbox 360 Plug n Play kit. The driver seems to be the most current one and I am running Windows 8.1. I have tried setting the device as the "preferred" controller in the PC settings, and I have disabled the HID as those were both (separate) suggestions on how to fix it. I am to understand that while this happens with Deadly Premonition that there are other games out there (Dark Souls for example) that this happens with as well.

Does anybody have a work around for this issue? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried restarting the computer at all? Sometimes that works. You may also want to try running the game in windows 98 compatibility mode as I know that has worked sometimes. Deadly Premonition had problems with the controller that were supposed to be patched (not sure if they ever were) so it could be a problem with the game itself and not necessarily your PC.

Have you tried restarting the computer at all? Sometimes that works. You may also want to try running the game in windows 98 compatibility mode as I know that has worked sometimes. Deadly Premonition had problems with the controller that were supposed to be patched (not sure if they ever were) so it could be a problem with the game itself and not necessarily your PC.
I read some crazy stuff on the steam forums, looks like it has not been patched though...

The keywords are Xbox 360 Plug and Play. You need this for the wireless controller.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/windows/xbox-360-wireless-gaming-receiver-windows

Or a wired controller works.
That's two for the "doesn't work" vote. Well I guess I will be trading in the RROD 360 I have for a wired controller, thanks man.

Any other suggestions are still welcome!

That's two for the "doesn't work" vote. Well I guess I will be trading in the RROD 360 I have for a wired controller, thanks man.

Any other suggestions are still welcome!
No suggestions needed. You have the answer. The Play & Charge Kit does what it says and charges via cable only while still functioning wirelessly. So, you either need a wireless USB receiver for your existing controller or a wired USB controller.

Yeah, the Xbox 360 controller is not PS3 controller. Wonder why Microsoft wouldn't shell out the extra few cents to make their wireless compatible with both.

bread's done
Back