Game Collecting--Keep Both Originals and GH/Million Sellers/Etc.

Rydias

CAGiversary!
So I'm hitting that point in my game collecting where I'm trying to decide if I should keep the Greatest Hits version of something along with the original.  I don't feel so bad keeping just the original of a PSOne or PS2 game over the Greatest Hits version, but with older games it's trickier. 

I have a couple of different versions of "Space Invaders" on Atari 2600 because one is a text front label and the other two are picture labels--but even these have differences as one is a red end label and the other a blue end label.  Last night I came across a "Million Seller" version of "F-Zero" on SNES.  This one has a slightly different label with a smaller picture, the ESRB rating, and even the text on the end label is smaller.  It also has the recessed front of the cart compared to my original version.  I'll try to attach a photo showing the differences.

So here's the conundrum--if I elect not to keep the GH versions of games, what about this?  Stuff like this is more of a variation than just a stripe on the spine/front/disc--it's an alternate cart altogether.

Bonus follow-up:  What about Game of the Year Editions vs. Originals?  Where do you Cheap Ass Gamers stand on stuff like this?

Are you a completist? A variant whore? Have infinite room and infinite money? Then buy and keep everything, I guess.

Are you a purist? Just buying them to play them? Concerned about space and/or cash? Keep one, pass on the rest.

Really, no one can answer this question for you. It's entirely up to what kind of collection you want and how much space and money you have.

Are you a completist? A variant whore? Have infinite room and infinite money? Then buy and keep everything, I guess.

Are you a purist? Just buying them to play them? Concerned about space and/or cash? Keep one, pass on the rest.

Really, no one can answer this question for you. It's entirely up to what kind of collection you want and how much space and money you have.
That's the back and forth running through my head. If, say, I finished collecting all of the SNES games, would I want to go back and go after the variants--and would I regret having not kept any at that point? I'm thinking neither of those scenarious will be the case, but I was curious to hear what other collectors thought and how they handle this.

Would/could there be any benefit in keeping variants other than the fact that you can point to it on the shelf and say "Ayup, I have every version released."

bread's done
Back