Backwards Compatibility Updated

raistlin

CAGiversary!
Just a heads up Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was suppose to be backwards compatible however it never showed up  as available to download/install.  Literally while I was on the phone with Microsoft they removed the game from this page however they haven't updated the PDF yet. 

Of course it's still in beta and they're working out the issues so I expect that game will show back up at a later time.  I suppose it's worth noting that I was able to successfully install 3 other Xbox games just fine.

nwNG6Dr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder about popular multiplayer titles like the COD games?  All Xbox Live Arcade like Shadow Complex should work perfectly under emulation.  Got to hand it to their emulation team...that's a lot of work to make us happy and not charge us a fee in the process.

If all the game makers have to do is approve their games, why isn't something like Zuma's Revenge up as the same time as Zuma? Seems there must be a little more that goes into making this happen.

The details about this have been a little questionable.  I recall the announcer going out of his way to say that 360 games will work natively.  What that means in this context is completely left to speculation, but I took it to mean 360 games weren't being emulated in the traditional sense, they aren't being ported though.

The details about this have been a little questionable. I recall the announcer going out of his way to say that 360 games will work natively. What that means in this context is completely left to speculation, but I took it to mean 360 games weren't being emulated in the traditional sense.
That is how I understood it as well. And the only thing keeping games from running on the XBO is the publishers themself have to give permission first. I dont know if this will turn into EA or whomever saying "You have to give me $$$$$$ in order for our games to run on XBO" or something that will just smoothly cross over.

Anyways, Im selling my 360 regardless, anyone want to buy it? :p

That is how I understood it as well. And the only thing keeping games from running on the XBO is the publishers themself have to give permission first. I dont know if this will turn into EA or whomever saying "You have to give me $$$$$$ in order for our games to run on XBO" or something that will just smoothly cross over.

Yeah technically they're using an X86 architecture now versus PowerPC they had on the 360, which is why the wording in the announcement is a bit odd. Ah well, so far it seems like the games are working great. One thing I wouldn't get my hopes up on would be seeing the old Halo's back for free.

I originally thought it was in the hands of the developer, but after watching the interview (it was on the X1 dashboard) Major Nelson had with one of the devs working on the emulation, it seemed like the only issues with the devs is if the licensing of the games had been changed.

So if thats the case, THQ games as an example would need to be addressed based on the IPs and who owns them now. In the interview he said they planned on adding games based on 360 player counts as well as community choices via surveys or the Xbox forums.

Here's to hoping they put Black Ops II on there at least.

Yeah technically they're using an X86 architecture now versus PowerPC they had on the 360, which is why the wording in the announcement is a bit odd. Ah well, so far it seems like the games are working great. One thing I wouldn't get my hopes up on would be seeing the old Halo's back for free.
From a link Darby27 posted from NeoGAF, they're doing emulation of the PowerPC chip in the X360 via a Hyper-V virtual machine inside of the XB1's OS. Which makes sense if it has Windows 8.1 as its core, which supports Hyper-V on Win 8.1 Pro.

I would guess the X360 game is running in a VM and can interact with the XB1's OS, which is why things like Game DVR and other items supposedly work.

I tested out Banjo Tooie last night and it worked great.  I'm a bit confused as to how this is working behind the scenes.  At first I thought maybe they came up with a way to build 360 games to run on X1 natively but I'm starting to doubt that.  It doesn't make sense to have things like the 360 UI pop up so I think there is some type of emulation/virtual image doing the work here.  This doesn't strike me as the same thing the 360 did with backwards compatibility.  Once they are confident everything is good to go I think the flood of games will come.

It's really convenient for digital titles.  Simply go to my games and ready to download section and boom there they are.  I have a disc copy of Stick of Truth I've been meaning to play.  So hopefully it's one of the first to be on the list.

It doesn't make sense to have things like the 360 UI pop up so I think there is some type of emulation/virtual image doing the work here.
They're emulating the bios/360 environment so that would make sense. Similar to VMWare Vsphere or modern emulators. A quick search does indicate that the Xbox One is running three operating systems including Windows with Hyper-V and of course Microsoft would know their kernel in the 360 better than anyone. Given all that I wouldn't necessarily say it's running natively as they indicated in the press conference.

For those of you that don't know - If you start up a game and hit select + start at the same time you can actually go through some of the Xbox 360 blades which is kind of neat IMO.

They're emulating the bios/360 environment so that would make sense. Similar to VMWare Vsphere or modern emulators. A quick search does indicate that the Xbox One is running three operating systems including Windows with Hyper-V and of course Microsoft would know their kernel in the 360 better than anyone. Given all that I wouldn't necessarily say it's running natively as they indicated in the press conference.

