Windows 10!

My shot is ugly

CAG Newbie
So a little pop up on the lower right hand portion of the screen on my laptop appeared saying I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. So I am in the process of the download and it's pretty big! I was wondering does anyone have any hands on experience with Windows 10? What's your opinion of it? Also what are the Pros/Cons of it? 

My father in law lost his sound on his Dell from mid 2011. Conexant HD Audio.  No windows 10 driver.  He is not a PC guy and is losing his mind.  Driver issues seem to be the biggest problem I see. 

My father in law lost his sound on his Dell from mid 2011. Conexant HD Audio. No windows 10 driver. He is not a PC guy and is losing his mind. Driver issues seem to be the biggest problem I see.
This is mainly why I'm waiting. Creative is taking their slow ass time and doesn't plan on releasing drivers for my sound card until October.

I've had 8 co-workers complain of various issues. They now want me to take a look @ their laptops $$$$$$ and put the version of Linux that we use @ the job on them.

Beside drivers issues there have also been file hidden/lost issues. On a co-workers Asus X250T Laptop, her documents are not showing up in the windows explorer but they do show up in the programs she uses. 

I've had 8 co-workers complain of various issues. They now want me to take a look @ their laptops $$$$$$ and put the version of Linux that we use @ the job on them.

Beside drivers issues there have also been file hidden/lost issues. On a co-workers Asus X250T Laptop, her documents are not showing up in the windows explorer but they do show up in the programs she uses.
I'll say it now and I'll always say it....people who do not back up their documents deserve to lose them. Seriously, if you are doing an upgrade and have not backed up anything that you cannot lose, you roll the dice.

I installed for the heck of it and backed up my documents on a external hard drive. But I have noticed my computer lags and I have 16 gigs of RAM so I'm sort of confused as to why it's lagging. Hopefully they fix the things that are rough around the edges!

I'll say it now and I'll always say it....people who do not back up their documents deserve to lose them. Seriously, if you are doing an upgrade and have not backed up anything that you cannot lose, you roll the dice.
True and I agree in every way. The issue with this particular person's tech issue is that even their backed up files are not working unless they rename them.

So when I go to their download folder - there are no files present. When I open up Microsoft Word 2010 or Microsoft Word Online - I can see all of the files in the download folder that are suppose to be there.

When she takes her back up and copy and paste them into the folder - the files do not show up - UNLESS we rename them. Even though they are there.

Very odd. Anyhow, this person wants me to install Linux Mint 17.

True and I agree in every way. The issue with this particular person's tech issue is that even their backed up files are not working unless they rename them.

So when I go to their download folder - there are no files present. When I open up Microsoft Word 2010 or Microsoft Word Online - I can see all of the files in the download folder that are suppose to be there.

When she takes her back up and copy and paste them into the folder - the files do not show up - UNLESS we rename them. Even though they are there.

I'm not very familiar with how to switch OS's but if I were to switch to linux. How would I go apon actually switching the OS? once it's installed would it kind of go through the steps with me as to how to switch? Or is there a big long complicated process?

I'm not very familiar with how to switch OS's but if I were to switch to linux. How would I go apon actually switching the OS? once it's installed would it kind of go through the steps with me as to how to switch? Or is there a big long complicated process?
If you go with a popular distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint (or flavors of them) their install process is very easy. It walks you through the steps like if you were installing Windows XP (that's my last reference with Windows).

You should try their liveCD options - You can burn a copy of the OS to a CD/DVD or thumb drive - You can then boot up to the device - NOT INSTALLING - and just play with it.

Currently, I use Linux Mint 17 XFCE (great for beginners), Lubuntu 14.04 (great for beginners) and CrunchBang++(not for beginners).

http://www.linuxmint.com/ <- If you want fancy visuals - Go for Linux Mint Cinnamon.

That is strange. I'm waiting at least until the fall before I do my first upgrade and it will be one of my machines....I dare not do my wife's or son's system first. That's why I have 3 for me and 1 for each of them. I can break one of mine and still be fine.

I upgraded from Windows 7, and it told me my Windows product key could not be verified. Seems to be a common problem if you don't upgrade via their stupid taskbar app.

So I clean installed Windows 7, verified activation, downloaded every update possible, and now I have "reserved" a download of Windows 10. Not sure if I should just wait til I'm prompted to download it (days or weeks? sigh) or just use the media installer and hope it verifies my product key this time around.

While I used it the last couple of days, it ran very smooth. I liked the look and how streamlined things have become.

I had to re-download my Windows 7 drivers, which worked just fine with Windows 10. So those of you having driver issues, just google your computer's model number and "drivers" in the search and it should lead you to an official (or not so official) download.

Edit: Updated via the installer. I guess once you get the reserved notification then you can update via the installer without activation issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgraded to 10 from Windows 7, which took about an hour & 1/2 from the downloading it to installing it.   Liked the interface, although I think that they added some unnecessary crap like Candy Crush Saga with the install.

