Sony 24" Playstation 3D Display (Manufacturer Refurbished) - $129.99 - Groupon

Hey guys

id never shop there again but who am I to stop others though I can say I recommend groupon as they have a lot of DOA, but these are DOA to begin with so if they are refurbished and working should be fine, I mean groupon cant break it twice before changing hands can they? (....well maybe lol)

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-playstation-3d-display-1

It still is the best sony display IMHO if you are lucky to get a good one that lasts

Hey guys

id never shop there again but who am I to stop others though I can say I recommend groupon as they have a lot of DOA, but these are DOA to begin with so if they are refurbished and working should be fine, I mean groupon cant break it twice before changing hands can they? (....well maybe lol)

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-playstation-3d-display-1

It still is the best sony display IMHO if you are lucky to get a good one that lasts

I bought mine on a black friday 2012 for $100 plus $7 shipping at bestbuy The display is still working as the first day I used, only with some flashlights (black ones for around like 1-2 seconds). It has the Best sound I ever heard for a tv.
Still 150 right now for a display that has a high percentage of malfunction is still expensive.
I heard people that the display only worked like 1 month

I've had one since Gamestop dropped them to 199 three years ago.  While it would rarely randomly black screen, it's still working just fine and I've been using it as a computer monitor 12+ hours a day since I bought it.

I got a bad one. Bought mine for $100 at Best Buy way back when and it stopped working not long after. 

Yes, I bought mine for $100 flat, no tax or shipping, and it came with nothing but the power cord, and its working beautifully

I bought 3 over the first 2 years after launch and they all broke within a few days if not DOA

So, I think its an AWESOME display especially the best for 3D Ps3 gameplay, and its a nice cheap excellent monitor but just letting u guys know

in other words, the refurbished units are generally working fine, but the ones that made it through the bad QC will break for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had mine for over 3 years and use it daily. Definitely a very good 1080p monitor. This price is kinda high sat this point but it may be the best place to find one

Got mine for $100 on black friday a couple years ago. Black screens constantly. I wouldn't spend $150 on one, personally. Might get one of the good ones, though, you never know.

This is not a deal and has been cheaper numerous times.

There are much better monitors/TVs in the price range with better response time/input lag anyway.  3D has been all but abandoned so don't consider it much of an incentive.

Keep in mind there's no TV tuner in these.  In other words, if you're going to use it as a TV, you need to hook a cable box or vcr or something with a channel selector built-in.

Simulview is kind of cool, though.

50/50 chance of breaking. I luckily had warranty when mine broke on the same day from best buy. If you can deal with random blackouts, no remote controller, and no cable support, I would recommend it. btw if your smartphone has IR functionality, it'll work as a controller. There's also two identical models of this monitor so be cautious of it. Just message me if you have questions about this monitor!

Yep, got mine on BF too.

I love it. Picture is great.

It does have problems though. I get the occasional black screen. And the speakers seem to have some problem and sound "tinny", but I mainly use a headset or earbuds. I've also got this weird problem where the bottom, right corner of the glass covering the screen pops out and needs to be pushed back in every few days. Don't know why that's happening.

As far as the product itself, this is actually a pretty good TV/Monitor, if it wasn't for the high probability that it'll break.

I've read that the refurbished ones were those that had the issues fixed. Not sure how true that is, but if it is true, 130 is a really good price and totally worth it.

I bought one nearly four years ago, I believe it was the first time it dropped to $200 at the end of 2011. Still use it as my second PC monitor/PS3 hookup.. the screen blacks out for a second every now and then, otherwise there are no real problems.

That said, I have to imagine that there are better screens available for the same price (or less) these days. Disregarding this product's spotty track record, how many games are you going to play in 3D? Simulview is a cool demo, but are you and a friend really going to saddle up together in front of a 24" screen?

Paid $80 at BestBuy when they were closing them out, font use everyday just when I wanna play a 3D game. Not for cinephiles but very saturated colors make for purdy gameplay. Shame Simulview wasn't implemented on other TVs, its a good tech for couch co-op.

Aren't these things super cheap and prone to dying on you? Here's a better tv

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-24-1080p-led-lcd-tv-169-hdtv-1080p-black/1307988046.p?id=mp1307988046&skuId=1307988046

Same size, same resolution, missing 3D but makes up for it by being smart enabled, all for only $3 more
Vizio TV's are crap. Their colors are way the hell off and the settings to mess with them suck. I actually have the sony and it looks quite good. I never use or care for the 3d but the picture quality and colors are quite good for the size. I did hear about a lot of lemons though so that is something to consider

I have this tv and love it but be warned that there is an eeprom inside the main board that is prone to corruption. This is why many of these tvs get the blinking red light issue. All you have to do is replace/reflash the eeprom to fix. Easy if you know what you're doing and have good solder skills. I've done it once in the last three years.

Aren't these things super cheap and prone to dying on you? Here's a better tv

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-24-1080p-led-lcd-tv-169-hdtv-1080p-black/1307988046.p?id=mp1307988046&skuId=1307988046

Same size, same resolution, missing 3D but makes up for it by being smart enabled, all for only $3 more

Sorry but 3D is pretty much the whole point of even considering this TV. I don't care when people say 3D's gimmick. It's just that no other TVs have 3D functionality at this size and price. It's a bit pointless to suggest other cheap TVs.

I still agree with you and op though. How do we know that these refurbs are repaired and won't die 2-3 months later? Was there ever a permanent fix in the past? 

Also price's $130 so op might wanna edit that.

Also this does not come with 3D glasses, just TV and power cable.

