* * * * - 5 votes

LG 42" 42LF5600 LED 1080p HDTV - 27MS Input Lag (Good for gaming TV) $350at BB & AMZ

tv input lag response time gaming tv hdtv 1080p

#1 gthirst   Esper CAGiversary!   1240 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

medium02.jpg

BEST BUY

AMAZON

Why am I posting this TV in the gaming section?

DISPLAY LAG reported that it is the best budget TV for gaming of the 2014 holiday season.  This is actually the 2015 reissue of the same TV, reported to have the same internals as well as same response time and input lag.

Almost certain to fly over everyone’s radar, I tested this little gem earlier this week and found it to have one of the lowest input lag numbers available in its screen size. It’s one of LG’s most basic displays, featuring a 1080p resolution and a 60hz refresh rate. No fancy WebOS or Smart TV functionality here either. For what it lacks in flash, it makes up for in operation. The OSD is very quick and responsive, along with its low input lag numbers when set to “Game” picture mode. Which, by the way, clocks in at a very low 27ms, putting it very close to some of Sony’s faster displays! Two HDMI inputs are present, along with an old school component/composite connection, for those still rocking analog devices. The real star of the show is its price tag. Here’s a hint: it’s well under $500, making it the perfect impulse purchase for any gamer. 

Input lag is important to many gamers.  This is an excellent TV for the price point.

Further, according to TRAKTOR this is the lowest price the TV has been brand new.

On Best Buy, you can also buy open box (Geek Squad Certified) for $321.99 or open box (excellent) for $311.99.  I received a broken TV in the mail last time I opened open box, so YMMV.

It is also an extremely well reviewed TV on both BB and Amazon.

Alternatively, you can also find the 32" version for $50 less, but I'm not sure on the input lag.

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited
Media Card Slot No
Component Video Inputs - 1
Composite Video Inputs - 1
HDMI Inputs - 2
Number Of Speakers - 2
USB Port(s) - 1
PC Input - No
Refresh Rate - 60Hz
Maximum Resolution - 1920 x 1080
Screen Size 41.9 inches
Display Type LED
Wall Mountable Yes
Network Compatibility - None
Digital Optical Audio Outputs - 1
RF Antenna Input - Yes
Simulated Surround - Yes
Speaker Output - 20 watts
Specific Manufacturer Technologies Triple XD Engine, Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching), Real Cinema 24p
Surround Sound Supported - Dolby Digital
V-Chip - Yes

Please inform me if you would like anything noted or added to this post.

#2 ZeroUnderOne   CAG CAGiversary!   297 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

ZeroUnderOne

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

Anyone experienced playing smash melee on this thing?

#3 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   443 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

27ms is considered fast?

I bought an HDTV about 10 years ago and it has 10ms and its actually bigger than this and has more inputs.

#4 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7152 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

I guess it's fast when all these tvs are concerned with packing internet features than actual quality and performance. These things are going to the garbage bin in less than five years anyway.

#5 Calamitous Intent  

Calamitous Intent

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

27ms is considered fast?

I bought an HDTV about 10 years ago and it has 10ms and its actually bigger than this and has more inputs.

Its considered very good, not excellent. For 90% of game you would not have any issue. However for something like Fighting games you would want to find something in the 17-18ms minus range. This would be a 1 frame delay. However unless your a hardcore player this would suite most.

Edit: also according to Display lag this is 28ms, not 27. http://www.displayla...splay-database/

#6 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

People always talk about this yet when I plug into any ol' HDTV its fine from what I've seen. Maybe I've only had decent TVs.I think I saw a problem with SSB and mega man, on wiiU, but on HDMI. Only problem I've seen

#7 LegendAssassin  

LegendAssassin

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

People always talk about this yet when I plug into any ol' HDTV its fine from what I've seen. Maybe I've only had decent TVs.I think I saw a problem with SSB and mega man, on wiiU, but on HDMI. Only problem I've seen

The main problem I see is just older consoles on newer TVs never a problem with playing new consoles on new TVs.

