Pre-Order Now: Star Wars Blu-Ray Steel Books

Roman numeral typo in the ad? "choose an original steelbook for each episode, I-IV"

What about episodes V & VI?

Those are very uninspired and mostly inappropriate covers.  Stormtrooper on Episode V doesn't even make sense, why not Boba Fett at the very least? That seems to fit the theme that they're sort of doing...

Down to $22.49 @ Amazon now.  I can almost guarantee they'll match the $19.99 BBY price by release date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason to buy these if I already own the the I-VI blu-ray collection? Other than wanting the steelbooks.

Really odd artwork choices.   I looooooooove steelbooks, and have no problem double-triple dipping, but except for the Stormtrooper one, they're all boring and thematically, they make sense and don't at the same time.  Star Wars has a ton of great artwork, don't know why they went for these.

If they come with digital copies, I'll buy. Otherwise I'm not rebuying them on blu ray. The digital copies are too expensive still on vudu. 

I haven't bought any of the Star Wars BR's yet. They cost too damn much and this isn't helping. 40 year old movies shouldn't cost $20.

Yoda makes perfect sense for the cover of II. His lightsaber battle was epic and the best part of the movie. Not sure why the storm trooper is on IV though. Either Boba Fett or Han Solo make more sense

Hope they continue the steelbook for the next ones and match the first one's

I'm glad I'm not the only one with Star Wars ADD......  It bothers me, the selection of characters for the steel books.  Boba Fett would have made sense instead of Yoda to make it all villains.  Or, go with all Jedis and include Luke and Obi-Wan.  doesn't matter, I'm not dropping $120 on steel books....., unless they include digital copies.  Then I'll think about it. 

I don't get that personally. Odd choice going all villains then Yoda in the mix. Should have been Jango Fett.
Screw that, make it Count Dooku.

I would have put Boba Fett on Empire Strikes Back though.

Last edited:
The classic movie posters were, and still are, great. Plus it gives a better idea of which movie you're looking at. Like if I see an image of a stormtrooper - that can be like any number of the movies.
It still looks good though

None, whatsoever. And this is coming a person who has every single Star Wars movie release dating back to Laser Disc.
You'll cave. Out of all the people around here, you'd be the one to cave on these, as the collector in you would say that you need them.. ;)

pre ordered new hope, these are the original editions right? I have no interest in seeing the lucas editions
:rofl:

There are only the 'Lucas Editions'...The other ones never existed, in his mind.

So, yes it has the extended Mos Isley approach, Biggs Darklighter extended scenes, Jabba the Hutt and of course, Greedo shoots first.

Best Buy has now lowered them to $16.99 each.  I wonder if they will go lower before release, and by how much if so?

Best Buy has now lowered them to $16.99 each. I wonder if they will go lower before release, and by how much if so?
Nope. If WM is $16.96, $16.99 is as low as Best Buy will go. If WM drops them lower than $16.96, which I doubt, BB and Amazon will likely match.

Is it a bad sign that the price are going down because there's no Digital copies with the steelbook

Last edited:
pre ordered new hope, these are the original editions right? I have no interest in seeing the lucas editions
I have to admit this made me lol. I'm not a big Star Wars guy but even I knew better than that.

Those original cuts have been shredded, burned, and fed to the dogs. The dogs were then promptly put down.

I have to admit this made me lol. I'm not a big Star Wars guy but even I knew better than that.

Those original cuts have been shredded, burned, and fed to the dogs. The dogs were then promptly put down.
as a non hardcore star wars fan...why what is so bad/good about the originals?

The theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy is what the fans want. Georgie Lucas made a bunch of dumb edits to the trilogy years after they came out, and the edited movies ruin what used to be great films. You can't buy the theatrical versions on Blu-ray at all.

The last release of the theatrical versions was on DVD, and it was a transfer of a full screen letterboxed laserdisc (giving the appearance of widescreen), and when you watch it on a true widescreen television, it appears double letterboxed. Hardly ideal.

If you want a perfect example of why fans hate the edits so much and want the originals so badly, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezn-0xottw&feature=youtu.be&t=156

The Han shoots second debacle is probably the biggest and best example of Georgie Lucas' fuckery ruining the movies he created.

Greedo shooting may be the worst offender, but there's still a ton of other horrible edits though. Vader's "Noooo", force ghost replacement, tons of digital bullshit tacked into scenes just to fill screen space, replacing the cantina aliens, replacing Jabba's band, the awful looking CGI Jabba added into A New Hope. I could go on.

Oh, and speaking of that awful CGI Jabba, since the original stand in actor they replaced was much smaller than Jabba, they made Han step on Jabba's tail when he walks around behind him. What the fucking hell is up with that? I don't buy for a second that Jabba would stand for that shit. I get that it was necessary from a technical standpoint, but it completely breaks story immersion, and ruins Jabba's character. Also, it ruins the reveal of who Jabba is in Return of The Jedi if you see him in A New Hope.

The Han shoots second debacle is probably the biggest and best example of Georgie Lucas' fuckery ruining the movies he created.
It's always bugged me that people say it as "Han shot first", as if in the unaltered version there was a second shot. There wasn't. Han shot. Greedo dropped. End of story. So thanks for that. (And I agree with what you're saying 100%.)

Sidenote: consider they've been tweeking that scene since the SE fist came out, you'd think technology might have improved to the the point where Han's head movement didn't look like they just shifted a Photoshop layer. In spite of how they keep "improving" the SE, that still looks embarrassingly bad, as does a lot of the CG, really.

I am finding it funny though that's there even a question of the unaltered (or less altered, as Lucas never stopped tinkering with the films, even before the SE) trilogy appearing on these sets. It's very safe to say that isn't ever going to happen, at least not while Lucas is alive, and probably not even after. And if they were appearing, I guarantee there wouldn't be any doubt as the news would break the Internet and probably half of traditional media to boot. From everything I've read, Lucas put out those LD versions on DVD to shut people up and that's the end of the story, as far as he's concerned.

Despecialized Editions are the best things out there for HD versions of the original.  God bless Harmy.  

The theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy is what the fans want. Georgie Lucas made a bunch of dumb edits to the trilogy years after they came out, and the edited movies ruin what used to be great films. You can't buy the theatrical versions on Blu-ray at all.

The last release of the theatrical versions was on DVD, and it was a transfer of a full screen letterboxed laserdisc (giving the appearance of widescreen), and when you watch it on a true widescreen television, it appears double letterboxed. Hardly ideal.

If you want a perfect example of why fans hate the edits so much and want the originals so badly, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezn-0xottw&feature=youtu.be&t=156

Im sure there is an equally stupid reason for these edits?

reminds me of DBZ and those orange box sets cutting upwards of 20% off each screen. years later they release what fans want but then stop after 26 episodes because apparently the best selling anime in history isnt worth the extra cost.

rather hilarious...in both cases the fans would praise the publishers and preorder out the ass if given the originals that they so desperately want.

I actually watched the New Hope Blu-Ray tonight and man oh man was I reminded of all the stupid edits all over again.  Geez, what a damn mess.

Covers make sense to me. Yoda is a villain too.

"In my opinion the Jedi are evil!"

If we get cinema now codes for them at bestbuy I will buy them at bestbuy

bread's done
Back