Shenmue 3 announced, official Kickstarter launched!

I know Microsoft has a pretty severe minimum amount of physical copies required, maybe Sony does too?  Maybe they will and it just won't be part of the Kickstarter.

They need to have remastered editions of 1 & 2 on current gen platforms too.

Lame that it can't be on Xbox One as well.

Shenmue 1 was on Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 was on Dreamcast and Xbox.

If he can stick to a budget maybe he can put out a demo for only 70 million.

I got in as soon as I could.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:25558]

Damn, this thing is over its goal in less than 24 hours ... that's awesome.
It made record time for a game to not only hit $1 million, but also $2 million. I know it'll slow down after this but I can see this hitting some crazy ass numbers given that it still has 30 days. I don't see any stretch goals but maybe if it goes high enough, we'll see physical PS4 copies... and maybe a remaster of the 1st two games.

Not a fan of the series, but I might finally give the games another chance.

They answered questionsns/concerns like this in their FAQ added this morning. Leaves door open for Xbox one and other platforms, and says Sega still owns license for 1&2 but gave special permission to do the kickstarter for 3.

Also they already have stretch goals up to $4 million with two other cities in the vidor with ? As amounts for those stretch goals so we can assume they are going to be added as the amount raised goes up.

Last edited by a moderator:

95% it will be on XB1 after the Kickstarter. Sony never called it exclusive and the fact that they made a Kickstarter means Sony didn't fund. I can almost guarantee that Microsoft is reaching out today to ask how much to get it to XB1

Supposedly Sony is now funding since it hit its goal.
Hopefully this also means there's a chance of a physical PS4 release.

This isn't a huge exclusive by any means but it should be a good one nonetheless. Also, in order to play the entire series, you'll need 3 consoles (at least in NA)... hah.

I see the logic in ignoring the Xbone initially as it has no presence in Japan at all.  Hopefully it will come over eventually but I'm satisfied with the physical copy for PC.

Supposedly Sony is now funding since it hit its goal.
Being funded by the same division that funds games like No Man Sky and Grim Fandango, which allows for simultaneous PC release, and some time of exclusivity. But not complete exclusivity. So still a chance of Xbox One version 6 months or so after PC/PS4 release. Of course since we are talking 2-3 years from now, it won't be a big deal to pick up a PS4 for cheap by then.

On facebook, they want everyone to contribute $30 on July 3.  I don't get it?  I thought this was already funded.  The hashtag was # saveshenmue.  Figured the stretch goals were just bonuses with the full game already funded by kickstarter and sony.

On facebook, they want everyone to contribute $30 on July 3. I don't get it? I thought this was already funded. The hashtag was # saveshenmue. Figured the stretch goals were just bonuses with the full game already funded by kickstarter and sony.
This doesn't appear to be a normal Kickstarter... it seems like how the Kickstarter is funded will determine how much "external" funding the game gets. Yu Suzuki said that if it reaches $10 million, the game would be a true open world game.

With that said, I'm more curious as to whether Sega will release a HD remake of the first two games. I don't have Shenmue II and prices have skyrocketed for the game. It seems like a no brainer but it's all up to Sega.

This doesn't appear to be a normal Kickstarter... it seems like how the Kickstarter is funded will determine how much "external" funding the game gets. Yu Suzuki said that if it reaches $10 million, the game would be a true open world game.

With that said, I'm more curious as to whether Sega will release a HD remake of the first two games. I don't have Shenmue II and prices have skyrocketed for the game. It seems like a no brainer but it's all up to Sega.
$10 million?! I was thinking $5 million was going to be difficult. They'd better beef up the incentives because I thought the $500 tier was kind of meh and that's after if I had that kind of money for this.

I would so buy Shenmue I and II HD if that happened, preferably on 360/PS3/Vita.

Sony's not giving them much beyond advertising (launching the Kickstarter on their E3 stage) and support for the PS4 port.  Nothing for development.  10 million's what it'll take to fully realize what he wants while 2 million's the bare minimum to do anything.

