Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer

Explicit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
animal-crossing-happy-home-designer1-656x647.png

animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-boxart.png

Release Information

Release Date: 9/25/15 (NA), 10/2/15 (EU)

Price: $39.99

# of Players: NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E_aJ0PxahM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBFtCiF1Gg

From the Nintendo Treehouse live show that Nintendo is doing at E3 2015, it was stated that you are the designer of the town rather then the mayor. You can pick and place the animals houses anywhere you please from putting there house on an island, next to a river, in the mountains, on the beach, etc. You can decorate inside and outside the homes with all the items in the game. Isabelle will be in the game as the person informing you what should be built or is requested. It has a new Main Street with boarded up buildings that can be fixed up over time. What is confirmed is Nook's Homes, a school, a hospital, and a Nookling Store. It has not been confirmed if actual time is followed in this game or if it runs on a sped up clock. It was stated that 10-0 amiibo Animal Crossing would be released on the games release day with more coming after that.

A preview of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer from Nintendo Life shares the latest details about the game. You’ll find an information summary below.

– Game features a hub like the City found from the Animal Crossing: City Folk

– Your office is here, and it’s where the action is

– There are public facilities like restaurants, shops and hospitals that can be built over time

– These are managed by your assistant Isabel

– Hub expands as you progress

– Players have a job, and the job is what you do

– In charge of planning, designing and decorating homes for the numerous animals who demand your services

– Animals are random

– They can be found wandering the central hub

– Approach them and accept their request to initiate the project

– Set up a meeting in your office in order to advance the process

– First need to choose a section of the map

– Each has their own terrain and characteristics

Ex: may choose to give your customer a lovely beachside home or one that sits on the edge of a river bank

– Can choose the “Season” as well

– Let an animal live in all-round scorching summer or perpetual winter

– Can then begin designing the actual house

– Pick from an ever increasing selection of wall materials, roof types, doors and fences

– Next, you can decorate the inside and outside of the home

– Choose from features such as swimming pools or sand pits

– The catalog of furniture and house styles is limited to begin with

– After taking a request from a critter, the relevant “set” for the request becomes available

– Clients will have a number of items awaiting unboxing when you begin a redesign that must be incorporated into the overall design

– Study “courses” at your desk

– Exchange these for play coins

– Courses can teach you the ability to add more forms of decorations to your home designs, such as “ceiling decorations”

– After fulfilling a request and the critter in question is satisfied, they move into their new home and your job is complete

– Have a “working day” instead of the “real-time clock” system

– Once your tasks are complete, day turns to night

– You can choose to end the working day

– Greater control over your appearance from the start

– Choose skin color, animal’s clothes, assign “roles”

– Certain animals can be chosen to teach in the nearby school, or work behind the counter in the café

– Arrange homes and public buildings into miniature diorama like scenes

– The animals will accept any design created for them

– When designing a home, there is virtually no limit to what you can do

– Furniture doesn’t need to be bought, bells don’t need to be spent, and your only worry is running out of floor space

– Use an Animal Crossing amiibo card to make an animal instantly available for a home re-model

– Cards also act as a gateway to invite animals into other animals homes or public facilities

– Ex: while visiting Teddy after a successful remodel, scanning in Stitches would see him drop by for a visit

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no clue what is being said, but the two level Main Street looks pretty neat. Looks like you can open up a restaurant and various stores. I hope the next AC game lets you place your house between a river and lets you have that space as yours like it lets the animals have that space as well. I still want to see if you can traverse the map where all the houses are or if you're stuck in the Main Street area because that's where you work. I'm also curious if the game still follows actual time or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6AysL-Y49M

[quote name="Explicit" post="12751461" timestamp="1434555050"]I have no clue what is being said, but the two level Main Street looks pretty neat. Looks like you can open up a restaurant and various stores. I hope the next AC game lets you place your house between a river and lets you have that space as yours like it lets the animals have that space as well. I still want to see if you can traverse the map where all the houses are or if you're stuck in the Main Street area because that's where you work. I'm also curious if the game still follows actual time or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6AysL-Y49M[/quote]That video is amazing!

Nintendo of Japan has released some new videos of the game. Shows off some more game play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVCiXhVAWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM9LblV340w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sdtEI9Ap64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkjWKqEGij0

Anyone know how to read Japanese to translate what is being stated here?
The Google Translate app lets you point your device's camera at text and it'll translate it. You can also use it to translate images already on your device.

The tutorial/documentation on it says you can automatically translate between:

• English and French
  • English and German
  • English and Italian
  • English and Portuguese
  • English and Russian
  • English and Spanish

But I also tried to choose Japanese and it seems to work. I couldn't get a good scan with a camera, so I'll try putting these images onto my device to see if that works better.

