* * * * - 8 votes

Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

#masseffect #andromeda #mea

#871 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5719 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

I learned my lesson in Fallout 3, yeah I always manually save, a lot.

It's something I've known and practiced for a long, long time as well. However sometimes I do forget to manually save. I just wanted to make sure to drive the point home as the game does use auto-saves and many people like to rely on that.

#872 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49877 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I think my Pathfinder Guide set is being shipped out, as it appears to be Preparing on Amazon.

I dabbled a little in MP last night, did part of the tutorial. 

#873 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1827 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

The idea is to max out your common/uncommon items/toons so that when you buy the other bigger packs they have even better chances of being Rare/Ultra rare since it presumably does not give duplicates of maxed out items.

Does it actually work like that?

For example, Overwatch will happily give you duplicate results and just give you currency for it. Meanwhile, something like Fallout Shelter will avoid giving you duplicates in the same tier until you earn everything in that tier, then will starting giving duplicates that auto-convert to currency instead of a higher tier.

#874 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49877 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

It's something I've known and practiced for a long, long time as well. However sometimes I do forget to manually save. I just wanted to make sure to drive the point home as the game does use auto-saves and many people like to rely on that.

Never, ever rely on auto-saves.  Save repeatedly and often, in case one gets corrupted.   Assuming it's like DA: I, I think there's 50 save slots you can use. 

#875 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

The idea is to max out your common/uncommon items/toons so that when you buy the other bigger packs they have even better chances of being Rare/Ultra rare since it presumably does not give duplicates of maxed out items.

Each pack has a guaranteed tier. The reason why people mention to purchase basic/advanced is to build yourself a nice foundation of characters, weapons, mods, and consumables to take into higher tiers.

#876 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7700 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

Does it actually work like that?

For example, Overwatch will happily give you duplicate results and just give you currency for it. Meanwhile, something like Fallout Shelter will avoid giving you duplicates in the same tier until you earn everything in that tier, then will starting giving duplicates that auto-convert to currency instead of a higher tier.

From what I have read it apparently does stop giving you duplicates once you have maxed them. The game being so new however I wouldn't necessarily trust that as fact as it has just been rumblings here and there on various websites, nothing official. 

Like you said Overwatch and games like it turn your duplicates into currency. I have not heard anything about duplicates being turned to currency so I would wager it is because they don't give you them once they are maxed? (or again because the game is like a week old haha but I am sure there is someone who knows because they already have nearly everything.. o.O)

I personally have only bought the higher tier boxes myself anyway haha though I feel like I have convinced my own self to start just buying the cheaper ones. : P

*edit*

Dug a bit deeper. PC Gamer says the following in one of their articles:

How to spend your currency

Stick with Basic packs until both your starting Common weapons and classes reach rank 10. You’ll see immediate benefits: each increasing class rank bestows a higher base skill point allotment to further augment your powers on a fresh character. Weapon stats will become better tuned for damage and weight efficiency. Most importantly, fully maxing your Common inventory removes their inclusion in future pack loot tables, increasing your chances of getting better gear from the more expensive packs.

After you’ve begun dipping into Silver matches, start buying Advanced packs to round out your Uncommon quality items and classes. Ideally, you want to mirror the same max-rank end-goal as you met for your Common stuff, but this is where the grind turns heavy; be patient and make sure to get your Apex dailies done for fat Credit bonuses. Once you hit rank 10 for your roster and armaments, you’re primed for the high-damage and high-reward big leagues.

Lastly, skip the Expert packs and go straight for the juicier Premium packs. For double the Credit price, you get a better chance at coveted Ultra-Rare unlocks alongside the two guaranteed and powerful Rare items. At this point, your class stable should be bristling with power and gear, and you shouldn’t have much trouble acing numerous Silver and Gold matches to dump Tempest-loads of Credits into your wallet. Continue using your excess Credits on Premium packs to hunt after specific weapons to your liking—some popular picks include the Mattock assault rifle, Equalizer pistol, Raptor sniper rifle, or Scattershot shotgun. 

source: http://www.pcgamer.c...s-supply-boxes/

Again that isn't fact but it sounds good to me hah

#877 gotdott   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2480 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

From what I have read it apparently does stop giving you duplicates once you have maxed them. The game being so new however I wouldn't necessarily trust that as fact as it has just been rumblings here and there on various websites, nothing official. 

