Metroid Prime Trilogy used $39.99/$35.99 (w/PUR) @ GameStop / OOS ONLINE

LonelyBacteria

CAGiversary!
http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/metroid-prime-trilogy/74982

Doesn't say online only, in store they're doing B2G1 free on Wii/regular DS, (I assume interchangable)

Base trade in is $10 so don't even think about it

OOS-Online as of now, but if it comes back:

Stacked all 3 coupons! $32.35 total after tax and free shipping! (PUR 10% off automatically, used code CAG16 for 16% off Used Games, and used code SAVER for free shipping.) Thanks OP!

Other finds, not by me (might be too much to change the title to include these)

One Piece Unlimited Adventure $39.99/35.99 PUR - http://gamestop.com/Catalog/Product/5618

Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkachi 3 $44.99/40.49 PUR -
http://gamestop.com/Catalog/Product/7882

Both in stock online as of this comment being posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you buy three and trade them all in and then buy one with the credit, it's like getting it for free!

Stacked all 3 coupons! $32.35 total after tax and free shipping! (PUR 10% off automatically, used code CAG16 for 16% off Used Games, and used code SAVER for free shipping.) Thanks OP!

Two things:
1) I've seen many copies of this, may have seen one metal case
2) I believe these are 'reprints', I don't really know about these but if they are they wouldn't reprint the metal case/etc.
yea GameStop reprinted this quite a while back and the reprint was done in a regular white wii case

Since the game is available for $20 (or $10 when it was first available) this does not surprise me. If only Nintendo released the Fire Emblem games digitally.

Gamestop reprinted MPT about a year ago and overestimated the demand for the game. Every store in my area had one or two copies perpetually sitting on the Wii shelves. Maybe the price drop will finally clear out the stock, but it still isn't a great price. You can currently grab a steelcase 1st print for $10-20 more off ebay.

Gamestop reprinted MPT about a year ago and overestimated the demand for the game.
That's an understatement; out of the 60+ stores in Arizona, only four or five stores don't have a copy collecting dust. Yesterday I was at a GS where I saw the steelbook with the artbook and manual. I almost picked it up but dropped it since I already have it on my Wii U and haven't even started it. Plus the resell/trade value is less than meh and even if you picked up two $40 games and one free that averages out to about $27 a game. While that's good, there's other stuff to be had for me so why bother?

Oh and if any of you CAGs in Phoenix want to know where the steelbook is, drop me a PM...it's just so the lurkers won't swipe it from underneath us.

The first print one is actually worth alot on amazon. Ebay yeah you can find a better deal on it if you grab it through auction.  I picked up a first print complete with steelcase+ slipcover at my local game store for 39.99 and I don't regret it one bit since you can't find one cheaper any where else unless you get lucky by finding it at some pawn shop or garage sell.

The first print one is actually worth alot on amazon. Ebay yeah you can find a better deal on it if you grab it through auction. I picked up a first print complete with steelcase at my local game store for 39.99 and I don't regret it one bit since you can't find one cheaper any where else unless you get lucky by finding it at some pawn shop or garage sell.
Does the reprint play any differently from the 1st print?

Chances of finding metal case in store?
When they first made the reprint, sold it for $39.99, and had a b2g1 free I bought a couple of copies. I then eventually found a steel case in the store (complete with slipcover) which I promptly bought and then returned one of the reprints in its place. It took a few months to find one, and I have like 12 Gamestops where I live. I have yet to find another so I can do the same again and then sell for total cost coverage.

I have three steelbooks and and one that is complete with the slipcover
43246f027e50e3a442613224cad6276e.jpg

I've pondered picking this up but just don't see any point anymore.  I have the first two on my gamecube, and bought the third on the Wii.  Sure, the Wii controls may add some extra engagement but frankly I find having to hold up the Wii-Mote tiring after a few hours ... I actually prefer the gamecube control.  Seeing as the trilogy adds nothing else, what's the point?

And agree, there are a lot of better\other AAA games one can pick up with $35-40.

I bought this from Amazon a few months ago. It was also $39.99. No promo codes to stack and I had to pay tax, but I got the steelbook, so it was worth it. I am also now out of Gamestop credit and still have quite a bit of Amazon funbucks.

It was a really scummy thing Gamestop did. They did it with both this and Xenoblade. They saw the demand for used copies and hiked up the prices in store for their own used copies...and then they quietly repirinted more and sold them as used, despite being reprints. Neither game is worth anything to me anymore. Absolute bullshit. That's why I haven't given Gamestop much business since. It really disgusted me. 

It was a really scummy thing Gamestop did. They did it with both this and Xenoblade. They saw the demand for used copies and hiked up the prices in store for their own used copies...and then they quietly repirinted more and sold them as used, despite being reprints. Neither game is worth anything to me anymore. Absolute bullshit. That's why I haven't given Gamestop much business since. It really disgusted me.
I'm not going to do what i want to and type out all the specific events that happened to me as to why i hate GameStop. Instead I'll just mention the one from today:

B2G1 on wii games,

Get a free $2 game,

It'll cost me $4 for the resurfacing it needs.