I just don't see how they would build the game that everyone wants, even for 10 million dollars. Don't get me wrong I'm super excited for everyone that has been waiting for Shenmue 3 all this time, but I just don't see it. The first two games cost about $47 million to make? And that was back in the late 90's without adjusting for inflation. Not to mention that it seems like the Kickstarter has kind of plateaued at 3.4 million for the time being.

I guess even if it's not the big open world game that everyone wants, any type of closure for that series will suffice.

I just don't see how they would build the game that everyone wants, even for 10 million dollars. Don't get me wrong I'm super excited for everyone that has been waiting for Shenmue 3 all this time, but I just don't see it. The first two games cost about $47 million to make? And that was back in the late 90's without adjusting for inflation. Not to mention that it seems like the Kickstarter has kind of plateaued at 3.4 million for the time being.

I guess even if it's not the big open world game that everyone wants, any type of closure for that series will suffice.
Suzuki has likely been internally thinking up of the concept game in his mind for years (not like he's been doing much outside of casual fare) so I'm sure he has the game planned out. If you're wondering how it'll compete with other action/adventure games like GTA or Uncharted, I'm guessing it won't... this'll likely follow in Shenmue's footsteps.

Sony is "funding" the game... which is to say, they're likely paying for a good chunk of the development. Kickstarter is just being used to gauge interest (the $2 million goal was Sony's requirement to fund the game). I'm sure Sony knows the risk they're taking with the game and know that they could lose on a lot of money, but I get the feeling that they're happy with all the hype the annoucement has created and will likely lead to a lot of new sales (ie, people who've never played Shenmue before). They're also using Unreal Engine 4 to make the game, which should help ease development/reduce costs, versus the propitiatory engine developed for the first two Shenmue games.

$47 million included Shenmue 1, some or all of Shenmue 2, and everything they made for the Saturn going all the way back to when it was Virtua Fighter RPG before it was moved to the Dreamcast.  Today, they have the benefit of not having to write the engine (they licensed Unreal Engine 4), and they have all the code and assets from the previous games.

The WItcher 2 got made for $10 million, Wasteland 2 for $6.  Dreamfall: Chapters got made after their Kickstarter made 1.5 million, with a little bit of other funding.  It's a little austere but it's a semi open world adventure.

Stop it with the "Sony's funding the game so don't worry about it" because they're not.  Sony's biggest contribution was letting them announce it at their e3 event.  This perception is holding back what they're trying to raise on Kickstarter.

Stop it with the "Sony's funding the game so don't worry about it" because they're not. Sony's biggest contribution was letting them announce it at their e3 event. This perception is holding back what they're trying to raise on Kickstarter.
But multiple outlets reported that Sony is funding the game in some form...?

EDIT* Nevermind, looks like that wasn't the case as reported days ago. Sony's only doing some marketing.

Yeah, some shitty gaming outlets reported something that wasn't true to get clicks.  Hopefully it doesn't hurt them too much.

The Kickstarter isn't the proof publishers want that there's a market, Shenmue 3 itself will be the proof when it comes out and hopefully they won't have to go back to Kickstarter for Shenmue 4.

New stretch goals! I don't know now about this hitting them.

$11 million seems difficult, when sitting at $3.6 million for awhile now.

Portuguese should have been a $3.6 million stretch goal, not a $5.1 million stretch goal.  Unless, I missing something.  Like the language is too difficult to translate.

Still though, if only I had $500 or $3,000 to contribute to this.

Yu recently clarified that all KS money will go towards development, and said Sony is doing the marketing but he still left if Sony (or some other party) is contributing money to developing the game. He insisted that the game will be his vision for Shenmue III and not be influenced by anyone else.

Still... I feel like there's been too many misconceptions about the KS and the parties involved, and that additional people are hesitant to donate unless they get more info. 

