Barnes & Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale July 2015

midlifecrisisMkII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Talked to one of the sales clerks about the Criterion sale and they said it is happening, but didn't know the exact start date.  They guessed it might be around the 7th or 8th of July.  When I find out the exact dates I'll update this post.

Edit: Sale dates 7/7 - 7/27

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit. Thanks OP. I missed out on Devil's Backbone on BD last time and to make myself feel better about it, I racked up $200 in fresh Criterion. Maybe if I go on day one and snag it, I'll forego the rest of the sale. Worth a shot anyway.

Stopped by another store today and the clerk said it does start on Tues. the 7th and ends on Mon. the 27th.  I talked to them while they were going through a couple of cases of Criterion blus and dvds that were sent to re-stock for the sale. 

:)..... What is criterion?
A publisher of Blu-Rays and DVDs (started with Laser Discs), they release a lot of different types of movies from all over the world. They release the best version possible with a lot of good extras. Their releases are highly collectable.

-Bobert

Costco had a floor display with a number of Criterion titles, all priced at $19.99, as an aside.

Only ones I remember were Fantastic Mr Fox and Watership Down.

I sold a lot of my Criterion DVDs years ago when I was switching everything over to Blu-Ray. This may be a good time for me to re-buy a lot of those films, especially the Kurosawa films. 

I sold a lot of my Criterion DVDs years ago when I was switching everything over to Blu-Ray. This may be a good time for me to re-buy a lot of those films, especially the Kurosawa films.
I hope you checked as some of them haven't gotten a blu reprint yet. ie. Dead Ringers and probably never will. Also my favorite Kurasawa film (Ikiru) hasn't either. I am considering buying the Zatoichi collection

Well worth the purchase, picked it up last year during their sale for ~$75 or so. The artwork of the box is beautifully done one worth the price of admission.

oh god, I just got coupons for 20% any item until the end of July because of my Barnes & Noble Memberhship. It's like they're trying to ruin my life. Anyways...

Limelight will be mine....

Whooof, I hit this sale hard. Great big stack of Criterion Blu-Rays. And most of them films that I have never seen. Good stuff.

Last time we had a sale where I used a coupon it needed a manager override and usually had a "this isn't supposed to work together, though I will /this/ time....." at the end of the ring-up process.

I actually used one of my 20% off coupons online right now and it worked without a hitch! Shouldn't have an issue! I do remember a while back when I used the emailed coupons they used to need an override but they might have changed it now? I'm honestly not sure. But so far a success!

Haul so far: 

Limelight

Tootsie

Gates of Heaven/Vernon, Florida

all blu

Got the Wallace Shawn/Andre Gregory set, The Killers, Le Silence De Le Mer, and Ride the Pink Horse.

Planning on getting the Kinoshita WW2 and Silent Ozu Eclipse sets next week, then I think I'm done. The November sale, though... That's gonna be a haul.

Also, guy with Ninja Gaiden avatar contemplating Zatoichi: DO IT. They're great, and not the sort of genre fare you might expect from the rapid pace at which they were produced. Much more thoughtful, poignant, Kurosawa-like works.

I think I seen most of these on Hulu, under the seldom-explored "Movie" folder--at least most of the Akira Kurosawa ones that interest me used to be.

BluRays are nice, and lately I been hunting for cheap ones, but just adding that in case anyone already has Hulu sub and wants to really be a cheap ass, especially when streaming quality of such old film and audio should be pretty on par with the BluRays.

Also it's possible they were under limited contract and possibly not there anymore... If so sorry for misinformation.

Ed: Double-checked, Hulu Plus has and has had a pretty extensive Criterion Collection selection for some time now, tho I'm sure selection may vary from the printed BluRays.

Ed: Double-checked, Hulu Plus has and has had a pretty extensive Criterion Collection selection for some time now, tho I'm sure selection may vary from the printed BluRays.
You don't get the special features which are, in many cases, worth the price of the disc alone, as they should be. Criterion literally invented commentary tracks and was very instrumental in a lot of other features standard on media now. But it's still pretty cool they have them on Hulu (and other places as well, I think) if you just want to see the movies.

I snagged Watership Down, Hidden Fortress, 12 Angry Men, and The Samurai Trilogy. I wanted about 10 more but they will have to wait for the next round!

Just found out Mulholand Dr is coming to blu-ray with a Criterion release in October. Can't wait!
Amazon has it for about $28 but couldn't find it on B&N's mobile site to see which is cheapest right now. I don't even have a B&N's store anywhere near me. Can anyone help me out with where I should pre-order? Thanks!

^NOTE: Effective in-store only!

Finally figured out how to get it to show up on mobile and found out you can pre-order Mulholand Dr. For $27.55. I can never remember is pre-orders are part of this deal. I seem to believe I pre-ordered Antichrist and Che a few years back– maybe not.

Anyway, currently have Mulholand Dr,, Don't Look Now, and Toyal Tenenbaums in my cart. Trying to decide to get these now or wait til their next sale.

This sale always lasts long enough to talk myself out of some great purchases.

I've purchased...

Yojimbo & Sanjuro 

Harakiri

The Hidden Fortress

12 Angry Men

This is my first Barnes & Noble Criterion sale. Tempted to buy more, but I've already spent so much on other things recently. 

Finally figured out how to get it to show up on mobile and found out you can pre-order Mulholand Dr. For $27.55. I can never remember is pre-orders are part of this deal. I seem to believe I pre-ordered Antichrist and Che a few years back– maybe not.
No, pre-orders aren't part of the sale, unless they come out during the sale. Some people have had some luck in the past with getting store associates to give them the discount on a pre-order when ordering in-store, but that's extremely YMMV and I think it's even less likely now than it used to be.

bread's done
Back