For those of you that don't know - If you start up a game and hit select + start at the same time you can actually go through some of the Xbox 360 blades which is kind of neat IMO.
Yeah that makes sense. I didn't kow about holding select + start. That's cool. I need to try that out. I'm kind of surprised how much I'm enjoying this feature. I played a little super meat boy today as well. Just get Stick of Truth on there so I can play the final 360 game I've been meaning to play. And possibly Anarchy Reigns

I've been hoping for an Xbox One release of Carcassonne but I'd be happy with backwards compatibility. 

What an awesome announcement.

I have so many digital titles on my 360 that I'd love to play on my XB1.

Microsoft had the best conference this year in my opinion. 

Can't wait for the update.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/revealed-how-xbox-one-can-play-360-games-via-backw/1100-6428366/

Looks like mutli-disc games are still in process, which means we'll be waiting on the following:

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Blue Dragon

Lost Odyssey

Plus whatever other multi-disc ones you can think of.

EDIT: No thinking needed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_console_games_spanning_multiple_discs#Xbox_360

Whole bunch there and it's some good stuff, though there are some ones that are also natively on XB1.  From the article, I would think that MS is emulating either a X360 with a DVD drive or a virtual DVD drive that "loads" up a digital copy of the game disc.  Which explains why they can't do mutli-disc titles yet.

Does anyone here know how game sharing works for bc? Is it like on the One, where you can designate a home box for offline access, or like the 360, where the first console to download gets shared/offline access?

Does anyone here know how game sharing works for bc? Is it like on the One, where you can designate a home box for offline access, or like the 360, where the first console to download gets shared/offline access?
Not sure how it works if both people play the same game at the same time, but my friend was able to download all my games under the ready to install/download tab.

[quote name="BrolyB593" post="12752344" timestamp="1434572924"]I wonder depending on how it is being technically run on the Xbox One if we will be able to use our 360 fightsticks on backwards compatibility fighting games and such.

*edit*

Looks like a no on any sort of hardware. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-new-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-details?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook[/quote]
If you don't mind spending a little extra and would like to have that functionality now then there is the CronusMAX adapter.

Vote for Orange Box backwards compatibility!!
I voted for that awhile back. Along with portal 2

I recently saw that Soul Calibur V wasn't on the list. I just bought it hoping that it would be ported some day.

Was going to add it myself but could not figure out. I'll try it later if it isn't there again

I voted for that awhile back. Along with portal 2

I recently saw that Soul Calibur V wasn't on the list. I just bought it hoping that it would be ported some day.

Was going to add it myself but could not figure out. I'll try it later if it isn't there again
It HAS to be on there. It's probably just spelled wrong or formatted in an odd way. The most obscure games you can (or even can't) think of are on there, there's no way SCV isn't included on the list.

Given the XBox and XBone both run on x86 family CPUs, it's not even as difficult as the 360 emulation.

Plus, we already have the Rare Collection showing it can be done (Grabbed by the Ghoulies)

GbtG isn't *exactly* an Xbox game on an Xbone, the Rare Replay version is a port of a PC version that I think was canned in the US (and maybe everywhere). But even saying that, once they get the 360 emulator in an acceptable state, I could see them doing some stuff with old Xbox games. Since they seem bound and determined to not follow up Crimson Skies it would be pretty awesome if that became available and they turned the servers back on for it.

I would love to see some original Xbox games make it as backwards compatible on the Xbox One. 

Will Shenmue  2   and Fable 1 -3 be backwards compatible with the Xbox one

Fable II and III were on the 360 so most likely as they are working on backwards compatibility with the 360 right now. Fable Anniversary is on the 360 so that would prob take care of Fable. Phil Spencer stated they won't think about backwards compatibility with the original Xbox until they finish with the 360.

[quote name="KaneRobot" post="12875236" timestamp="1440044429"]GbtG isn't *exactly* an Xbox game on an Xbone, the Rare Replay version is a port of a PC version that I think was canned in the US (and maybe everywhere).[/quote]

Interesting - I never knew such a thing existed, although it's not terribly surprising.

Played Just Cause 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas.  Both played extremely well, and whats really cool is that after install you don't need the disc in anymore.  COD:BO1 is supposed to be on next month, sweet!

Played Just Cause 2 and Rainbow Six Vegas. Both played extremely well, and whats really cool is that after install you don't need the disc in anymore. COD:BO1 is supposed to be on next month, sweet!
You probably had them via GwG, which is why they didn't require the disc.

bread's done
Back