Got one a few years ago. Only used it sparingly to watch a 3D movie or play a 3D game. Then my PC monitor broke and I used this as a monitor, it was pretty damn good. Then my main old school TV broke and I used it as my new main viewing tv. Sadly after about a year I got a dead pixel. I still use it as my main cable tv but it sucks always having a blue line permanently etched on the screen.

Got one a few years ago. Only used it sparingly to watch a 3D movie or play a 3D game. Then my PC monitor broke and I used this as a monitor, it was pretty damn good. Then my main old school TV broke and I used it as my new main viewing tv. Sadly after about a year I got a dead pixel. I still use it as my main cable tv but it sucks always having a blue line permanently etched on the screen.
I wanted to get one back when they were $100 but read enough stuff like this to avoid it. Tons of people reported dead pixels and/or dead units around 1 year.

These were some nice displays. It's a shame most broke on here. I still remember when they went on clearance and most broke shortly after using them.

If they were more reliable I would totally buy one. 

Just to share my experience with this display. I bought it for 300 approximately 6 month after they released. I loved it and use it daily for my main pc monitor. The blackout does occur, but rarely and i am beginning to notice a bit of an issue with the sound (I have it connected via hdmi to the pc). I would recommend this screen at that price, and with 2 hdmi ports, it allows for you to connect a console as well if you are looking to have it be multi-use. 

Note: The screen does not turn on automatically when you turn on your pc. Just something to be aware of

* I bought it for the 3d functionality, but i have barely used it for that. 

I bought 2 of these for $150 each, from Newegg, a couple of years ago and have been using them pretty much every day since with no problems. I use one as a PC display and the other is connected to m PS3, PS4, & Wii U

I also bought a 4 year Square Trade warranty just because I heard of all of the issues surrounding them. Haven't had to use it though. Smooth sailing. :)

The picture is beautiful and the stereoscopic 3D on games such as WipeOut HD, Uncharted 3, and Super StarDust HD is amazing!

I took some pictures of the unboxing along with a mini-review in case anyone is interested.
http://videogameobsession.com/videogame/ps3/PlayStation3DDisplay

I bought one of these from Best Buy.  It was the only time I bought an extended warranty and it died within a year.  They're notorious for being absolute garbage.  First runs worked well but everything after that was outsourced.

Sounds like most people who got the new product had issues and those who bought the refurbs were less likely to encounter issues.  I'll hold out for a sub $100 price range and then roll the dice.  Been playing most of my games on a 42"+ TV and it just gets to be too much, especially when trying to play faster paced games (like an fps).  Having a smaller screen and not having to move my head around to see the entire screen helps to reduce the discombobulation after i'm done.

Look many of you have gone down the rabbit hole on this one so I'll break it down as the OP {just a summation for anyone just tuning in}

1. I also bought 2 brand new ones in 2013&2014 : 1 died RLOD in a week, the other was DOA

2. I did a lot of reading and inquiring to find out nearly ALL of the units were recalled and refurbished; Sony sold at a loss thousands in lot sales ... According to Sony people the refurbished units all have the defective part replaced with fresh functional units

3. I bought one from newegg and it was refurbished , but perfect ; not one issue yet and I don't expect one after I did bump into it a few times (which less force has broken other)

4. CONCLUSION: the refurbished units are indeed fully operational and free of defect, but the return policy should be within 30 days because if you don't get RLOD By then it's not coming

So if your waiting , this 3D is best I've seen for PS3 games (and I owned the best 3d monitor in the world VG278H) buy and try; if it breaks within 30 days exchange or return ;)

***COUPON CODE: GOOD10

Brings it to $120-125 total!

(Posted this in the Newegg thread for this item as well)

How are these for playing retro games, like Virtual Console for instance, or (if you prefer) modern twitchy kind of games?  

I have a 2008 or 2007 or something Sony Bravia 720P which you think would be fine for whatever, but it LAGS like crazy, way worse than the Wii U Gamepad, and makes retro games impossible and probably affects modern games too (Mario Kart? who knows).

I'd love to be able to play my retro games I have on Virtual Console and PS3.  This is cheap and seems like a good solution.

man in true cag fashion, I've had one of these sitting my basement NIB for YEARS.

Bought it for $100 and paid like 15 or so for a 4 year bestbuy warranty.

Wonder when it expires - I should open it soon.

I own 4 of these, and they are still going strong.  Two of them are daily drivers and the other two get periodic use.  All 4 have Chromecasts in them and they work fantastically with them.

I think they were only $100 each as refurbs the last time they showed up.

Look many of you have gone down the rabbit hole on this one so I'll break it down as the OP {just a summation for anyone just tuning in}

1. I also bought 2 brand new ones in 2013&2014 : 1 died RLOD in a week, the other was DOA

2. I did a lot of reading and inquiring to find out nearly ALL of the units were recalled and refurbished; Sony sold at a loss thousands in lot sales ... According to Sony people the refurbished units all have the defective part replaced with fresh functional units

3. I bought one from newegg and it was refurbished , but perfect ; not one issue yet and I don't expect one after I did bump into it a few times (which less force has broken other)

4. CONCLUSION: the refurbished units are indeed fully operational and free of defect, but the return policy should be within 30 days because if you don't get RLOD By then it's not coming

So if your waiting , this 3D is best I've seen for PS3 games (and I owned the best 3d monitor in the world VG278H) buy and try; if it breaks within 30 days exchange or return ;)

***COUPON CODE: GOOD10

Brings it to $120-125 total!
If it does break after 30 days, can it be repaired by an average person or a nearby TV repairman? Or will it become a garbage?

bread's done
Back