* * * * - 4 votes

Wind Waker HD (WiiU) - Best Buy $40.99 ($32.XX GCU) Online Only / $38.99 Amazon & Walmart

#31 bgame2   Pure Cag Smoothness CAGiversary!   3548 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Not sure if it's posted elsewhere since the search bar on CAG is horrible.

This could not be more true.  I search for something, it shows a list of results and then it immediately disappears when I try to highlight any of the listed results or scroll down.  Drives me nuts.

#32 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   616 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP. I've been eyeing a used copy, but this is even better.

#33 V878   Let's hug it out CAGiversary!   1007 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

Solid deal. Maybe it'll be a few bucks cheaper than that GCU price for BF but I'd be surprised if it's much lower than that.

#34 McCHitman   Reigning Champ CAGiversary!   300 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

McCHitman

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Snagged it. Ended up being $13 and some change with some reward certs. Thanks for the heads up!

Now...to buy a Wii U

#35 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

I got mine yesterday.  Was the newer version without the gold.  I actually think it looks better... 

Now which to keep...

#36 bruceg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1520 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

So does ordering online for shipping result in the newer blue version?  Guess I'll find out in a couple of days...

#37 Cnstntidnty  

Cnstntidnty

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

Easiest way to get at BB, is what Rick4Life mentioned on the first page.

Price match it in store, on your phone, in the view cart page. Shows $32.79 with GCU
Pick which color you like.

Got a gold one, might buy another to trade in at Gamestop on Monday.

#38 alextastic   keepin' it real. CAGiversary!   1079 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

alextastic

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

Do I seriously have to pretend my gold one is rare now? I was finally about to open it and play it. : (

#39 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8457 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

Do I seriously have to pretend my gold one is rare now? I was finally about to open it and play it. : (

It's just a game. Open it, have fun.

#40 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22543 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

So does ordering online for shipping result in the newer blue version?  Guess I'll find out in a couple of days...

I believe that's all there is left in the wild... the original release seems to have dried up. 

#41 Bri Bot   Same-Store Flipper CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

This could not be more true.  I search for something, it shows a list of results and then it immediately disappears when I try to highlight any of the listed results or scroll down.  Drives me nuts.

After you type something in the search bar, move the cursor down and click on "more results" just below the search bar. Works for me.

#42 Blabadon   I just like video games CAGiversary!   2276 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Way too high a price for a game of its quality.

#43 Nesboy43   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   345 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Nesboy43

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Honestly I still think this looks better on a GC with Component Cables than the HD version.

#44 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3109 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:14 PM

It should be $20 or less at this point.

#45 FissFiss   Meow CAGiversary!   8457 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

You both obviously don't realize what company made it lol

#46 Nesboy43   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   345 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Nesboy43

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

I wonder when we will see Nintendo start implementing "Player's Choice" for Wii U and 3DS.

#47 EdJericho   2.5D Seiyuu Fanboy CAGiversary!   822 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

I wonder how many people that said they didn't like the piss color gold cover art for Wind Waker HD will now change their minds and try to list it as a 1ST EDITION OOP GOLD ZELDA WIND WAKER HD FOR 599 USD on eBay / Craigslist. I've yet to open mine but I honestly like the normal colored version version and wish Nintendo had made it a double sided cover instead.

#48 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2711 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:57 AM

got a digital copy during the Mario kart 8 promo madness. the new blue cover looks way better than the gold release.

Since when has Nintendo done a second release that was different that was not a players choice?

#49 pstriple   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

pstriple

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Honestly I still think this looks better on a GC with Component Cables than the HD version.

I could maybe buy that if one were comparing it to an emulator running the game in 1080p, but comparing the original running on a GCN in 480p via component cables to 1080p in the Wii U remake? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I can't imagine a whole lot of people are going to agree with that. It's been a while since I saw Wind Waker running on a Gamecube, but just looking at the comparison videos on youtube, the much lower resolution and jaggies are pretty apparent on the Gamecube version.

A good game is still a good game of course, but I'd certainly have a tough time going back to the GCN version after seeing how pretty it looks on the Wii U now.

#50 Nesboy43   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   345 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Nesboy43

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:54 AM

I could maybe buy that if one were comparing it to an emulator running the game in 1080p, but comparing the original running on a GCN in 480p via component cables to 1080p in the Wii U remake? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I can't imagine a whole lot of people are going to agree with that. It's been a while since I saw Wind Waker running on a Gamecube, but just looking at the comparison videos on youtube, the much lower resolution and jaggies are pretty apparent on the Gamecube version.

A good game is still a good game of course, but I'd certainly have a tough time going back to the GCN version after seeing how pretty it looks on the Wii U now.