I'm telling you Vinny.  What Sony is giving is marketing support, which is what Shenmue has needed for years.  MS promised to spend a ton on marketing Shenmue 2 but the game didn't receive it which is part of the reason AM2 didn't port Outrun 2 or VC3 to the Xbox.  Yu was sour over getting screwed on Shenmue 2.  It's likely the reason why we hear about this on PS4 as far as consoles are concerned.

Glad to see someone else here, Fooms, is showing their support for Shenmue 3.

I would strongly suggest you all donate so we can hit that $11 million mark and get the Shenmue 3, Yu has been dreaming of in mind.  You see, if we don't make those stretch goals we might still get the content but as DLC down the road.  Wouldn't it be nice for once to have a complete game, in terms of Shenmue 3, that we can use to deride other game developers who give us something half baked than nickel and dime us on dlc?

They're doing great with those limited toys from the previous 2 games, I think they raised another 100k since their twitch the other night.  I think they've done all they can to pump money from their core audience and need to reach out to a broader market though.  I'm also curious about how much support they're getting from Japan through Kickstarter.

They're doing great with those limited toys from the previous 2 games, I think they raised another 100k since their twitch the other night. I think they've done all they can to pump money from their core audience and need to reach out to a broader market though. I'm also curious about how much support they're getting from Japan through Kickstarter.
Well they have a tutorial for Japanese people on how to pledge through KS but I think it would help to list the pledge tiers in Japanese as well like FOVE has. I really feel like FOVE has done a more competent job in appealing to that audience.

I think if they did that better it would truly help shoot the numbers up from Japan.

Last, I watched the Twitch yesterday and the guy in the red shirt was awful. It's one thing to be excited and maybe a bit relaxed but he was not professional in the least. It didn't help when they fixed the audio feed that it was almost impossible to hear things either. It was great to hear they expanded reward tiers but they didn't commit to another permanent higher priced tier like the "Ryo's Jacket-Replica". Doing that with the mirrors would've been a great idea.

This being said, they can do a better Twitch next time. I would like to see them responsive on the KS comments page without waiting for another Twitch feed. They could answer some newly asked questions under the KS comments feed.

Yeah, I didn't think he was necessary.  The guy in the middle was doing fine.

Someone did a pretty nice rendition of the Shenmue theme on the erhu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeQzeqpNS4E

Bump.  PS4 physical copy of "Shenmue 3" now being offered in the reward tiers.  Shenmue 3 is also now over $4 million, near $4.1 milion.

A bunch of different rewards have been added, including additional dinners with Suzuki-sama in Monaco and LA.  There's also an NPC option as well.

I wasn't so sure about those high end rewards at first but they sell out almost immediately every time.  Today was another big day for them.

The PS4 physical reward is huge.  I think that one will be more valuable than the PC version down the road but unfortunately I have an Xbone.  Hopefully they didn't have to sacrifice too much of their margin to Sony over the PC version.

I wasn't so sure about those high end rewards at first but they sell out almost immediately every time. Today was another big day for them.

The PS4 physical reward is huge. I think that one will be more valuable than the PC version down the road but unfortunately I have an Xbone. Hopefully they didn't have to sacrifice too much of their margin to Sony over the PC version.
Yeah, the number of the high priced tiers that's selling is crazy. I'd love to know who those people are... well, I guess I will know some of them as NPCs. The guy who got the original jacket... that's gotta be an insane piece of gaming history to own.

A physical PS4 copy means I'm in come next paycheck... not sure what tier though.

Yeah, the number of the high priced tiers that's selling is crazy. I'd love to know who those people are... well, I guess I will know some of them as NPCs. The guy who got the original jacket... that's gotta be an insane piece of gaming history to own.

A physical PS4 copy means I'm in come next paycheck... not sure what tier though.
I might go up to $100 to play the digital copy on PC and get the PS4 version to keep sealed. The signed collector's edition is tempting but I don't know if I can drop $300 on something that's at least 2-3 years away.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at those tiers, their core audience is not only passionate but now older and more affluent 14 years later.

