Any artists in here?

opportunity777

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I want to a buy a piece of artwork, but the sketch itself is "tipped in" and signed by the Artist.

I know it is not an original, but does the artist actually trace over the sketch or is it just a print? Is this like an etching where the artist goes over a pattern over and over again?

The guy selling the thing has no clue because he got it from an estate sale. I tried Googling for it, but I couldn't confirm this technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped-in_page

Is this what you are referring to?

I'd guess it's a print. I've never seen an original drawing inserted into a book like this. If it's color I'd guess it's a litho. If it's black and white line work it could be a litho, an etching or more likely an engraving - both an intaglio process. Etchings and engravings are typically made from metal plates (copper or zinc are the most common) but engravings are sometimes made from end grain wood. Once the plate is created it is wiped with ink and printed onto paper using a press.

If you have a pic or a link to the artwork post it and that could help us clarify.

$_122.JPG

91IdyUufyAL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see an edition number (49 of 50 I think?) which most certainly means print. Since this is contemporary work I can't really hazard a guess as to what type of print. It could honestly be anything - litho, intaglio, screen, digital (inkjet, laser, etc.)

It appears the artist signed on some sort of foil sticker? Seems odd and cheeseball to me for a print. If it's stuck directly to the paper I'd be concerned about archival quality. There's a halfway decent chance the foil and the adhesive used on the foil sticker aren't archival. Which can cause yellowing/deterioration over time. But I'd suppose the entire edition was done like this so they will all likely experience that over time. These are just assumptions/guesses I'm making here about the foil sticker though.

I can't read the name of the artist. Is it a comic artist?

Regardless, unless this is some random niche thing that is somehow highly collectible I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it. All just my opinion though.

Just to give you a little info on my background - I got my MFA in printmaking 10 years ago. I collect art and buy all sorts of stuff - prints, drawings, paintings, etc. I have a fair bit of oddball comic artists work. Jim Woodring is my favorite.

bread's done
Back