However downgraded back to Windows 7 a few days after(for anyone that wants to, you have a 1 month window to downgrade afer install).  As I had trouble with wifi having issues.  From it not detecting my wifi, not saving the password to just randomly disconnecting and not recognizing the wifi adapter. 

I might reinstall before the 1 year offer expires, if the bugs are fixed.  But right now, I'll stick with the older, more reliable OS that I don't have problems with.

Upgraded to 10 from Windows 7, which took about an hour & 1/2 from the downloading it to installing it. Liked the interface, although I think that they added some unnecessary crap like Candy Crush Saga with the install.

However downgraded back to Windows 7 a few days after(for anyone that wants to, you have a 1 month window to downgrade afer install). As I had trouble with wifi having issues. From it not detecting my wifi, not saving the password to just randomly disconnecting and not recognizing the wifi adapter.

I might reinstall before the 1 year offer expires, if the bugs are fixed. But right now, I'll stick with the older, more reliable OS that I don't have problems with.
My wifi wasn't being detected either, but it's because I needed the driver. Did you download & install the driver?

I have a USB wifi adapter/dongle that I have as a backup ($10 or less from amazon) for situations like this, because I'm too lazy to plug an ethernet cable in.

My wifi wasn't being detected either, but it's because I needed the driver. Did you download & install the driver?

I have a USB wifi adapter/dongle that I have as a backup ($10 or less from amazon) for situations like this, because I'm too lazy to plug an ethernet cable in.
Yep, reinstalled the driver and still didn't fix it. USB wifi adapter is what I use(Netgear brand). As I have my desktop in another room than the modem & router(which are using the ethernet connections for gaming consoles in that other room).

It might just be that the manufacturer hasn't issued a updated driver to support Windows 10. But I'll just wait and see, as I'm noticing that my connection isn't hiccuping since switching back to Windows 7.

Yep, reinstalled the driver and still didn't fix it. USB wifi adapter is what I use(Netgear brand). As I have my desktop in another room than the modem & router(which are using the ethernet connections for gaming consoles in that other room).

I might just be that the manufacturer hasn't issued a updated driver to support Windows 10. But I'll just wait and see, as I'm noticing that my connection isn't hiccuping since switch back to Windows 7.
Weird. I used the Win7 drivers on mine (Linksys/Cisco) and it worked fine. Might be worth just throwing down another $10 on a new USB wifi option that works with Windows 10 so you can enjoy it.

It's been a lot smoother as time goes on. Drivers are being updated / becoming more compatible as time goes on.

I'm happy I upgraded.

Thursday to Friday of last week - I helped take Windows 10 off of 56 laptops - HP Stream Notebook PC 13 @ an old age home. Windows 8.1 had given them problems before but still functioned well enough for the participants to use. About 3 months back I donated 2 laptops running a modified Lubuntu 14.04 LTS as part of a try out service.

Their IT team upgraded to Windows 10 and the problems they had on Windows 8.1 magnified - None of their medical tracking software works, Minute Menu (food tracking program) did not function properly in Edge and all of the participants were complaining about not being able to find the programs and images they had before.

Called in - last minute contract - migrated them to our version of Lubuntu that looks and runs like Windows XP - So far all of their programs and sites are working again and now have an order for 25 more laptops with Lubuntu on it.

They gave us a budget - My team and I did it all for 1/3 of what they had budgeted - took us less then 4 hours to get it all done too.  Helped them save money to revitilize their gym.

Tuesday they want to talk to us about implementing Linux for all of their staff machines.

Last edited:
Made the switch a couple days ago once I saw that Creative got their drivers up. After spending about 30 minutes running through and disabling all the ridiculous phone home stuff and going through Powershell and deleting all the garbage on the bloated start menu I'm starting to like it. 

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 laptop and it fixed the touchscreen issues and most of the annoyances with 8.1 for me.  It did add a couple - such as trying to like the Edge browser....but that is hard to do.  Spent two minutes trying to get the thing to connect to a camera over a non-standard port and it just sat there...not knowing WTF to do.  Back to Chrome and its flaws.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd upgrade from Windows 7 yet, but I do not see any issues with going from 8.1 as long as your drivers are supported.

My laptop has free upgrade option, but not sure if I should bother as I am not too comfortable dealing with software upgrades etc (even though I have a "power user" mentality, I get overwhelmed when dealing with technology for some reason)/

I posted a thread earlier for when I was shopping for one, but this is what I ended up getting several weeks ago.

I think I got rid of most of the bloatware aside from some of the ASUS branded stuff. 

I hate the 8.1's "tablet" Start UI.  I didn't mess with the hdd partitions or create a backup (tried to make recovery disk, but message said I need 17GB usb or dvd to make).

I have the desktop load at startup, but still arrive at the Start page as I'm so use to a Start button (my last laptop was Vista -_- I have used Windows 7 for a year at work).

Atm I only play Hearthstone, but plan to try out a few of the games I have gotten codes from (some Kickstarter stuff, steam/etc).