If I take it back they'll blame me

This is not at all how this works. If you want to blame some one it has to be Nintendo, as they own the rights to those games and sold the ability to make more of them to Gamestop. GS is overall a fairly shitty company, but they take too much blame for these reprints. Nintendo allowed this to happen, and it is their job to protect their intellectual property, not Gamestop's.

Since this is the much less valuable reprint if you just want to play it the game is on the eShop for Wii U.

This is not at all how this works. If you want to blame some one it has to be Nintendo, as they own the rights to those games and sold the ability to make more of them to Gamestop. GS is overall a fairly shitty company, but they take too much blame for these reprints. Nintendo allowed this to happen, and it is their job to protect their intellectual property, not Gamestop's.
Fair enough, but it was entirely gamestops decision to sell it for more than a new game would have cost, as a used game. Nintendo may have been responsible for the actual reprinting process - something I would have been entirely OK with, but I'm sure it was a Gamestop representative that decided to sell new, reprinted games as "used" games to take advantage of their previous scarcity.

Fair enough, but it was entirely gamestops decision to sell it for more than a new game would have cost, as a used game. Nintendo may have been responsible for the actual reprinting process - something I would have been entirely OK with, but I'm sure it was a Gamestop representative that decided to sell new, reprinted games as "used" games to take advantage of their previous scarcity.

Exactly, Nintendo wanted to make more money on their product in a market that obviously wanted it.

Selling them as new would've devalued it because then people would realize there are more out there/it's easier to find. So Gamestop sells them as used to artificially preserve it's rarity and thus it's price.

Well, Metroid Trilogy isn't worth much also because they made it available digital for $20 ($10 the first week). The disc has value pretty much only to collectors now, and now with reprints that value is gone, too. It is always a risk when you buy recent games as collectibles that you will get reprints.

Should be the same files-on-disc wise. Only difference I've heard is that the box will say something like copyright gamestop 20xx for when the reprint was done
Im sure I have a reprint as I do not have a steelbox but nowhere on the box, instructions ,or disk does it indicate gamestop 20xx in any way. Is there another way to tell?

Oisterboy said:
I'm sorry, as much as I have my issues with GameStop, THIS is not one of them. I'm all for limited games getting reprints so more people can enjoy them. This game was being pimped like crazy on ebay when it was scarce so GameStop selling reprints for retail cost was a great deal.

The only ones bitching about this are the sharks who wanted to keep fleecing gamers.

You're getting no empathy from me.

I hope GameStop gets into the business of reprinting more games. There is a vast library of great games that could be reprinted.

Im sure I have a reprint as I do not have a steelbox but nowhere on the box, instructions ,or disk does it indicate gamestop 20xx in any way. Is there another way to tell?
yes the simplest way which is that anything without steel book is reprint
Yea I checked one and didn't see anything, and I was going off of info I thought I read months ago.

And yes, I didn't think of the fact that steelbook is original print, plain case is reprint.

Since there is no difference other than the outer box why are people getting so uppity about the steelbox vs no steelbox? Unless you are a reseller of course. 

I'm sorry, as much as I have my issues with GameStop, THIS is not one of them. I'm all for limited games getting reprints so more people can enjoy them. This game was being pimped like crazy on ebay when it was scarce so GameStop selling reprints for retail cost was a great deal.

The only ones bitching about this are the sharks who wanted to keep fleecing gamers.

You're getting no empathy from me.

I hope GameStop gets into the business of reprinting more games. There is a vast library of great games that could be reprinted.
But gamestop was selling them for ebay prices when they reprinted...THAT'S what I have issue with. I don't care that they reprinted. I'm all for it. I want everyone to have everything they want for their collection. I just think it was crappy that they saw a market for an uncommon game and printed more and then sold them for more than their original price. It's crappy enough when resellers do that (amiibo anyone?) but when a store gets in on flipping games they have the ability to make more of...well, that's crappy.

But whatever tho, really. I hope someone out there looking for this cops one and gets a good deal on it. Just not for me is all :)

It would be best if Nintendo released all their back catalog digitally so that people that just want to play the games can do so. And the collectors would be happy as it wouldn't devalue their collection.

It would be best if Nintendo released all their back catalog digitally so that people that just want to play the games can do so. And the collectors would be happy as it wouldn't devalue their collection.
I've always thought of a machine that could reprint discs on an individual level would be awesome like those dog tag machines but for games. Everything's gonna go digital eventually and we have to deal with it, unless we all said no which is totally gonna happen.

