Xbox 360 & External Hard Drive Headaches

j7d7c7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I hope this is the right place to post. If not, hopefully someone can help me anyway. I've spent countless hours scouring the internets for a solution and with tech support (Xbox 360, Xbox Twitter, & Seagate. Even tried Reddit and Amazon forums) and can't get a solution.

I bought this 2tb Seagate expansion EHD
(http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-3-5-Inch-External-STBV2000100/dp/B00834SJS0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1437745014&sr=8-14&keywords=seagate+2tb+external+hard+drive+usb+3.0)

to use with my Xbox 360 when the update for EHD support rolled out. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work (full formatting to FAT32 on PC first, different USB ports/cables, tech support, etc) but it just won't cooperate & work. When I try formatting on the 360 it says "can't perform that action".

After spending hours scouring the internets for a solution and on the phone with Seagate & Xbox and getting nothing useful from them, I decided to try a Western Digital HD. I bought this one

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3RH5W2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1437627605&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=wd+2tb+external+hard+drive&dpPl=1&dpID=31aGPVAPJmL&ref=plSrch)

brand new and it did the exact same thing as the Seagate.

Both of these EHD's are desktop/outlet powered. I tried a 500gb (which is too small) WD portable/usb powered HD and it worked (games would store and launch properly from that drive).

I've tried the 2tb drives on 2 different Xbox 360's and the same thing. The 360 console will not format the drives regardless of what file system they have when I plug them in. The "tech support" has been a joke and all of them are clueless. The only thing I can think might be an issue is using the correct allocation unit size when formatting but I've just used defaults so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone have any idea why these Seagate & WD 2tb EHD's won't work for me or what I can do to get them to work? Am I doing something wrong? This is driving me mad!!! Thanks for any help you can offer me and I posted this out of desperation because i can't find an answer to this anywhere.

Hook it up to your computer and run Disk Management (right-click Computer->Manage->Disk Management) and make sure there's no hidden partitions or whatnot that may be interfering.

I own the 4TB version of that WD drive on my X1 and it works flawlessly.  The 2TB version, the same drive you link above, is on my Wii U, also working without issue.

All I did on either system is plug it in right out of the box and let the system handle partitioning and formatting.

I don't have that specific drive on my X360 though I have a Passport Ultra 2TB and it's been working like a champ on my X360.

As WSB suggested, connect the drive up to your PC and see if there are any hidden partitions on the drive.  I would blow away any partitions on the drive and then reconnect it to your X360 and see if that fixes it.

Also, are you using the same USB port every time or have you tried different ones across both 360?  My Passport Ultra drive is connected to one of the rear USB ports and that's directly off of the system board and not on the front panel header.

You could also downloading the most current X360 update, burn it to a CD and try to reupdate the X360 with the update CD.  Also works on USB flash drive, I think. 

Yeah I've tried all that (e.g. Different USB ports, disk management, etc). There's no extra partitions on the drives. I've formatted it about 30 different times, deleted and added volumes, tried using it unallocated, RAW, NTFS, fat32, ex fat, fat16, etc. It just won't freaking work right.

I bought a portable 2tb WD drive tonight just to try it out & it worked with no issues. I plugged it into the 360 right out of the box and was able to format it from the 360. Played a couple games from the drive w/out any errors. I'm starting to think the Xbox 360 won't work with or has issues with desktop/electrical outlet powered external drives and/or it won't work with 7200rpm drives. I too tried the Seagate 2tb external desktop on my Xbox One and it worked fine so I know there's nothing wrong with the drives.

I'd have thought the opposite with the USB-powered drive being the issue versus an AC-powered drive being no issue.

Glad to hear it now seems to be working, though just not the way you expected it to work out.

bread's done
Back