Meeehhhh.... I like the interface and stuff, but i HATE all the automated bullshit. Seriously, how the hell do i disable the automatic updates? I have win 10 on my new laptop and its stupid auto update bullshit has screwed me over several times when i was trying to install my drivers. It decided to download its own and install them as i was trying to manually do my own. Massive pain in the ass

The only option i see is to delay the damn thing. Is there seriously no way to turn off the auto download and instalation of updates? I cant even seem to pick and choose which ones i want

I have an extra win 7 disk laying around, im seriously considering just installing that instead if there really is no way of turning that off

might want to read this. they have made updating p2p with every computer on the internet. If you have a data cap you might want to turn this off since it can use your data to help spread the wealth. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html
wow.. just wow... wtf MS?

I just upgraded my desktop with no issues.  Was a G about it and didn't back shit up.  My shit is still there.  Only issue I've noticed is my internet is a little slower, but it might just be the connection or possibly because my adapter hasn't released Windows 10 drivers yet.  We'll see.  Either way, happy as shit about.  Like it better than 8.  Foxypie out!

I just upgraded my desktop with no issues. Was a G about it and didn't back shit up. My shit is still there. Only issue I've noticed is my internet is a little slower, but it might just be the connection or possibly because my adapter hasn't released Windows 10 drivers yet. We'll see. Either way, happy as shit about. Like it better than 8. Foxypie out!
It's slow because you have other traffic going on behind the scene. I know most of Windows 10 L4D 2, Battlefield and UT Beta tester are bitching about suddent lag spikes during games because of the back and forth on MS's end.

In other news, I converted 3 more ppl to Linux thanks to Windows 10.

The first 2 had video file deletion errors. Put them on Ubuntu with Openshot and got their files back.

Kenshindono - Like you - My cuz from my mother's side had an issue where the driver Windows 10 gave him for his card were shit - visual tears all over the place and Windows 10 would not stop going back to that driver after he changed it. He is on LM Cinnamon now.

Last edited:
If you dont want all that stuff going on, download this.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/anti-beacon-for-windows-10-download.html

Note that it blocks access to the Bing site.
Hmmm, need my Bing bux so I have to pass on that.

So far my only issue is that my onboard audio isn't working. Read up on it and it seems to be an issue with the VIA audio and jack detection so I can't use my regular headphones. I have a gaming headset that has USB connections so I am using that in the meantime until the driver is upgraded, but I can see how that would be an issue for some.

Is Windows 10 pretty stable and compatible with most games at this point? Also, does anyone know if you have to have a legitimate version of 7 or 8 for the free upgrade? I heard you can now use a 7 or 8 key to clean install 10, but not sure if it has to be legit.

My only issue is saints row the third will not run if direct x 10/11 choice is picked at start up and saints row iv will not play correctly, the screen just keeps scrolling up and reappearsee on the bottom in a loop. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Google has not come up with anything for me.

I upgraded. It is alright, I was able to find an application online that makes Windows 10 look almost exactly like Windows 7. After installing that I like it even more, just make sure to disable all that tracking stuff windows enables by default. 

It's meh.....

Get an occasional blue screen when it comes out of hibernation mode....and sometimes shut down acts like reboot as it doesn't want to power off unless I push the power button.

I had 3 family members over for Xmas. 2 Asus  and 1 Dell laptop. The Asus machines had Windows 10 but every time you closed the lid or went to sleep mode - the WiFi would turn off and never come back on unless you did a full reboot. I put them on Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit. So far they are in good hands.

The Dell laptop had a weird issue. Upon leaving any 3D game it would go mosaic for a few moments then the desktop would return but it would be at the resolution of the game the person had open. With no way to reset it because we could not see where to go to edit display resolution. I put this person on Lubuntu and got their games up and running with no problems.

Windows 10 has made this year extremely profitable for me and my family. Here's to 2016!

So a little pop up on the lower right hand portion of the screen on my laptop appeared saying I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free. So I am in the process of the download and it's pretty big! I was wondering does anyone have any hands on experience with Windows 10? What's your opinion of it? Also what are the Pros/Cons of it?
Ive been using Windows 10 ever since it was released for free and before it I was using Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have noticed that when turning on your computer, the boot up is extremely fast.

I have not gotten any problems so far. I feel like its running smoother.

There are a lot of functions on it that I like, like email, notifies you when you computer is running slower than usual, news, cortana etc

You should atleast try it, if you dont like it, there is a button you can press to go back to your previous OS inside settings.

Also dont worry about your files, it will all be there at the same spot you left them.

I upgraded. It is alright, I was able to find an application online that makes Windows 10 look almost exactly like Windows 7. After installing that I like it even more, just make sure to disable all that tracking stuff windows enables by default.
Which ones should I disable? and how?

It's meh.....

Get an occasional blue screen when it comes out of hibernation mode....and sometimes shut down acts like reboot as it doesn't want to power off unless I push the power button.
This is apparently related to "fast boot" in advanced power options? Or at least, disabling that feature "fixed" this issue for me... although why it's broken is still a mystery to me.

bread's done
Back