EDIT: I tried it, but the UI kind of gets in my way for trying to get text from the top part of images and the translation is typical gibberish. :p

The Google Translate app lets you point your device's camera at text and it'll translate it. You can also use it to translate images already on your device.

The tutorial/documentation on it says you can automatically translate between:

• English and French
  • English and German
  • English and Italian
  • English and Portuguese
  • English and Russian
  • English and Spanish

But I also tried to choose Japanese and it seems to work. I couldn't get a good scan with a camera, so I'll try putting these images onto my device to see if that works better.

EDIT: I tried it, but the UI kind of gets in my way for trying to get text from the top part of images and the translation is typical gibberish. :p
I didn't even know that. I'm about to try it and see what happens.

Some info on the game

A preview of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer from Nintendo Life shares the latest details about the game. You’ll find an information summary below.

– Game features a hub like the City found from the Animal Crossing: City Folk

– Your office is here, and it’s where the action is

– There are public facilities like restaurants, shops and hospitals that can be built over time

– These are managed by your assistant Isabel

– Hub expands as you progress

– Players have a job, and the job is what you do

– In charge of planning, designing and decorating homes for the numerous animals who demand your services

– Animals are random

– They can be found wandering the central hub

– Approach them and accept their request to initiate the project

– Set up a meeting in your office in order to advance the process

– First need to choose a section of the map

– Each has their own terrain and characteristics

Ex: may choose to give your customer a lovely beachside home or one that sits on the edge of a river bank

– Can choose the “Season” as well

– Let an animal live in all-round scorching summer or perpetual winter

– Can then begin designing the actual house

– Pick from an ever increasing selection of wall materials, roof types, doors and fences

– Next, you can decorate the inside and outside of the home

– Choose from features such as swimming pools or sand pits

– The catalog of furniture and house styles is limited to begin with

– After taking a request from a critter, the relevant “set” for the request becomes available

– Clients will have a number of items awaiting unboxing when you begin a redesign that must be incorporated into the overall design

– Study “courses” at your desk

– Exchange these for play coins

– Courses can teach you the ability to add more forms of decorations to your home designs, such as “ceiling decorations”

– After fulfilling a request and the critter in question is satisfied, they move into their new home and your job is complete

– Have a “working day” instead of the “real-time clock” system

– Once your tasks are complete, day turns to night

– You can choose to end the working day

– Greater control over your appearance from the start

– Choose skin color, animal’s clothes, assign “roles”

– Certain animals can be chosen to teach in the nearby school, or work behind the counter in the café

– Arrange homes and public buildings into miniature diorama like scenes

– The animals will accept any design created for them

– When designing a home, there is virtually no limit to what you can do

– Furniture doesn’t need to be bought, bells don’t need to be spent, and your only worry is running out of floor space

– Use an Animal Crossing amiibo card to make an animal instantly available for a home re-model

– Cards also act as a gateway to invite animals into other animals homes or public facilities

– Ex: while visiting Teddy after a successful remodel, scanning in Stitches would see him drop by for a visit

SOURCE: http://nintendoeverything.com/animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-details/

So it's like a sandbox version of Animal Crossing. Sounds interesting. Some of those ideas need to be in the next AC game.

Damn Europe is getting a whole bunch of options. Hopefully NOA does the same or something similar.

Nintendo is offering one special amiibo card with a limited number of copies when Happy Home Designer launches on October 2. There will also be additional amiibo cards that are being sold separately in packs of three. All packs will always come with a special card, which features a character whose house you won’t be able to build without using its amiibo card.

Other releases planned for Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer in Europe include:

• New Nintendo 3DS + Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer Pack: a white New Nintendo 3DS system with a digital copy of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer* , a unique set of cover plates** and one special amiibo card
  • New Nintendo 3DS XL Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer Edition: a white New Nintendo 3DS XL system with a unique, game-themed cover design, a digital copy of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer* and one special amiibo card
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer + NFC Reader/Writer Pack: a physical copy of the Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer game, one special amiibo card and the NFC Reader/Writer accessory
  • Standalone NFC Reader/ Writer accessory
  • New Nintendo 3DS cover plates No. 5 (featuring K.K. Slider), 6 (featuring Isabelle) and 27 (featuring a variety of animals from the series).
  • Series 1 Animal Crossing amiibo cards Pack: each pack contains 1 special amiibo card and 2 regular amiibo cards)

animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-items-europe.jpg

An almost 40 minute look at the Japanese version of the game which is out in Japan now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3xhq4hxjY

These may be compatible with the game. I have a hard time seeing why they wouldn't but who knows. I put the individual box art in spoiler tags so it wouldn't take up space.