Considering that people care about the color of their system/controller/external HDD I don't feel weird about really prefering physical. Mostly because I don't want to end up with licenses to games and no servers to redownload from

Since there is no difference other than the outer box why are people getting so uppity about the steelbox vs no steelbox? Unless you are a reseller of course.
Well, if you are going to the trouble of buying physical with it, you probably want the best packaging. The digital version is cheaper by almost half and runs directly from the WiiU menu, so the only reason to go physical is because you want something nice on your shelf or want to scalp it - but the value isn't what it once was given the reprints and digital versions.

I think people are forgetting that a physcial wii game still runs on a wii system.

I get that y'all are hip happenen kiddos with your new fangled Wii You systems and your digital "gotta go fast" lifestyles but some people want the actual game instead of the license on your nintendo account. Debating wanting to buy it or not doesn't really have any purpose.

Value to you and value to others are different things.

I think people are forgetting that a physcial wii game still runs on a wii system.

I get that y'all are hip happenen kiddos with your new fangled Wii You systems and your digital "gotta go fast" lifestyles but some people want the actual game instead of the license on your nintendo account. Debating wanting to buy it or not doesn't really have any purpose.

Value to you and value to others are different things.
Wasn't really debating that, but just pointing out those that "just want to play" have a digital option. People that want to play and have something on their shelves want the steelbook, since it looks much nicer.

There is a gap in those that just have a Wii, that might like the physical but don't care about the steelbook, but I doubt there are many of them. They now have a Gamestop reprint option.

Well, if you are going to the trouble of buying physical with it, you probably want the best packaging. The digital version is cheaper by almost half and runs directly from the WiiU menu, so the only reason to go physical is because you want something nice on your shelf or want to scalp it - but the value isn't what it once was given the reprints and digital versions.
Another issue though is that nobody wants Nintendo's digital games because there's no account system in place. I don't even have a Nintendo account and any eShop points I ever got on the cheap I sold because they're useless to me until Nintendo gets its head out of its ass and has a decent online system.

But gamestop was selling them for ebay prices when they reprinted...THAT'S what I have issue with. I don't care that they reprinted. I'm all for it. I want everyone to have everything they want for their collection. I just think it was crappy that they saw a market for an uncommon game and printed more and then sold them for more than their original price. It's crappy enough when resellers do that (amiibo anyone?) but when a store gets in on flipping games they have the ability to make more of...well, that's crappy.

But whatever tho, really. I hope someone out there looking for this cops one and gets a good deal on it. Just not for me is all :)
They were selling it for $20-40 less than Ebay prices. What was that other game they reprinted at the same time, Xenoblade? That was also well under what resellers were looking for. The reprints helped drive the prices down to manageable levels.

Let's not try to make sense of gamestop alright?

I got $60 trade in credit for games that came out a month ago and xenoblade on the wii

Another issue though is that nobody wants Nintendo's digital games because there's no account system in place. I don't even have a Nintendo account and any eShop points I ever got on the cheap I sold because they're useless to me until Nintendo gets its head out of its ass and has a decent online system.
Don't be overly dramatic. They do have an account system, but it is tied to a console. Not great, but it is what it is. You can get them to untie it pretty easily, I had traded in my youngest son's DS with my account attached for a New 3DS and called them. They had no problem releasing it so I could reattach to our New 3DS. That doesn't make it useless, just inconvenient. But seriously, how often do you want to change consoles? Is the main problem because you want to buy the game once and use it multiple consoles? Because if that's the case, you must understand why they don't want that.

I'd love it if they went the content tied to an account instead of console route. I hope that's what they have in mind for the future. But don't act like the current system is unusable or useless. You could have gotten Metroid Trilogy for $10 when it first hit the eShop with those "useless" eShop credits instead of paying $40 for a reprint disc now.

Don't be overly dramatic. They do have an account system, but it is tied to a console. Not great, but it is what it is. You can get them to untie it pretty easily, I had traded in my youngest son's DS with my account attached for a New 3DS and called them. They had no problem releasing it so I could reattach to our New 3DS. That doesn't make it useless, just inconvenient. But seriously, how often do you want to change consoles? Is the main problem because you want to buy the game once and use it multiple consoles? Because if that's the case, you must understand why they don't want that.

I'd love it if they went the content tied to an account instead of console route. I hope that's what they have in mind for the future. But don't act like the current system is unusable or useless. You could have gotten Metroid Trilogy for $10 when it first hit the eShop with those "useless" eShop credits instead of paying $40 for a reprint disc now.
Just to clarify, the games are tied to an account not the system. The account is tied to the system. At the end it acts the same but it would be an easy fix for Nintendo to change their account management.

Since the game is available for $20 (or $10 when it was first available) this does not surprise me. If only Nintendo released the Fire Emblem games digitally.
The 2 GBA games are available digitally on Wii U & of course Awakening is digital on 3DS, but man it would be awesome to have access to the GameCube game w/o having to pay $100.

Since the DS/Wii ones aren't very good I'm OK with not owning those as I have both GBA games digitally & a physical 3DS copy.

bread's done
Back