Like you said Overwatch and games like it turn your duplicates into currency. I have not heard anything about duplicates being turned to currency so I would wager it is because they don't give you them once they are maxed? (or again because the game is like a week old haha but I am sure there is someone who knows because they already have nearly everything.. o.O)

I personally have only bought the higher tier boxes myself anyway haha though I feel like I have convinced my own self to start just buying the cheaper ones. : P

*edit*

Dug a bit deeper. PC Gamer says the following in one of their articles:

How to spend your currency

Stick with Basic packs until both your starting Common weapons and classes reach rank 10. You’ll see immediate benefits: each increasing class rank bestows a higher base skill point allotment to further augment your powers on a fresh character. Weapon stats will become better tuned for damage and weight efficiency. Most importantly, fully maxing your Common inventory removes their inclusion in future pack loot tables, increasing your chances of getting better gear from the more expensive packs.

After you’ve begun dipping into Silver matches, start buying Advanced packs to round out your Uncommon quality items and classes. Ideally, you want to mirror the same max-rank end-goal as you met for your Common stuff, but this is where the grind turns heavy; be patient and make sure to get your Apex dailies done for fat Credit bonuses. Once you hit rank 10 for your roster and armaments, you’re primed for the high-damage and high-reward big leagues.

Lastly, skip the Expert packs and go straight for the juicier Premium packs. For double the Credit price, you get a better chance at coveted Ultra-Rare unlocks alongside the two guaranteed and powerful Rare items. At this point, your class stable should be bristling with power and gear, and you shouldn’t have much trouble acing numerous Silver and Gold matches to dump Tempest-loads of Credits into your wallet. Continue using your excess Credits on Premium packs to hunt after specific weapons to your liking—some popular picks include the Mattock assault rifle, Equalizer pistol, Raptor sniper rifle, or Scattershot shotgun. 

source: http://www.pcgamer.c...s-supply-boxes/

Again that isn't fact but it sounds good to me hah

Can confirm you don't get duplicates

I've maxed out all my commons and most of my uncommons - basic packs are an overpriced supply pack to me at this point since that's all I get.

Also it's good to buy loads of basics because you can get the +consumable upgrades (missiles, revives) from these along the way 

#878 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Yeah...so I thought for some reason taking cover had a button associated w/it. Wow, I looked like such a newb running around and jumping like I was some kid playing Halo for the first time.

My deluxe edition package netted me a a Turian Havoc Trooper (and an Asari adept). I gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun with him/her...might need another few MP matches to completely assimilate to the ME:A controls but by the last two matches I was hopping in the air, hovering and raining fire from above.

Going to read up on possible paths, the whole idea of hovering and flight being the main source of your damage mitigation seems cool but also seems really bad for gold+ difficulty if I remember how it was in ME:3.

Still on bronze though. I'll be on after 10pm EST for those who still have me on their FL.

#879 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11192 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

They really need to nerf those spinning orb enemies in campaign. I get that it's a boss, but that orb has 10x as much HP as any other enemy, and you have to kill it 3-4 times to beat the boss.

#880 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

They really need to nerf those spinning orb enemies in campaign. I get that it's a boss, but that orb has 10x as much HP as any other enemy, and you have to kill it 3-4 times to beat the boss.

Yeah, and they should really add some checkpoints for bosses with multiple "phases". Really annoying to get them down to a sliver of health, get a cheap one-hit death and then have to replay the entire fight.

#881 Supplice   Meta CAGiversary!   4863 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Going to read up on possible paths, the whole idea of hovering and flight being the main source of your damage mitigation seems cool but also seems really bad for gold+ difficulty if I remember how it was in ME:3.

It's gold viable and it helps to take Flak Cannon rank 5 stun to help with hovering. It's best to skip incinerate since her passives don't support it. However, you can self-detonate your own combos if you make incinerate a detonator at rank 6 and apply ammo consumables. 

Currently, all my commons, uncommons, and rare characters are maxed. I have rare mods and a couple rare weapons to raise to level X. Plus, the grind that is the UR pool.  :wall:

#882 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

I'm still trying to get visually adjusted to the game play. The Turian's top heavy body due to her armor makes me cringe because I'm weening myself off Division, Witcher 3, & For Honor.

Because I saw the respec feature I just spread my points out evenly, though I didn't put any into Flak Cannon yet and likely won't this 1st run. Maybe if Flak Cannon didn't need power cells I'd instinctively put points into that instead. The idea of self detonating your own combos sounds great...I use the cobra RPG every time I see that atlas mech, especially since the packs seem to love giving me cobra ammo all the time.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I want to utilize the unique hover ability or just go w/raw passives.

It's good to know s/he's Gold viable, but I'll probably be playing bronze & silver for a while as my play time is limited to and hour or two a night.

#883 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   641 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

When I play multiplayer, the game usually crashes around Wave 6 or 7. It is so frustrating and I hope it gets patched soon.

6 out of my last 7 multiplayer matches have failed.

#884 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

I'm 2 for 7 I think for crashes last night.

