Alien: Isolation (PS4) $21.99, PS TV $39 via Amazon

I loved Alien Isolation. Don't buy it if you think it's going to be a COD run and gun style game and to get the most out of the game play on hard. Loved playing at night with the surround sound on. Very challenging in parts.

Also, both XB1 and PS4 versions of Alien: Isolation have been $12-$15 used at Gamefly a couple times in the last month.
Every time I check the sales I keep seeing it for $20, hopefully it'll drop back down at some point.

How is the actual Alien in the game? Does it patrol the halls on its own, or does it use cheap programming tricks like warping nearby to ensure maximum spookiness?

Every time I check the sales I keep seeing it for $20, hopefully it'll drop back down at some point.

How is the actual Alien in the game? Does it patrol the halls on its own, or does it use cheap programming tricks like warping nearby to ensure maximum spookiness?
Patrols area, and leaves/enters through docks.

It's pretty spooky if you play on a difficult setting. If on easy it can at times walk by and ignore you. If you play on hard you really have to work to get past certain areas undetected.

I will buy one of these for twenty dollars.
I bought one for around $25. The only game that I wanted to see on a bigger screen was Tales of Hearts R. I played it for a few hours on my 40" TV and it was...all right. Curiosity satisfied. Wallet not so much. Save your money and stick to the Vita IMO if you already have one. No Vita? Heh, wait for Christmas to come around; I'm betting slim Vitas for $120 or less this Black Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this worth it if I'm interested in playing a few vita games (that I looked up to be PSTV compatible)?  I imagine I would probably still need to invest in a memory stick (which I understand are rather expensive as well).  I'm not sure if it's worthwhile for me to invest money in a Vita...given how little time I get to game nowadays.

Probably should mention that I could get this for $20-25 off a friend who wants to unload it.  

Is this worth it if I'm interested in playing a few vita games (that I looked up to be PSTV compatible)? I imagine I would probably still need to invest in a memory stick (which I understand are rather expensive as well). I'm not sure if it's worthwhile for me to invest money in a Vita...given how little time I get to game nowadays.

Probably should mention that I could get this for $20-25 off a friend who wants to unload it.
Well it depends are you willing to drop the $20, the extra money for the memory card, and the cost of games to actually play them?

because that's all this thing does right. It can't even do netflix right. NETFLIX MAN NETFLIX.

Is this worth it if I'm interested in playing a few vita games (that I looked up to be PSTV compatible)? I imagine I would probably still need to invest in a memory stick (which I understand are rather expensive as well). I'm not sure if it's worthwhile for me to invest money in a Vita...given how little time I get to game nowadays.

It depends on what your expectations are with the system. If you are going to look at it compared to a real console, it will look like a pile of junk. If you look at it as a cheap console that will have a few games you want to play, I think its worth it. I got mine for $25 in the recent kongregate coupon run and felt it has been worth that. That also meant I got all my games at a good discount, and without that I'm not sure I would have bought the thing. I also only got a 4gb memory card as the prices are insane, and I only plan to pick up a few games once they roll around on sale that I can't play on any of my other systems/PC.

If you can get it that cheap and there are games you know you want to play on it, I would say yes. However when comparing it to other stuff, look at it vs cheap android based systems, not a full blown console.

I don't get why everybody is so down on this thing.

I got one at Gamestop for $40 or something, and I'm happy with it.  It's really fun to just take the memory card out of my Vita, pop it in this thing, play on the TV with my stereo, and then take it back out and stick it back in my Vita to play on there.  I like variety.  Nice for both Vita stuff and PSone stuff (easier to just stick the memory card in than to fiddle with uploading/downloading saves to play PSOne on my PS3).

idk maybe its just me. my eyes hurt if i lookt at the vita screen for too long, especially when playing lengthy rpgs such as p4g and sword art online. but i dont have that problem when playing these games on big screens for hours and i can still keep going. nothing is perfect, but i think it's worth it for around $40 to have this nice little option

I loved Alien Isolation. Don't buy it if you think it's going to be a COD run and gun style game and to get the most out of the game play on hard. Loved playing at night with the surround sound on. Very challenging in parts.
I loved it too.. but I played it on easy.. or regular.. forget which mode.. and it is DAMN hard for the 1st few hours. But it is GREAT! very different from anything I have played before. The Alien AI is probably too good... and forget the actual alien, the people are TOUGH TOO!! great game. I hope they make another.

I loved it too.. but I played it on easy.. or regular.. forget which mode.. and it is DAMN hard for the 1st few hours. But it is GREAT! very different from anything I have played before. The Alien AI is probably too good... and forget the actual alien, the people are TOUGH TOO!! great game. I hope they make another.
I'm playing Alien Isolation right now (Walmart has it for in store pickup at the same price). I thought the gameplay might get repetitive after an hour or two, but so far they have paced it rather well. The story in Isolation is a way better contribution to the Alien mythos than Alien 3 or Resurrection ever offered... though it would be nice to play one friggin' horror game where people aren't spray-painting cryptic messages everywhere. They're like the new exploding barrels!

The AI is... okay. There have been a couple of un-scripted moments with the Xenomorph that completely caught me off guard; otherwise it's pretty easy to figure out when and where the alien will strike, at least in the campaign. My understanding is that the enemy AI gets a bit more aggressive on higher difficulties, but I don't know if that actually fixes some of the jankier experiences I've had. There have been a few times that I have literally walked right in front of enemies and it never raised any reaction other than "did you hear something?"

I think it's definitely worth $22, especially as something to keep around for when Project Morpheus comes out (assuming the game will support it... and also assuming any of these VR headsets actually ever come out)

bread's done
Back