#8 plus1zero   The wall just got 10 feet higher CAGiversary!   6745 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

28ms is good? I remember when I got one of the highest rated Sony 32" 720p tv's back in 07, it had a 6ms response time and that was just considered decent.

I bought a Sharp best buy Black Friday special a couple years ago to put in the bedroom. Not sure what the response time is on that thing but it's pretty bad for gaming. You can maneuver around and you'll hear the sound a half a second later

Guest_ElvisTheGreat_*

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

I actually bought this exact same TV for my brother back in may for the same price. It's a beautiful TV. Only gaming he's done on it was with PSTV playing AK. Looked great.

#10 Strider Turbulence   Banned Banned   6540 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Strider Turbulence

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

BenQ 1ms input lag.  Can't go back to anything more.

#11 SrDiesel49  

SrDiesel49

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

can anyone suggest a good 50' inch gaming TV? 

#12 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Side Note I found an old 42" LG at Salvation army for $180 and that's what I've been using.

can anyone suggest a good 50' inch gaming TV? 

Yes, get a good one. They're good. I'm sorry

28ms is good? I remember when I got one of the highest rated Sony 32" 720p tv's back in 07, it had a 6ms response time and that was just considered decent.

Response time is different than input lag. Responses time is generally the color change of the pixel and (I believe) is a trait to look at for "ghosting" problems.

The Refresh rate is how many images are drawn/displayed per second and input lag is generally not mentioned anywhere on the specs of a TV. But it's the difference of pressing foward and you walking foward, etc.

As far as I can tell unless your making a living off of playing video games (I.E. you have to wear a jacket that says mountain dew/etc.) It doesn't seem to be a problem, if it is, such as the one time I had an input lag problem, I switched from the WiiU's HDMI to the component cables. If you have component cable for the system in question try that

The ONLY problem I've had consistly is sound crackling. Playing Portal on 360 was impossible because of it, and I just had it last night on Halo CE of the xbone collection.

As much as I complain about how input lag doesn't matter, I know that if I had a low one it would definitely matter to me from then on.

#13 Dez88  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

Is this Tv available at the store?

#14 gooflee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   71 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

This forum is getting to liberal with what is considered a deal.

#15 HelloooNurse  

HelloooNurse

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

$200 or bust on an LG this size. 

If you want a low input lag 50" without sacrificing display quality, I'd suggest the Sony KDL50W800B. The 3D is worthless (which I don't care about), and it doesn't have the standard VESA pattern required by most wall mounts on the market, so you'd have to purchase a ridiculous Sony adapter to use a standard full-motion wall mount.

Otherwise it's a wonderful set that can be picked up on Amazon for $600-$700 regularly. What sold me on this particular display was its deep blacks. I play a lot of dark games--Batman: Arkham Asylum has never looked better. Maybe I'm a little more impressed because my old 40" Vizio had an overly red/orange tinge (looked like everyone had a spray-on tan lol).

The TV comes with 2 pair of 3D glasses, a silver bezel stand (does not rotate), and fixed wall mount hooks. Rtings.com even has a guide for recommended settings to achieve optimal gaming performance.

#16 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

This forum is getting to liberal with what is considered a deal.

Go ahead and play your games with no TV

#17 ORGAN1ZAT10N_13  

ORGAN1ZAT10N_13

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

I have a 50" LG that I picked up last fall for just $100 more at Micro Center

#18 limelight022  

limelight022

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

my pc monitor is 5ms and i bought that almost 10 years ago. 

#19 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3604 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

Its considered very good, not excellent. For 90% of game you would not have any issue. However for something like Fighting games you would want to find something in the 17-18ms minus range. This would be a 1 frame delay. However unless your a hardcore player this would suite most.

Edit: also according to Display lag this is 28ms, not 27. http://www.displayla...splay-database/

I have a hard time believing that 99.9% of people will ever notice a 10ms difference in input lag and an even harder time believing that the shorter lag would actually help improve player performance for them.  Input lag, like a lot of other things, is probably over-exaggerated.  Yes, i'm sure some of you have incredible skill and brain power, so you would be in the .1% and I am not posting this to denigrate anyone.  I'll bet that a lot of gamers don't even have the "game" mode turned on for their TV (if they have that option).

