* * * * - 8 votes

Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

#masseffect #andromeda #mea

#1171 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1754 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

Oh, I'm not implying anyone is not a fan. Almost the opposite.

I'm more wondering if there is a sort of nostalgia factor involved when comparing the games for the superfans who played the original trilogy multiple times. The mention of bit characters from ME1 got me thinking, because I sure as heck have no idea who those people are. I can probably only name a handful of non-party NPCs, and those are mostly the ones who appear in multiple games or have major impact to the main story line.

I only completed each game once, and read the first few books. I know I enjoyed it all and put the series high in my personal Top <X> Games, but the details are fuzzy to me. Just curious if that is part of the reason some can enjoy Andromeda, and other cannot, despite playing the same game.

It could also just demonstrate my personal Swiss cheese of a memory and have no bearing on anything.

#1172 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:40 AM

Right I believe he was stating you might have a different perspective on it after you played Andromeda as many times as either Mass Effect - and nobody is saying you must in order for it to be what you've expected (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say lol). I was thinking about it tonight while I was staring up at the stars while walking my dog, god I love space. Maybe that's just it, I don't care that this isn't Bioware's magnum opus, it's a hell of a thing to be able to experience traveling and exploring a whole new galaxy - with all the lore and species I loved from the originals. Oh the team members haven't really grown on fans of the trilogy and I can understand that, some of them were in three games which originated a decade ago, yeah a decade.

I think I played Mass Effect 8 times as well, there was a reason to play multiple playthroughs even so when each ME2 and ME3 were over and you wanted to go through it from inception.

I'm fine with Andromeda being a spin off and existing as its own thing.

Spybreaker.pngJanDLC_TOY_8_TS040_14_Forza6_WM-ca08f67ecuphead_boss_by_yoselinfrankcat-dbdsrwu.oVbieaO.pngVdThmcK.jpg

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

:xbox: Call of Duty 4: MW Series, GRiD 2, Forza Horizon

:3ds: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
:D Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2

#1173 Strength&defiance   Dreamer, philosopher, poet - or an idiot as my partner calls me CAG Veteran   85 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Strength&defiance

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

Right I believe he was stating you might have a different perspective on it after you played Andromeda as many times as either Mass Effect - and nobody is saying you must in order for it to be what you've expected (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say lol). I was thinking about it tonight while I was staring up at the stars while walking my dog, god I love space. Maybe that's just it, I don't care that this isn't Bioware's magnum opus, it's a hell of a thing to be able to experience traveling and exploring a whole new galaxy - with all the lore and species I loved from the originals. Oh the team members haven't really grown on fans of the trilogy and I can understand that, some of them were in three games which originated a decade ago, yeah a decade.

I think I played Mass Effect 8 times as well, there was a reason to play multiple playthroughs even so when each ME2 and ME3 were over and you wanted to go through it from inception.

I'm fine with Andromeda being a spin off and existing as its own thing.

portal_space_core_by_brotherkantor-d5gbs

#1174 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:48 PM

Mass Effect Andromeda was a financial success.

Spybreaker.pngJanDLC_TOY_8_TS040_14_Forza6_WM-ca08f67ecuphead_boss_by_yoselinfrankcat-dbdsrwu.oVbieaO.pngVdThmcK.jpg

#1175 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:56 PM

Mass Effect Andromeda was a financial success.

EA, you useless bunch of floppy cocks.

#1176 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

Oh, I'm not implying anyone is not a fan. Almost the opposite.

I'm more wondering if there is a sort of nostalgia factor involved when comparing the games for the superfans who played the original trilogy multiple times. The mention of bit characters from ME1 got me thinking, because I sure as heck have no idea who those people are. I can probably only name a handful of non-party NPCs, and those are mostly the ones who appear in multiple games or have major impact to the main story line.

I only completed each game once, and read the first few books. I know I enjoyed it all and put the series high in my personal Top <X> Games, but the details are fuzzy to me. Just curious if that is part of the reason some can enjoy Andromeda, and other cannot, despite playing the same game.

It could also just demonstrate my personal Swiss cheese of a memory and have no bearing on anything.

My bad, I guess I didn't really get the point you were making.  You bring up a good point.  But, I don't think that's whats creating my discord with Andromeda.  I'm really okay with the idea that this was supposed to be something different from the original trilogy. 

But, as ....to use Spy's subtitle....a game scholar after being in this hobby for 35+ years, it's the way the pieces were put together that bothered me the most.  I'm not talking glitches.  I didn't run into many and, seriously, after ME1 (my favorite game of all time) there is no room to complain about glitches.  I'm talking about the way the story plays out and how disconnected it is from the world exploring/building AND the way the missions are sequentially and technically built.....go here, talk to this person, go there, talk to this person, go back, talk to original guy......Sure there weren't laughable elevator rides, but the back and forth reeeeeeked of filler nonsense to pad the game. 

The story wasn't bad, but it didn't come together well.  It seemed like there were two distinct things going on with one being the world building and the other fighting the kett.  And there was too much time between meaningful story sequences.

The characters.  Woof.  Well, Peebee is good.  Vetra is okay, but underdeveloped.  Jaal was okay, too, but his overall species just blows when compared to ANY species in the original trilogy.  The rest are blah and for some reason I just hate Liam.  Other than Peebee, nobody on this crew would be a welcome addition to the squads in the original games.  I played as Scott Ryder and regardless of how I interacted with characters, I disliked his tone.  This was the first time in recent memory in an RPG where I just couldn't connect with my avatar. 

