Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide (LIMITED RUN) $24 (MSRP $40); Prime eligible

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
Fellow CAGers!

If you're like me you collect or enjoy purchasing certain strategy books/guides. 

Well, Bethesda is printing a limited run survival guide for Fallout 4. It is a hardcover and everything. Looks neat. I'm getting one. 

THIS GUIDE IS 400+ PAGES

Original price is $40

On sale via Amazon for $24.11 (Prime eligible)

Releases same day as game 

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Dwellers-Survival-Collectors-Edition/dp/0744016312

Polygon story 

Update: 

Looks like it comes with a free mobile e-guide that will be updated whenever the game gets new content or if it gets patched. Also seeing the guide includes "exclusive" content not found in the game. 

There is also an Art of Fallout Guide.  It is $35. 

41C6xl5RjtL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I love Fallout but don't care for strategy guides, this will make a good gift to my Fallout-loving friends. Ordered!

I don't see this selling out. 

By the way, to anyone looking to just collect Fallout stuff, arcade block is going to have an exclusive Fallout item in their next package apparently, so some of you may want to check that out. 

Sweet I through it in as random filler to get free shipping on Palutena when it was 35, so this makes it even better thanks to their price match policy!

its interesting to see the marketing strategy these days. The companies warn us that it is a limited one time print so we rush out and secure our copy. I feel like such a sheep
Pretty much. Which is why I always assume that the more they advertise something as limited, the more unlikely it is to be limited.

They know Fallout is popular and they know they'll be able to sell tons of these.

Somewhat related. 

Bethesda Can't Make Anymore Pipboy Editions, 100% Sold Out 

Side note, you don't have to buy this because it might sell out. You buy it because it is 400+ pages of awesomeness. I get guides for all the art and stats, so I'm likely going to love this thing.

Additional side notes ... 

Final Fantasy 12 CE has to be the best guide I've ever used. Also have Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and several Fire Emblem guides (which are terrible but have awesome art). 

The worst guide I own is also the most famous worst guide: Final Fantasy 9. It is terrible because it forces you to go online (now a defunct website) to get the full scope. Thanks Sony! 

Ironically, I just found my Fallout 3 CE Guide while cleaning. I opened it when I picked it up on release and looked through it, maybe, once. I just threw it on eBay and sold it within a few hours.

Must be hot off the heels of Fallout 4. I'll take a pass on this.

Got a bunch of CE guides, had a gift card from a rock band guitar trade in, needed sometime to add to my order for a glow in the dark Yellowjacket Pop! vinyl so what the hell! In for one.

Pre-ordered it, but not sure I want the guide. I like the look of it and the fact that it's limited made me decide to pre-order it just in case. If there is a game I would actually want to have a guide for it's most certainly a Bethesda one. 

Once reseller scum get wind of this it will be sold out, likely so they can package it with their sold out Pipboy's. 

Then, when they realize the market isn't 100% there, they will cancel their orders and it will become available again. 

Over time, all copies will eventually be snagged and you will see the price inflate on eBay. 

Certain guides become collectible, not many do, but certain ones eventually fetch a high price. I know this because I collect guides alongside some of my games. 

Side note - 

Can we make a "reseller scum" mascot? Who here is an artist? 

By the way, to anyone looking to just collect Fallout stuff, arcade block is going to have an exclusive Fallout item in their next package apparently, so some of you may want to check that out.
Where did you read this? I'd never heard of arcade block until your post and it looks pretty cool.

Where did you read this? I'd never heard of arcade block until your post and it looks pretty cool.
Arcade Block is party of Nerd Block which is the standard general geek box they send out each month. They also have a Nerd Block for kids and a Horror themed box called Horror Block. I've had Arcade Block in the past and really loved it, everything they sent for the two months I tried it out was great, you always get a T-Shirt and the items generally IMO are of a higher quality than what you get with Loot Crate. I recommend Arcade Block and will likely resubscribe myself for the Fallout box. I recommend looking up some un-boxing videos on YouTube to get an idea of what to expect.

Be forewarned, Prima says this exact same "limited" phrase on many of their guides that have been out for a while and are still for sale on Amazon. So, if you are buying due to them saying it's limited... just know they say that a lot.