animal-crossing-3-pack-656x533.jpg

ac-isabelle.jpg

ac-kk.jpg

ac-nook.jpg

ac-digby.jpg

ac-lottie.jpg

ac-mabel.jpg

ac-reese.jpg

ac-cyrus.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVv-ezSK0qU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=663amqwomiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUay6gmACSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpD2X2eG00

So forgive my ignorance of Amiibos, as I've never used one, but could you not simply print out the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards? Or is there something electronic inside the card which is read?

animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-car.jpg

When playing Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, you’ll be asked if you want to share your play data with Nintendo – presumably when you start the game for the first time. Those who choose yes will be given a compact car in-town outside of Nook’s Home, which can be used as a decorative piece for making homes.

Players can still keep the car if they change the settings later on and decide to stop transmitting data to Nintendo. It’s not clear though if there’s another method to unlock the car.

SOURCE: http://nintendoeverything.com/get-a-compact-car-in-animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-for-sharing-data-with-nintendo/

Disappointed in the review scores. Canceled my Amazon preorder.
Considering it's not a true AC game, just a spin off focusing on one main core element of the series, these scores are pretty good. It's pretty much what I expected it to get.

When did 7/10 or 8/10 become disappointing? Sounds about right to me for an Animal Crossing game.
And New Leaf has a meta score of 88 and was reviewed highly. Mid 80's to mid 90's in review scores. (For those that care about scores)

So the fact that an AC game that eliminates everything that the series is known to do and just focuses on designing homes and scores highly considering, is pretty commendable. This isn't going to win GOTY awards or anything, but not many thought it would even attempt to do that.

So I've gotten the game today, and I am having a great time with it. So far, I like it for what it is...a game just about designing homes. And that's just fine with me. Its a game I can play anytime, and due to it not being based on a time clock, I play anytime I want without worrying about animals being pissed off at me, villagers moving away, or a town full of weeds because I didn't play for awhile.

Also, Japanese Amiibo cards will work with USA N3DS.

I can see why some people would be put off by the game's simplicity though. It feels more like an expansion pack than a full game so far, IMHO needs to drop in price...it should cost like $10-20.

I also thought it seemed like an expansion pack. I wish it was. I'm waiting for it to be $20 before picking it up.

The user remarks I've seen about the game around the internet made me glad I didn't order it day 1. I still want to play it, but it doesn't sound like it's worth $40. The Amiibo support seems dull. Unless you have your heart set on Kiki coming to your town, there is little need to spend money on those things.

I did read that the animals will all sort of wander in on their own. Are the main characters exceptions? Mr. Resetti and so forth?

The user remarks I've seen about the game around the internet made me glad I didn't order it day 1. I still want to play it, but it doesn't sound like it's worth $40. The Amiibo support seems dull. Unless you have your heart set on Kiki coming to your town, there is little need to spend money on those things.

I did read that the animals will all sort of wander in on their own. Are the main characters exceptions? Mr. Resetti and so forth?
Yes and no.

When you design a new town area, you will see a few main characters wandering around an inspecting it afterwards (like Isabelle, Tom Nook, Digby, etc.) in a mini cutscene. For my town, this in itself was hilarious when I built and opened my hospital. The first part of my cutscene showed my small hospital room with Nook lying on a bed, sick and ailing away, with Isabelle, Digby, Lyle, and Lottie visiting him. The next cutscene showed my larger hospital room with all the animals who had visited Nook laying on the beds sick...Nook had infected my entire Happy Home office, LMAO!

Your town has a plaza that has random animals wandering around in it, some of those animals have home design requests you can take, and you can pick one a day. If you want to design rooms for the main characters like Nook, Isabelle, Resetti, etc. you need one of the special Amiibo cards to unlock them. All the other animals have a chance to show up randomly in your town.

The animals also random visit the businesses you have set up in town and you can chat with them.

So yes, you will see the main characters wandering around your town (Mr. Resetti likes my town plaza for some reason), but you won't be able to unlock their content unless you have their card.

If I were on a budget, I'd probably just end up buying the special cards off of Ebay or someplace similar, because those main characters will never have housing decoration requests without them. Plus some of them will be getting actual Amiibo figures in the future, so you may not want their cards anyways if the figures have the same function.

So far for me, its been a very entertaining mobile game, but I agree with other people, the price should drop, especially with the Amiibo card situation. I think people would be alot less reluctant to buy packs of cards if the initial game were like $10 or $20. But the revamped home decoration system is to die for! I really wish this game had just been released as DLC for New Leaf so I could incorporate these new systems in my old village's gameplay.