I might go up to $100 to play the digital copy on PC and get the PS4 version to keep sealed. The signed collector's edition is tempting but I don't know if I can drop $300 on something that's at least 2-3 years away.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at those tiers, their core audience is not only passionate but now older and more affluent 14 years later.
Yeah... that's actually the tier I was looking at but agree that that's a lot of money to have tied up in something you won't see for at least 2-3 years (which is probably generous).

I wasn't so sure about those high end rewards at first but they sell out almost immediately every time. Today was another big day for them.

The PS4 physical reward is huge. I think that one will be more valuable than the PC version down the road but unfortunately I have an Xbone. Hopefully they didn't have to sacrifice too much of their margin to Sony over the PC version.
You can blame MS for the reason there's not an XBOne version, due to screwing Yu over with marketing support for Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. It's part of the reason AM2 didn't port Outrun 2 and is likely why we didn't see Virtua Cop 3 on the Xbox.

Well, I've signed up to get the signed collector's edition. I want Suzuki-sama's autograph so bad. It's like getting Akira Kurosawa's autograph for one of his movies. Stephen King, Ernest Hemingway, Robert Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, H.P. Lovecraft, John Carpenter, etc.

To be honest, maybe I should say the guy who directed "The General"'s autograph. Yu is that much of a legend to me.

Naka-sama and Suzuki-sama have been as influential in gaming as the man who directed "The General" was for modern action films and Fritz Lang was for modern Sci-Fi with "Metropolis", the director of "Battleship Potempkin" was group hero films, etc.

Someday people will remember Suzuki and Naka-sama as being the equivalent of those who were the highlights of the silent film era, the early epics, color and sound introduction to films which will make the autograph even more memorable.

:drool: If only I had $500 or $800!  I so would like my name in the game's temple.  Looks like it is going to be $60 from me for a Physical PS4 copy. 

Curse you lottery numbers coming out when I didn't buy them and bills.

Edit:  more :drool: !  If only I had $1,200 to burn.  Maybe I'll go for the $80 tier.

I don't really get this criticism that "it won't be a AAA game" or "it won't push the envelope like the first 2".  I think everyone pretty much expects a heavily story driven game that is graphically unambitious, a cut above games like Dreamfall Chapters, Gone Home, or Life is Strange, but much closer to that level than a GTA 5.  I think they've been pretty up front about the scale of it.

It never needed to be another 47 million dollar game to be enjoyable and those other games prove it with a fraction of Shenmue 3's budget.

A friend said the same to me dafoomie.

Shenmue and Shenmue  2 weren't huge either but they were ambitious in their attention to detail which I think a lot of other game companies, even GTA with Rockstar can't touch.

Will you come onto XBLA and game with me Fooms?  Maybe some Titanfall?

I don't really get this criticism that "it won't be a AAA game" or "it won't push the envelope like the first 2". I think everyone pretty much expects a heavily story driven game that is graphically unambitious, a cut above games like Dreamfall Chapters, Gone Home, or Life is Strange, but much closer to that level than a GTA 5. I think they've been pretty up front about the scale of it.

It never needed to be another 47 million dollar game to be enjoyable and those other games prove it with a fraction of Shenmue 3's budget.
I think a lot of people will be surprised. They're using Unreal Engine 4, which is pretty damn powerful, and cheap... so there's minimal upfront cost of development. Instead, they'll just pay Unreal royalties from actual game sales (not sure if how KS sales count into that).

I think a lot of people will be surprised. They're using Unreal Engine 4, which is pretty damn powerful, and cheap... so there's minimal upfront cost of development. Instead, they'll just pay Unreal royalties from actual game sales (not sure if how KS sales count into that).
For things like Kickstarter it's 5% on what they charge for the game or anything in game, so they don't have to pay them a piece of what they charge for physical items.