I'd love to know what "limited" means as well. 50,000? 100,000? 500,000? Is "limited" relative to demand? Who knows. They stated it was limited before even putting it on sale without knowing demand. So just remember, it's marketing trickery. 

I ordered it anyway. But I just wanted others to know this is a very common marketing strategy Prima uses on their guides and many are still easily obtainable.

Majora's Mask Guide (still thousands available):

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Guide includes: 

Collector’s Edition Exclusive— Reusable clings featuring art from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D. 

Save The World— Fully detailed walkthrough shows how to solve each puzzle, defeat each boss, and finish the game with 100% Completion. 

Find Your Way— Never get lost with our labeled maps that show each collectible and point of interest. 

Legendary Checklists— Find it all with checklists that reveal the locations for each piece of heart, mask, fish, and more. 

Beat The Baddies— Detailed monsters and enemies section shows how to defeat each minion and boss. 

FREE Mobile Version— Full Digital Guide and more at Official Game Guide www.primagames.com

This limited edition guide will only be printed once, when it is sold out they will be gone forever! 

However, the price is fantastic. So, yea, buy it.

Be forewarned, Prima says this exact same "limited" phrase on many of their guides that have been out for a while and are still for sale on Amazon. So, if you are buying due to them saying it's limited... just know they say that a lot.

I'd love to know what "limited" means as well. 50,000? 100,000? 500,000? Is "limited" relative to demand? Who knows. They stated it was limited before even putting it on sale without knowing demand. So just remember, it's marketing trickery.

I ordered it anyway. But I just wanted others to know this is a very common marketing strategy Prima uses on their guides and many are still easily obtainable.

Majora's Mask Guide (still thousands available):

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Guide includes:

Collector’s Edition Exclusive— Reusable clings featuring art from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D.

Save The World— Fully detailed walkthrough shows how to solve each puzzle, defeat each boss, and finish the game with 100% Completion.

Find Your Way— Never get lost with our labeled maps that show each collectible and point of interest.

Legendary Checklists— Find it all with checklists that reveal the locations for each piece of heart, mask, fish, and more.

Beat The Baddies— Detailed monsters and enemies section shows how to defeat each minion and boss.

FREE Mobile Version— Full Digital Guide and more at Official Game Guide www.primagames.com

This limited edition guide will only be printed once, when it is sold out they will be gone forever!

However, the price is fantastic. So, yea, buy it.
Its not the guides of the 90s, prima games will keep printing as long as we are buying.

I get emails from them and it said in the email. I'm considering getting it. I took a look at it few and it seems much better than lootcrate (if you know about them, they're more popular). It'll probably be a figure of some sort. Maybe an exclusive Funko toy or something, who knows. Or a shirt.

Ah f it. Take my money Amazon. I already have Fallout 4 Pip Boy Edition and the Fallout Anthology pre-ordered from Best Buy. This will be the fall of Fallout.

Arcade Block is party of Nerd Block which is the standard general geek box they send out each month. They also have a Nerd Block for kids and a Horror themed box called Horror Block. I've had Arcade Block in the past and really loved it, everything they sent for the two months I tried it out was great, you always get a T-Shirt and the items generally IMO are of a higher quality than what you get with Loot Crate. I recommend Arcade Block and will likely resubscribe myself for the Fallout box. I recommend looking up some un-boxing videos on YouTube to get an idea of what to expect.
Personally a fan of 1UP box cause I'm a sucker for t-shirts, which is why i hate Loot Crate months that don't have a t-shirt. I definitely need to check out Nerd Block then if they have a guaranteed shirt.

If you're interested in this guide, Amazon will be the vendor to have it for the cheapest.  BB and GS will be MSRP, only offering a possible discount when you buy the game + guide on the same transaction.

Barnes and Noble might also carry this and might be as cheap as Amazon, though their inventory on a guide like this can be spotty at best.

Having ordered CE guides from Amazon over numerous years, Amazon may not have any stock post-release and pre-ordering might be your only chance to get one.    Some guides have dropped in price, though owning both Fallout 3 and Fallour 3 GOTY guides, they have not decreased in price post-release, they have only increased.

Fallout 3 GOTY CE guide on Amazon, $80+ used, $152+ new: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0307466582/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Fallout 3 CE guide on Amazon, $32+ used, $79+ new: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0761559973/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

bread's done
Back