One match I joined and it was wave 7, we extracted just as my character loaded and I got my bearings. I said...wait, what? I forgot you can join a match already in progress.

#885 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7376 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Ended up getting the Angara Duelist and Human Kineticist. Started having a lot more fun at that point. Still need to figure out the flow of the latter, but Angara feels nice from a mobility standpoint so far.

#886 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Ended up getting the Angara Duelist and Human Kineticist. Started having a lot more fun at that point. Still need to figure out the flow of the latter, but Angara feels nice from a mobility standpoint so far.

For all the raids & farmings we've done, I find out now you're an artist because I clicked on a link?

#887 Action!   bwip CAGiversary!   7376 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

For all the raids & farmings we've done, I find out now you're an artist because I clicked on a link?

Did I really never mention it? I might need to work on my branding. Also, good to see you!

#888 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Did I really never mention it? I might need to work on my branding. Also, good to see you!

Cheers.

See you in the lobby.

#889 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   641 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Are you having fun with the Human Kineticist? I DESPERATELY want that class.

#890 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

Haven't gotten to them in campaign but I did play them in multiplayer, a pain. You gotta love that first contact you have with an unknown enemy in multiplayer and you're ahh ok how do I hurt this thing. You figure it out and go aaahhooohh, I'm an idiot.  :rofl:

Yeah, and they should really add some checkpoints for bosses with multiple "phases". Really annoying to get them down to a sliver of health, get a cheap one-hit death and then have to replay the entire fight.

Yeah ahh man, thinks back to fighting the Thorian in ME1 on Insanity, shudder. :wall:

#891 simosaurus   Corruptible CAGiversary!   510 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

simosaurus

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I encountered one of those in the campaign for the first time the other night.  At first I thought, "Hey, cool, I saw this in MP.  Just shoot the orb."  10 minutes later I was bored.   Those things do have too much health and it just became a game of run to the other side of the room, snipe the orb, hit the kett floater with a combo, relocate and repeat.  It just dragged on forever. 

#892 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7700 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

I encountered one of those in the campaign for the first time the other night.  At first I thought, "Hey, cool, I saw this in MP.  Just shoot the orb."  10 minutes later I was bored.   Those things do have too much health and it just became a game of run to the other side of the room, snipe the orb, hit the kett floater with a combo, relocate and repeat.  It just dragged on forever. 

#893 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

(tips his hat to gotdott for the silver tour)

Yeah, human vanguard is pretty strong...where as Havoc Trooper, I have no idea what's going on in a map that has a ceiling. Firebase Sandstorm though is great. I think it's time to re-evaluate and respec the trooper, or just start playing the Krogan Merc I pulled from the last pack I bought last night.

I should be on around the same time tonight for more MP.

#894 gotdott   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2480 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

(tips his hat to gotdott for the silver tour)

Yeah, human vanguard is pretty strong...where as Havoc Trooper, I have no idea what's going on in a map that has a ceiling. Firebase Sandstorm though is great. I think it's time to re-evaluate and respec the trooper, or just start playing the Krogan Merc I pulled from the last pack I bought last night.

I should be on around the same time tonight for more MP.

apparently my friend fell asleep on me

maybe some gold tonight?? ;)

#895 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

apparently my friend fell asleep on me

maybe some gold tonight?? ;)

I fell asleep every time I fell through the map.

I figure if I go the DR and air tank route, I can just hover 2 feet off the ground and draw fire while everyone else kills everything...but this time no die or fall through the map.

Gold? Let me level up my Spectator Class first...still not 100% on where to put all the extra skill points though.

#896 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7700 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

I will likely be on tonight for some MP as well this time!

*edit*

I lied. I booted up the game and then fell asleep. Hahaha It was a super long day my body just was not having it.

#897 Tora Chan   Making gainz and taking names CAGiversary!   641 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Anyone on PSN who wants to run Andromeda MP? Looking for friends :twoguns:

#898 gotdott   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2480 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

I fell asleep every time I fell through the map.

I figure if I go the DR and air tank route, I can just hover 2 feet off the ground and draw fire while everyone else kills everything...but this time no die or fall through the map.

Gold? Let me level up my Spectator Class first...still not 100% on where to put all the extra skill points though.

i see what you did there 

#899 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5412 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

This is that point where I tend to not be on the thread that much because you guys get farther than me and I don't want to be spoiled.  I'm not as bad as Shrike :D , but I tend to be one of the last to finish games. 

#900 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6440 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

Well Bioware has plan to address some of the criticism they are getting and an announcement is incoming on April 4th:

https://www.gamespot...d/1100-6449067/

I personally think the game is amazing so far but I haven't really gotten that far yet. I noticed some issues but nothing too bad where it distracted my enjoyment.