PS4 Hard Drive Upgrade advice

lakerfanalways

CAGiversary!
Hi everyone, I posted this on another forum but didnt get any response so Im trying here :)
I am considering upgrading my PS4's hard drive, either to a 1TB or a 2TB..the 2TB that I have seen around is the
ST2000LM003 Samsung/Seagate one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6822178627
Not sure if I can find it cheaper somewhere else(Right now amazon has it but through a third party vendor) anywho, its between that one and the Seagate 1TB SSHD one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...nk20241-20 the SSHD one is much cheaper and supposedly loads games quicker but Im just not sure what to go with. I want to get a hard drive that I dont have to worry anymore about downloading games(I get the freebie games from the PSN store but everything else is on disc and those installs are around 50gb depending on the game) Im not sure if the 2TB drive has faster load times or if its basically the same as the hard drive that comes with the PS4..any advice would be great. Either way Im waiting til E3 to find out what sony will introduce, even if they release the Nyko external hard drive not sure if that would be better than just upgrading the internal hard drive

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have the one you linked from newegg. Got mine on ebay for $80 its a decent drive. Loading speeds speed are slight faster than stock ps4 drive.

I have the 1tb sshd. I do like it. It is quicker than stock. I also feel it gets a bit quicker the more I play one game. If I bounce around, not so much. Could be a placebo effect as well.

Speed is close with the bigger platter size. I wasn't ready to jump on the 2tb 9.5" train yet. I feel I manage my games well and don't need nor like to see every game I own on the XMB. I felt the 1tb platform was a proven winner. Very happy with my purchase.

Plus, who's to say Sony won't opt for external support a la Xbox one.

Yeah thats why Im waiting to see what happens at E3..I want to see what Sony introduces..I wanted to get that 2TB drive from amazon but right now they dont have it in stock, only through a third party seller but fulfilled by amazon..I have a 20 dollar promotional credit with amazon but it wont work unless the item is sold through amazon directly so I have to wait til they have more in stock. I figured a 2TB drive would make more sense since I wouldnt have to constantly worry about having enough space..the 1TB SSHD drive looks nice and for 79 bucks minus 20 through amazon(Since they have that drive in stock) it would be great but still would have to worry about hard drive space since I think after I put in all my games I would have around 700gb remaining..Does the SSHD have a huge difference in load times or is it only a matter of seconds..just not sure what to do at this point, want to wait til amazon has that 2TB in stock then will see what happens

Yeah thats why Im waiting to see what happens at E3..I want to see what Sony introduces..I wanted to get that 2TB drive from amazon but right now they dont have it in stock, only through a third party seller but fulfilled by amazon..I have a 20 dollar promotional credit with amazon but it wont work unless the item is sold through amazon directly so I have to wait til they have more in stock. I figured a 2TB drive would make more sense since I wouldnt have to constantly worry about having enough space..the 1TB SSHD drive looks nice and for 79 bucks minus 20 through amazon(Since they have that drive in stock) it would be great but still would have to worry about hard drive space since I think after I put in all my games I would have around 700gb remaining..Does the SSHD have a huge difference in load times or is it only a matter of seconds..just not sure what to do at this point, want to wait til amazon has that 2TB in stock then will see what happens
I don't have an SSHD installed so I can't offer any comparison, but I would hesitate to call the difference in load speeds over standard HDDs "huge." It's probably between 10 and 20% depending on the game.

$80 for a 2TB HDD seems to be the going price now and has been for the last several months. I'm holding out for $70 or less, hopefully not too much longer. I have a 750GB 5400rpm Seagate running in my PS4 right now and I have already started the process of having to delete certain PS+ games to keep up with new additions to the library.

I wish the PS4 supported USB expansion.  I would love to have an SSD on the inside of the system for games/apps that utilize it well, and USB for games that are mostly unaffected plus for large storage space.

Never did any real tests but my eyes tell me it is faster. My issue is that 2tb 9.5" drives are new. They have s huge platter size that they get there speed from and it is not yet proven itself over s long time. I have seen many people complain the drive died in the ps4 when I was researching my purchased. Most of the complaints were filed by ps4 owners. Kinds swayed my choice.

I was going to buy that Samsung/seagate 2TB drive til I read this

http://www.hotukdeals.com/ask/people-with-2tb-samsung-seagate-hdd-thier-ps4-look-here-2037431#comments

WOW those reports are just HORRIBLE now I Really dont know what to do maybe I should just get the 1TB SSHD drive this is really frustrating
Do you really really need every game you own in front on you? Can you really play 2tb all at once? If you can find it, I think there is s 1.5tb drive that WD makes. 5400rpm.
My advice, get the 1tb sshd and manage you library. I have more than enough games on my hd and I still have plenty of room

Bloodborne
Witcher 3
BF hardline
Tlou
Wolfenstein
MLB 15
Diablo 3
Risk
PT
BF 4 premium
Lego lord of rings
Shadow of Mordor

Maybe a few more. That's a lot if games instantly accessible. Plus I have room.

Just saying my experience.

Do you really really need every game you own in front on you? Can you really play 2tb all at once? If you can find it, I think there is s 1.5tb drive that WD makes. 5400rpm.
My advice, get the 1tb sshd and manage you library. I have more than enough games on my hd and I still have plenty of room

Bloodborne
Witcher 3
BF hardline
Tlou
Wolfenstein
MLB 15
Diablo 3
Risk
PT
BF 4 premium
Lego lord of rings
Shadow of Mordor

Maybe a few more. That's a lot if games instantly accessible. Plus I have room.

Just saying my experience.
Yeah I understand what you mean I just figured that it would be better to go bigger since than I could have this hard drive for years and not have to replace it..I could download the PS+ games and have them on my hard drive and never worry about running out of space. The only issue I keep on hearing about the 2TB drive is the loud noises it supposedly makes sometimes and how sometimes it will make a loud beep, I dont want a hard drive that does that..Im hoping the Seagate 1TB SSHD doesnt have that problem

Yeah I understand what you mean I just figured that it would be better to go bigger since than I could have this hard drive for years and not have to replace it..I could download the PS+ games and have them on my hard drive and never worry about running out of space. The only issue I keep on hearing about the 2TB drive is the loud noises it supposedly makes sometimes and how sometimes it will make a loud beep, I dont want a hard drive that does that..Im hoping the Seagate 1TB SSHD doesnt have that problem
My 1tb sshd has worked as advertised. None of those issues like you describe on the 2tb. Very happy with my choice. Bigger is always better. I think if you can get over the 1tb vs 2tb thing you'll be super happy.

I'm getting ready to order my 2TB replacement drive. I'd rather have extra space from the start than filling up one drive and swapping g data later.

That being said, I'm still trying to find best deal on a reliable drive. Can anyone confirm that this drive will work inside a PS4?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FRHTTIA/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Sorry for hijacking, but this can probably help others as well.
Thanks for any more info.
That's the drive I plan on getting(Inside its the same samsung/seagate drive that I want) Im getting mine from Newegg tomorrow. I like getting the drive already opened since if you open the enclosure, lets say its defective you cant send it back otherwise I would do the same thing..and dont worry about hijacking the thread you did no such thing. The more I read about different people's hard drive the more info I get so its beneficial to me as well let me know what happens with your selection

bread's done
Back