* * * * - 8 votes

Official Mass Effect: Andromeda Discussion (Hype/Speculation/Anticipation)

#masseffect #andromeda #mea

#1231 xtreme_Zr2   Mr. Sonny Crockett CAGiversary!   1024 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

I’ll definitely take the advice of Spy and Chubby and put some more time in it. Sorry for coming off like that last night, was just confused and underwhelmed. But if the vets say it picks up I’ll give it a shot. Also now that I’ve had a day to sit on it, how high was the bar for this game anyway? Expectations probably couldn’t have been any higher.

I had trouble keeping my crosshairs and especially the avenger on target for anything. Maybe I need to tone down the sensitivity some, but the ME2 and ME3 combat/cover system I really enjoyed (or just learned to use). Concussive shot was definitely gratifying.

Did y’all get into the multiplayer much? I actually didn’t finish 3’s campaign for a long time (post extended cut) because I got stuck on the MP. I think I had 100 hrs it in before I quit.

And all this battlefront lootbox discussion always makes me think back to the ME3MP days when I bought my first loot box with real money. Then another.....then another, haha. Was ME3 the first pay to win lootbox?

#1232 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5407 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:38 AM

I did play a bit of ME:A MP.  It's good.  Not great, not as good as ME3 somehow, though I couldn't tell you how.  

Ah, the ME3 MP days....that was my first foray into MP and my first real money paid loot box.  I probably spent about $60 or so on the MP portion of the game, but I got well over 400 hours out of that game.  Don't know if I'd consider it pay-to-win, because you still needed skill, and I never felt like there was a major game-changer weapon or anything.  

What do you think, Spy?

#1233 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:53 AM

ME:A's multiplayer is just a continuation of what worked with ME3's so it's not much changed (I thought). That's a good thing and a bad thing (we all loved multiplayer from ME3 so nothing much changed or added). I liked it, I played a bunch when they were doing special weekend shit and having that Apex HQ companion app - oh yeah be sure to grab that to send squads out for stuff - was cool to set up your characters/check out stats and what not. I think Xtreme, you've hit the nail right on the head, what were people expecting? The trilogy was a masterpiece of gaming culture and gameplay, quite hard to live up to. Similar to what we saw with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, new team, new ideas/new fan splitting product (although ME:A is prob more so). I think it def does matter your expectations getting into it. I've stopped playing Andromeda when pretty much that time it was announced no more support was coming for it - they pretty much murdered Mass Effect, it's sad. I do hope the franchise comes back. I'll finish off a few games on Game Pass first, that's got a $1 trial right now btw, and might go back to it some time later (as I did enjoy what it offered, similar to a HD remake of ME1). It's a hard sell this time of year with so many other good games coming out though.

#1234 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

i quit the game after 1-2 hours on the 2nd planet as dialogues, story and missions were just boring. combat is ok, graphics are great.. so maybe i should go back..? can you ever just freely fly thru space, discover new planets and lifeforms?

one thing i found odd, in cutscenes sara ryder looks amazing but why only there ..

Yeah I believe you should go back to it and yes you can fly around space, that's one of the big additions they implemented into the game. This new galaxy is quite large so there's a ton to do and a lot to explore and discover. Later they patched that you can skip it via a button prompt but I found the immersiveness of that pretty cool. Don't know, I played as Scott Ryder. I knew the female Ryder, had issues early on so I went with Scott but I'll probably make another playthrough some time and play as Sara.

#1235 misfit_noel  

misfit_noel

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

It had such potential :(

#1236 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

Hey all. Merry Christmas! I just finished the Initiation novel and I thought I'd check in. It was a fun read, fast paced and a nice way to spend a few hours in the Mass Effect universe. Of course it also makes you remember that Andromeda is over, there's no more DLC and no new ME game for the foreseeable future which sucks. I still haven't watched that Ten Years of Mass Effect video from N7 Day, guess I should finally get around to doing that.

#1237 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

I also read though Initiation while on vacation and find it to be a good read. Shame all we have left is the Annihilation book and that's it.

#1238 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5407 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm reading one of the Discworld books now, but I'm considering getting these ME:A books next.  Like Ryuu said, it'll be nice to spend a few hours in the ME universe again.

By the way, ME2 and ME3 are on sale on XBL for $10 each.  Kinda cool to have them 100% digitally on the X1. 

#1239 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49876 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

They are also available via EA Access for free, if I remember correctly.

#1240 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

2018 has been a whole new Mass Effect kick for me. I'm reading the Revelation novel, and doing a new playthrough of ME1. :) An Xbox One remaster with new gamerscore sure would be nice!

#1241 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

I bit my tongue when the sale was going and got ME 1 & 2 digitally. Seems silly but I have them digitally now and they were a decent price to pick up. I'm planning on going back to Andromeda after the 20th when my Game Pass ends. At the moment I'm working on games in that. Lol, I'm afraid if I go back and play ME1 or 2 that I'll continue to grow the backlog and that was already pretty bad because I was doing another playthrough of ME1 & ME2 lol.

#1242 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Finished ME1, on to ME2. I saved the Council for what I think was the first time ever.