I'm not the type of guy that is overly sensitive about language, violence or sexuality, but there were a few times in this game where I feel sexuality was forced upon me.  I don't play games to see digital alien boobies (note: i like boobies very much as a general comment) and I certainly don't play games to see my character kiss dudes.  Yet, it seemed like everyone was ready to either touch or accept my 'Lil Ryder despite my purposely avoiding flirting with anyone except my LI. 

This is all my opinion and high five to all my pals who are and have enjoyed the game.  For me, though, as a Mass Effect game it did the series a disservice (EA agrees) and as a game, it was not very well produced. 

946009.png  

What? Oh hell no! Hold up. Huh? Oh okay.

#1177 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

And here I was thinking +65 on an APEX mission was bad-ass.  Check out this crew:

APEX_Bad_Asses.png

First time I've seen more than +65 on an APEX mission in the phone app as well as a success percentage over 90% on a Gold mission. 

#1178 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:17 AM

^ LOL, Outlaw Hysteria. I'll fucking take on the Kett or Remnant but those Outlaws, ooh they give me the shivers.

#1179 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

Damn you, EA:

http://www.mmorpg.co...ame=1027&ismb=1

#1180 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

Despite my difference of opinion on Andromeda, I thought the Montreal team did a great job on all the DLC and MP stuff they did.  That being said, EA Motive seems to be working on some killer stuff.  Also, I like the idea of a smaller and more focused Bioware.  I would prefer they are a "one or two game at a time" studio. 

946009.png  

#1181 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13129 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:42 AM

Unfortunately that isn't surprising news given how Andromeda bombed.  I really think EA wants to forget this mess and move on.

Garrus_Lannister.png

#1182 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

https://www.polygon....r-bioware-death

That's terrible news.

#1183 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

So my Strike Teams were all using the Exceptional Human Intelligence but now I've given each their own specialty. Breaching Charges IV, All Weather Gear IV, Night Vision IV, & Quick Response Vehicle IV are equipped with each team with EHI on two teams (as I'm still saving up for maybe something else).

Also today's dailies are Firebase Magma & Bronze Waves. That's seems like an easy on to grab some more Mission Funds.

#1184 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

So my Strike Teams were all using the Exceptional Human Intelligence but now I've given each their own specialty. Breaching Charges IV, All Weather Gear IV, Night Vision IV, & Quick Response Vehicle IV are equipped with each team with EHI on two teams (as I'm still saving up for maybe something else).

Also today's dailies are Firebase Magma & Bronze Waves. That's seems like an easy on to grab some more Mission Funds.

You forgot Empowered Shields for We Need A Hero missions.

#1185 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

Mass%20Effect%20Initiation.jpg

A new book as a prequel for Andromeda and centering on Cora Harper, info:

https://titanbooks.c...nitiation-8751/

#1186 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   13979 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

Pics:

Spoiler

Got the same die cast & an N7 towel for asking a ME question during Major Nelson's panel at PAX East.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#1187 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   13979 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

If anyone is wanting to go back, Shadow Broker & Citadel are on sale this week on 360.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#1188 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4373 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

"Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day."

#1189 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

That truly makes me sad that this is the end of the road.  No single player content, nothing else, save multiplayer content they'll be milking for money until it'a a dry desiccated corpse.

#1190 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

😪

#1191 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

I was wondering what would come N7 day.  Kinda weird this year, for me at least.  ME isn't riding high and I hope the day is still a celebration of all things Mass Effect.  It would be cool if they featured OT stuff and not just Andromeda for this N7 Day. 

946009.png  

#1192 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Releasing the Quarian ark DLC would be a good thing on N7 day.

#1193 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11109 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Man, I really thought there would be at least one DLC. This is rough. :/

Ryuukishi634.png

#1194 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Seriously, I was having a little bit of a conversation with someone on Instagram on this matter where I said:

yeah truly Mass Effect had Bring Down the Sky (which was great), Mass Effect 2 had Lair of the Shadow Broker (the best!) and Mass Effect 3 had Aria & Omega (Which was a lot of fun to finally ave her in your squad). Of course Citadel doesn't need to be mentioned, that's a given. From Ashes was more a day 1 thing and Leviathan really shined some light about the Reapers.

Just a shame we get nothing, not even an alternate appearance pack or some shit.

#1195 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:16 AM

Look, I know I've been pooping all over ME:A, but that really does suck that we're left hanging after the end.  The Quarian Ark DLC would've been nice.  But, hey, give the series a couple of years in the cooler and they could come back with some cool stuff, who knows. 

946009.png  

#1196 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

h837895BD.jpg

#1197 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9434 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

Well truth is with the way they handled the ending to the trilogy they had to knock it out of the park and obviously that was an extremely high bar to obtain.

#1198 soonerfreak  

soonerfreak

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

At some point people need to stop blaming EA and start blaming Bioware for design choices. If some EA studios can put out great games so should Bioware.

#1199 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49866 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

Nah, let's keep EA as the target of the blame. Much easier.

#1200 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11109 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

At some point people need to stop blaming EA and start blaming Bioware for design choices. If some EA studios can put out great games so should Bioware.

Yeah, people love to make developers the heroes and EA the villain, but in this case it's really not a matter of EA interfering with BioWare Montreal. For better or worse, Andromeda is the game that BioWare made, it's not on anyone but them.

Ryuukishi634.png