#20 Chinese_cuisine   Dim Sum Yum Yum CAGiversary!   471 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Chinese_cuisine

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

Got a 50 inch LG from Fry's last year on black Friday for 199.99

#21 MR_E   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1935 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Got a 50 inch LG from Fry's last year on black Friday for 199.99

Ya...common knowledge that Black Friday is the HD TV sale goldmine...  Anyone who doesn't need a new TV right this minute would easily be better off waiting 4 months for something bigger/better at the same (or lower) price...

#22 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

27ms is considered fast?

what TV?

#23 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

my pc monitor is 5ms and i bought that almost 10 years ago.

Response time and input lag are different

http://www.displayla...-response-time/

Input lag is important to many gamers.  This is an excellent TV for the price point.

OP you might wanna change the thread title you said response time and e'erybody getten confused

#24 ZabaZu  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

Response time and input lag are different

http://www.displayla...-response-time/

OP you might wanna change the thread title you said response time and e'erybody getten confused

Thank you, I was just about to post this.

Guys, response time has to do with pixel response time.  It has nothing to do with input lag.  Think motion blur when you think response time.  The smaller the response time, the less "ghosting" you will get with your pixels.  And even then, you can't trust the numbers they give.  They usually give you the grey-to-grey response time, which is always far lower than black-to-white (and would have been far less noticeable).  The advertising side of displays (primarily TVs) is extremely sketchy.  Almost every number thrown at you is a loophole that makes the lie not technically a lie.

#25 Calamitous Intent  

Calamitous Intent

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:42 PM

I have a hard time believing that 99.9% of people will ever notice a 10ms difference in input lag and an even harder time believing that the shorter lag would actually help improve player performance for them.  Input lag, like a lot of other things, is probably over-exaggerated.  Yes, i'm sure some of you have incredible skill and brain power, so you would be in the .1% and I am not posting this to denigrate anyone.  I'll bet that a lot of gamers don't even have the "game" mode turned on for their TV (if they have that option).

Im glad i didnt say anything about 99.9 percent of people then? Very few game types suffer from input lag issues. Twitch shooters and Fighting games are the major ones. I mainly play fighting games, input lag in addition to things such as online lag can easily screw your execution. If ppl are not smart enough to realize,this is another story. You have thousands of ppl out there playing these type of games on wifi...so it would not shock me in the least if they were clueless about input lag.

#26 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   443 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

what TV?

It was an Olevia 55".

I think the brand has since gone out of business.

But the TV is still in working order. I've had a samsung that died in half the time.

#27 alexgo  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:16 PM

I have a 13" RCA TV from 1991 and PS4 games look great on it. I don't need no stinkin' HDTV.

#28 Chinese_cuisine   Dim Sum Yum Yum CAGiversary!   471 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Chinese_cuisine

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

http://images.frys.c...mail071315#set3

Is OP talking about the first tv on the ad?

#29 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3604 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

Im glad i didnt say anything about 99.9 percent of people then? Very few game types suffer from input lag issues. Twitch shooters and Fighting games are the major ones. I mainly play fighting games, input lag in addition to things such as online lag can easily screw your execution. If ppl are not smart enough to realize,this is another story. You have thousands of ppl out there playing these type of games on wifi...so it would not shock me in the least if they were clueless about input lag.

Correct.  As I said, i'm sure there are a very select few people who can honestly tell and make sure of a 10ms faster display lag (you recommended 17 instead of the 27 for this TV).  My point was that even for twitch shooters and fighting games, the vast majority of people cannot or will not ever have the skill level, etc. that makes display lag a meaningful tool or even a discernable quality.  You essentially said as much at the end of your statement, so I was not necessarily disagreeing with you, just broadening the discussion.

#30 limelight022  

limelight022

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

I have a 13" RCA TV from 1991 and PS4 games look great on it. I don't need no stinkin' HDTV.

pics or gtfo