At some point you just have to give Yu Suzuki his due for being a legend and let him do his thing. Kojima would never be doubted this much if he launched a Kickstarter for a new Snatcher or something.

A friend said the same to me dafoomie.

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 weren't huge either but they were ambitious in their attention to detail which I think a lot of other game companies, even GTA with Rockstar can't touch.

Will you come onto XBLA and game with me Fooms? Maybe some Titanfall?
Shenmue was more ambitious than I think people can appreciate today. A lot of that hadn't been done before and wasn't repeated until GTA 3, 2 years later on better hardware. There still aren't many games with day/night cycles as a gameplay mechanic.

I don't have many Xbone games yet, don't have Titanfall.

For things like Kickstarter it's 5% on what they charge for the game or anything in game, so they don't have to pay them a piece of what they charge for physical items.

At some point you just have to give Yu Suzuki his due for being a legend and let him do his thing. Kojima would never be doubted this much if he launched a Kickstarter for a new Snatcher or something.
I think part of it is because while his other games have been successful Shenmue and Shenmue 2 were commercial failures. I mean, I love Shenmue but lets be honest.

It would be nice if people like Richard Linkletter and others gave him props and told people to support him. I mean looking at Shenmue especially there are a lot of Arthouse directors that should support Yu Suzuki's vision for Shenmue. Darren Arronovsky, Ingmar Bergman, Orson Welles, the man who directed "400 Blows", Mira Nair, etc.

I truly don't understand why people can't make the connection. It truly seems clear as day to me.

Fooms that's cool. Hit me up with an invite one of these days.

Shenmue 2 was a commercial failure but Shenmue was the 3rd best selling game on the Dreamcast, if the game needed to sell twice as many copies as there were consoles in existence to be successful, that's on the console.  They really should've ported both games to Xbox instead of just 2, it really limited the audience.

Did it near the end but I finally made my pledge. I wanted to make the pledge but just wasn't sure on the amount as I'm a bit iffy about a number of things: 

1. The initial confusion with how Sony's involved for which, I still feel like someone's not being fully honest.

2. The questionable stretch goals.... I mean, they could have made the game for $2 mil but they need almost a $1 mil to expand the battle system ($5.1 to $6 mil), not to mention the use of filler goals (5.6 and 8.8) which do nothing. 

3. Since Shenmue II his track record been fairly sparse and debatable though that's likely due to external factors more than anything. 

I'm not the biggest Shenmue fan but even I'll admit, it's easily one of the best and most iconic games of our time and I really think that Suzuki is just glad that he finally has the opportunity. 

Gave up $300 for this, so hopefully he delivers. 

Did it near the end but I finally made my pledge. I wanted to make the pledge but just wasn't sure on the amount as I'm a bit iffy about a number of things:

1. The initial confusion with how Sony's involved for which, I still feel like someone's not being fully honest.

2. The questionable stretch goals.... I mean, they could have made the game for $2 mil but they need almost a $1 mil to expand the battle system ($5.1 to $6 mil), not to mention the use of filler goals (5.6 and 8.8) which do nothing.

3. Since Shenmue II his track record been fairly sparse and debatable though that's likely due to external factors more than anything.

I'm not the biggest Shenmue fan but even I'll admit, it's easily one of the best and most iconic games of our time and I really think that Suzuki is just glad that he finally has the opportunity.

Gave up $300 for this, so hopefully he delivers.
External factors? Almost all of the old legends are gone: Naka, Suzuki, soon to be Kojima and most everyone else. A lot are dead, Kenji Eno and Gunpei.

It's likely them leaving because of q2q demands from profit hungry shareholders.

It's been quiet but I thought this was interesting. 

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/12/11666332/shenmue-hd-remaster-update-sega 

I never beat either game (got kinda far into the first one) but my brother is a fucking fanatic of the series and I would love watching him play the games in the old days. I tried to play the games when III announced but it was hard to get into the control schemes. I would love an updated release of the first two games... 

bread's done
Back