Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 -$199.99 @ Micro Center in store

Best buy still sells CPUs?  I havent seen one in my local stores since the days of Circuit City!  BTW: There is *always* an i5 K-series CPU on sale at MC for $200.  They just keep updating to the newest one from Ivy Bridge to Haswell to now Haswell-Refresh/Devil's Canyon.

Pretty sure those have been $200 at MicroCenter all year.  You wanna get mobos there too since (usually) you get a $30-40 discount when buying a CPU and mobo together.

They charge online sales taxes though, which make it slightly cheaper than buying from Newegg. Great for people who live near them however.

They charge online sales taxes though, which make it slightly cheaper than buying from Newegg. Great for people who live near them however.
Even so, micro center is still considerably cheaper than newegg. Last I checked it was 239.99 + shipping cost on newegg. Micro center is about $25-$30 cheaper than newegg even after taxes (some people get charged sales tax on newegg, making the difference in price even higher).

Last edited by a moderator:
newegg doesn't charge sales taxes for me
Which is why I said that, its $241.98 shipped on Newegg for most states (only 4 or 5 are excluded). On MC is $217.25 after taxes, almost all the MC stores across the US charges tax and you have to pick it up, that's a $24.73 difference. Then again its a great deal if you live near one of those stores, for instance, I'll not go from Rhode Island to Long Island/Brooklyn (closest store) just to save $24+ dollars.

Which is why I said that, its $241.98 shipped on Newegg for most states (only 4 or 5 are excluded). On MC is $217.25 after taxes, almost all the MC stores across the US charges tax and you have to pick it up, that's a $24.73 difference. Then again its a great deal if you live near one of those stores, for instance, I'll not go from Rhode Island to Long Island/Brooklyn (closest store) just to save $24+ dollars.
No one knows what the hell you're talking about.

Is this better than my i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Quad Core and is it worth upgrading to that?
Not worth the update. Great processor if you're building a new rig (like I did last October), but no value in upgrading. Additionally, most x-series mobos do not support this chip. As such, it would likely be an upgrade to the processor AND the motherboard.

Is this better than my i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Quad Core and is it worth upgrading to that?
Yes, it's better. No it's not worth the upgrade.

Not worth the update. Great processor if you're building a new rig (like I did last October), but no value in upgrading. Additionally, most x-series mobos do not support this chip. As such, it would likely be an upgrade to the processor AND the motherboard.
This is correct the 3570 needs a 1155 chipset motherboard and the OP mentioned 4690 needs a 1150 mobo. Particularly for gaming, you would be *much* better off putting that $200+ towards a new GPU.

Nice deal. I got mine for $40 at Goodwill last week :)

kNvJSzI.jpg

I bought this a few months ago for my new computer. If you check the circular you can combo it with a motherboard and ram to save a few bucks compared to newegg. The other components are cheaper  online.

Seriously the goodwill? What a steal! Also yeah not worth upgrading from 3570k unless you're building a new rig. None the less it's a great cpu. Yeah I got bb to price shipping takes forever though unless you're elite plus and I'm just elite

As someone building a PC on a tight budget I hate you so much right now.
I was in the position just like you last year. It tooked me about 2 months to build one because I was buying parts by parts via slickdeals/anandtech. I ended up with an i3 4360, 8gb ddr3 ram, 120gb sdd hdd, 1TB WD HDD, 7870 gpu, Asrock Mobo 97pro4, Corsair tower/PSU, Windows 8.1, Steelseries Gaming Keyboard/Mouse for under $800. At first I regretted buying the i3 because I couldn't play most newer games at high/ultra settings while my friends could (all had i5) but I didn't care as long I could play indie/ps3/360 graphic quality games. Got lucky last week and found an i5 at my local GW locked behind the window. I bought it immediatly and then swapped the CPU. Tested Ryse and Batman Arkham Knights (awful port) and looked up and yelled out "Thank you God".

I was in the position just like you last year. It tooked me about 2 months to build one because I was buying parts by parts via slickdeals/anandtech. I ended up with an i3 4360, 8gb ddr3 ram, 120gb sdd hdd, 1TB WD HDD, 7870 gpu, Asrock Mobo 97pro4, Corsair tower/PSU, Windows 8.1, Steelseries Gaming Keyboard/Mouse for under $800. At first I regretted buying the i3 because I couldn't play most newer games at high/ultra settings while my friends could (all had i5) but I didn't care as long I could play indie/ps3/360 graphic quality games. Got lucky last week and found an i5 at my local GW locked behind the window. I bought it immediatly and then swapped the CPU. Tested Ryse and Batman Arkham Knights (awful port) and looked up and yelled out "Thank you God".
As somebody who did the same, used slickdeals and tried to get the very best deals while maintaining quality, I was a bit disappointed when I saw that through all my penny pinching, I really only saved about $150-$200 MAX. I'm still not done with my build (nearly a year in the making), so I really hope everything works out of the box when I assemble it. Still waiting for newegg to have a deal on this very CPU (have credit there) and also waiting on a sub $300 gtx 970 (I'm very particular in the model I want: either a g1 gaming or the SSC ACX 2.0+, nothing else will suffice in my mind).

You been building a PC for a year ??

Your PC is going to be like triple-outdated by the time it is done lol ><
No, I'm afraid. No, If you go with the proper components or path, you could have got an i5-4670K 1 or 2 years ago and still as for today you have a pretty good CPU for gaming, even though Skylake is around the corner. Same goes for the GPU the GTX 970 is pretty decent for a least 2 years.

This is the normal price. It used to be cheaper on some sales. Great CPU though. Someone has never heard of microcenter. You save $40 when you buy a mobo and cpu together.

Get ready for skylake folks

You been building a PC for a year ??

Your PC is going to be like triple-outdated by the time it is done lol ><
Not really. Even the stuff that I bought a year ago, somebody could be buying today and would consider as being "up to date" (case, CPU cooler, case fans, RAM, HDD, etc). The CPU and graphics card will be "outdated" within the next 3-9 months (the i5 4690k and gtx 970 respectively), but that's true of almost all technology. Heck most peoples' phones are outdated within a couple months of purchasing it, if not sooner.

There's really no way around buying stuff that will become outdated, unless of course you buy the last line of something before it becomes discontinued and is never made again.

Get ready for skylake folks
My wallet is ready!

I'll just sit tight until the end of September (after launch) though, seeing the little to none availability of Broadwell now (launched about a month ago), I have the feeling it will be the same for Skylake, low availability and prices way over its MSRP, so I'll just pretend it will launch 1-2 month later and don't jump in the hype train just yet.

bread's done
Back