Also, if you want this game now for cheap, and don't mind going digital...go stalk ebay. Alot of people have been buying the Happy Home edition 3DS because its the tiny, revamped 3DS and have no intention of playing Animal Crossing, so I've seen the digital codes and faceplates listed up there.

Anybody here pick up any of the trading cards?  I have some doubles and need a few to finish my set.  If you want to trade send me a PM with what you have/want.  

Can anyone confirm what this Amazon review says? It seems to suggest the villagers never move out, so that you are stuck with the initial ones unless you use Amiibo cards.

"The villagers request the exact same themes each game day and do not go away so that new villagers arrive with different theme requests. Currently I have 3 of the 4 villagers requesting the exact same thing and the 4th is requesting a theme I've already done twice. Very bland and boring. In my opinion it's basically just a basis to sell Amiibo cards."

Can anyone confirm what this Amazon review says? It seems to suggest the villagers never move out, so that you are stuck with the initial ones unless you use Amiibo cards.

"The villagers request the exact same themes each game day and do not go away so that new villagers arrive with different theme requests. Currently I have 3 of the 4 villagers requesting the exact same thing and the 4th is requesting a theme I've already done twice. Very bland and boring. In my opinion it's basically just a basis to sell Amiibo cards."
Err...what?!

No, that's not what I encountered in my playthrough so far (unless there is a hidden cap on how many animals you can design for).

First off, when you start the game there are a few animals that you HAVE to design for to unlock other features as a tutorial of sorts. Its pretty obvious which ones they are, and your assistant Lottie will even tell you which animals need help. Once you set up homes for them, new ones show up in your town to design for. Even before I got my amiibo cards I had a multitude of different animals show up. The villagers don't move out, but you can go back and redesign there homes later if you want, and you will after you continue to unlock more items. You dont need cards to get new animals...you only need them for special animals like Lottie, Isabelle, KK Slider, etc. so you can play this game without buying any, I did designs for about 30 different animals before I got my first pack of amiibo cards. (It sounds to me whoever did that review probably didn't even finish the game's tutorial!).

Err...what?!

No, that's not what I encountered in my playthrough so far (unless there is a hidden cap on how many animals you can design for).

First off, when you start the game there are a few animals that you HAVE to design for to unlock other features as a tutorial of sorts. Its pretty obvious which ones they are, and your assistant Lottie will even tell you which animals need help. Once you set up homes for them, new ones show up in your town to design for. Even before I got my amiibo cards I had a multitude of different animals show up. The villagers don't move out, but you can go back and redesign there homes later if you want, and you will after you continue to unlock more items. You dont need cards to get new animals...you only need them for special animals like Lottie, Isabelle, KK Slider, etc. so you can play this game without buying any, I did designs for about 30 different animals before I got my first pack of amiibo cards. (It sounds to me whoever did that review probably didn't even finish the game's tutorial!).
Thank you so much for the information! I ended up buying this game from another CAG this morning, a digital code. Only $20! I'm going to try to play the game in little bites, like I used to do Tomodachi Life when I had it, as it seems like the kind of experience that is fun in little segments.

I have a question about the Amiibo cards. Once you scan them into the game, do you have permanent access to all the animals you scanned? So say you scanned all the existing Amiibo cards, would they forever show up as homes you can visit? And once you scan them into the game, do you ever need to do so again? Debating buying the special Amiibo cards off eBay or other CAGs, at least, and was curious how the Amiibo cards work.

Thank you so much for the information! I ended up buying this game from another CAG this morning, a digital code. Only $20! I'm going to try to play the game in little bites, like I used to do Tomodachi Life when I had it, as it seems like the kind of experience that is fun in little segments.

I have a question about the Amiibo cards. Once you scan them into the game, do you have permanent access to all the animals you scanned? So say you scanned all the existing Amiibo cards, would they forever show up as homes you can visit? And once you scan them into the game, do you ever need to do so again? Debating buying the special Amiibo cards off eBay or other CAGs, at least, and was curious how the Amiibo cards work.
I've only scanned a few so not sure about the long game. The first two I scanned while visiting a previous client and DJ KK visited the house of the client I was visiting. Then I used the Amiibo phone and got a designing job request from Tiffany.

The visit from DJ KK involved him just roaming around the house of the client.

The job from Tiffany was like any other design job, when I was done, I got the montage of her using the space and kudos when I returned from the office.

I just completed my card set for series one so I'll scan a bunch in this weekend and see what impact that has. I do believe Tiffany and DJ KK do appear on a list in game, I just don't remember where.

It is simple in game play but I find that I enjoy way more than I thought I would, in small, bite size chunks.

bread's done
Back