It depends what your set up is. I'm using a Sony PVM (professional broadcast quality CRT) and it looks fantastic on it. Playing Windwaker in 480p on an LCD HDTV will most likely look like garbage.

Windwaker HD had every right to look better, but they wash out all the colors by adding this really strong lighting to the game that has no reason to be there.

#51 pittsnoggle   Lord CAGiversary!   4346 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

pittsnoggle

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

got a digital copy during the Mario kart 8 promo madness. the new blue cover looks way better than the gold release.

Since when has Nintendo done a second release that was different that was not a players choice?

mario kart ds had a second release with a red case

#52 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:16 AM

mario kart ds had a second release with a red case

Yeah and it looked dumb.  I'm glad I had an extra black case for mine =)

#53 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:19 AM

I wonder when we will see Nintendo start implementing "Player's Choice" for Wii U and 3DS.

3DS yes, but Wii U games def haven't sold enough for that lol they're great games but don't get much in sales.

I suggest buying all the top first party Wii U games when they clearance them.  I have a feeling in 5-10 years these games will be high in demand when people realize how good they are (much like the current GC resurgence).  Not to sell (games are generally a poor form of investment--buy to play!), but because you may wish you got them before the prices shot up.

#54 latin trident   Banned Banned   935 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

latin trident

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

snagged it on Amazon since my Best Buy didn't have any in stock. Thanks OP

#55 pstriple   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

pstriple

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:11 AM

It depends what your set up is. I'm using a Sony PVM (professional broadcast quality CRT) and it looks fantastic on it. Playing Windwaker in 480p on an LCD HDTV will most likely look like garbage.

Windwaker HD had every right to look better, but they wash out all the colors by adding this really strong lighting to the game that has no reason to be there.

Sure. I can buy that it can look better on that type of Television set (if I recall correctly, the Sony PVM is the ideal TV for retro/SD resolution games). Though aren't those PVM sets relatively rare nowadays as CRT displays get more and more sparse?  Personally I disagree that the colors truly look washed out by the lighting system in WW HD, but I respect that's a fairly subjective point.

If you own a PVM set, awesome, but I'm guessing for the vast majority of gamers nowadays who only have a newer TV set that's only primed for HD content, that GCN version is going to look vastly inferior, with or without component cables (as you mentioned). I only bring this up as your initial post seemed to imply that most people just need to locate a GCN and component cables (are these still super rare?) and they'll get a better looking game, but it seems most probably lack the TV to truly take advantage of that.

#56 bruceg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1520 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:25 AM

Yeah, I wish I hadn't sold my gamecube component cable since it apparently fetches at least a couple hundred now on Ebay.  Anyways the copy that I ordered online from bestbuy.com came in and it is still the older gold cover.

#57 Nesboy43   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   345 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Nesboy43

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

Sure. I can buy that it can look better on that type of Television set (if I recall correctly, the Sony PVM is the ideal TV for retro/SD resolution games). Though aren't those PVM sets relatively rare nowadays as CRT displays get more and more sparse?  Personally I disagree that the colors truly look washed out by the lighting system in WW HD, but I respect that's a fairly subjective point.

If you own a PVM set, awesome, but I'm guessing for the vast majority of gamers nowadays who only have a newer TV set that's only primed for HD content, that GCN version is going to look vastly inferior, with or without component cables (as you mentioned). I only bring this up as your initial post seemed to imply that most people just need to locate a GCN and component cables (are these still super rare?) and they'll get a better looking game, but it seems most probably lack the TV to truly take advantage of that.

Yes component cables are rare and PVMs are rare. I never implied either was cheap, but just saying that it looks better this way too me. That being said, the draw distance is pretty short on the GC as well. I'm torn because the gameplay enhancements they made seem like such a better experience, yet they had to apply that ugly lighting effect across the whole game.

#58 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

Probably never. They never did one for DS and we only ever got one small wave of Nintendo Selects. To make matters worse Nintendo is printing fewer and fewer physical copies to focus on pushing games digitally. Several Wii U games are already out of print.

#59 Retroxcellance   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Retroxcellance

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I wish I hadn't sold my gamecube component cable since it apparently fetches at least a couple hundred now on Ebay.  Anyways the copy that I ordered online from bestbuy.com came in and it is still the older gold cover.

I received my Windwaker HD yesterday and it the newer, multicolored version.  I guess it depends what warehouse shipped it out. Mine came from Syracuse, NY

#60 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2273 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

I went to the store and they had two copies, one of each. Got the gold. 

This game was haunting me for a while. Told myself I wasnt going to buy it, but I kept thinking about that cover and the crisp HD graphics.