#1243 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5407 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:45 PM

^^  That's funny because I don't think I ever didn't save the council.  Maybe once, but hell if I remember.  I still say ME1 is the best game of all time. 

#1244 RBK  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Haven't played ME1 in so long, but had good memories then.  Mass Effect 2 has to be my favorite in the series.

Playing Andromeda recently, hopefully I can stay steady enough to finish it before jumping to another game.  Still other games I want to clear out my backlog.

#1245 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

ME1 really has not aged badly. The combat is lame compared to 2 and 3 and the inventory management is a nuisance. Other than that it's great. The character models and faces still look pretty damn good tbh.

#1246 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

^ Texture popping and slow elevators were the main cons from ME1. Later got patched but the game is still a bit buggy. Then yeah you have the combat system, which was heavily refined in ME2/3, and the saving system was a bit limited. (Although the area I'm stuck on in Andromeda shares this same auto-save limitation)

The pros though, amazing story, really good character development, good dialogue tree, a lot of exploration and customization/RPG skill tree/weapon/armor options/freedom. Very inventive new world/lore setup and player choice being the biggest draw for ME1. A lot of the issues ME1 had were technical though, working with a new engine and all, and were fixed and/ or refined in the sequels. I feel Andromeda is a good ME1 like remake and felt the sequels after that would have some great potential. Just sad that we might never see that. 

#1247 RBK  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:28 AM

I'm sure there's no plans of just canning the IP altogether, want to say it still did well as far as sales.

#1248 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Maybe it's my imagination but the load times in both ME1 and ME2 feel a lot shorter on the Bone.

As for future ME, I'm consoling myself that they're still producing novels, and Casey Hudson is back at BioWare. They haven't abandoned the brand, at least that's what I'm telling myself. I wouldn't bet on another Andromeda game though, if there's another game it'll be back in the Milky Way.

#1249 RBK  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Do have to say I don't think there's a Mass Effect as expansive as this one.

#1250 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:10 PM

Maybe it's my imagination but the load times in both ME1 and ME2 feel a lot shorter on the Bone.

As for future ME, I'm consoling myself that they're still producing novels, and Casey Hudson is back at BioWare. They haven't abandoned the brand, at least that's what I'm telling myself. I wouldn't bet on another Andromeda game though, if there's another game it'll be back in the Milky Way.

Not necessarily having the utmost confidence that Casey Hudson is back as I felt some things which he managed were handled poorly. Whatever Bioware decides to do next though, it's a sure thing they have to have a hit out of the park to even contend with the average RPG/Action gamer now.

#1251 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5407 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

I think it's good that Casey is back.  He clearly has nostalgia for the series as it was his baby.  If nothing else, I can see him nurturing more by the way of books or comics or maybe even our mythical remasters. 

Honestly, if I have a dream scenario right now, it'd be short AAA Indie style ME games in the vein of Senua Hellblade or whatever that game by Ninja Theory is called.  Think 8 to 12 hours in playtime, high production values using already established tools, hell....use the ME3 toolset even.  And then tell shorter stories, maybe some first contact war content, maybe some of Garrus as Arch Angel, maybe some of Kaiden/Ashley as a Spectre, Anderson fighting in London during ME3, etc.  Introduce us to a new character or two perhaps?  Each would be smaller and more intimate, but I'd buy each and every one of them at $30 a pop. 

#1252 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

I could seriously go for a Telltale Mass Effect game.

#1253 1mhot3K   DealHunter CAGiversary!   333 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

I could seriously go for a Telltale Mass Effect game.

That would be fire! They have to pull something high level like their Borderlands or Walking Dead material. Nothing ho hum, and no more of that horrible engine

#1254 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

Eh, I think Bioware is more into grand epic games so I don't see a Telltale version any time soon.

#1255 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:28 AM

Anthem delayed to 2019. I'm not against Anthem (I love Destiny), but it worries me that BioWare seems to be betting the farm on it, and it'll be years before we get another Dragon Age, and many more years before we get more Mass Effect, if ever.

#1256 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1825 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

Best Buy deals of the day (April 22):

Mass Effect: Andromeda Collector's Edition Remote Control Nomad ND1 - $79.99 (was $199.99)

Mass Effect: Andromeda Collector's Edition Nomad ND1 - $29.99 (was $99.99)

#1257 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5407 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:23 PM

Tomorrow is N7 day, boys and girls. Keep expectations low, but remember the excellent times we've had. That's what this day is for.

#1258 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10534 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

Tomorrow is N7 day, boys and girls. Keep expectations low, but remember the excellent times we've had. That's what this day is for.

They actually just released an X1X enhanced patch for Andromeda in the last 24 hours. Not much, but considering I was expecting nothing, it's fine with me.

#1259 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5407 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:44 PM

And, for those interested, the second ME Andromeda book is only .99 for Kindle on Amazon.

#1260 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11183 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

The new Andromeda novel, a new Tempest model, and a vague "We love Mass Effect and there will be another game someday, maybe" video from Bioware. Pretty blah N7 Day. :/