Nintendo 2DS is getting an official price drop August 30th- $99.99

Thanks OP.

Can anyone tell me if the 2DS is any more comfortable to hold for a 4-5 year old compared to the 3DS ?

Also how much more sturdy and protected is the 2DS when compared to the 3DS which can fold and protect both the screens when closed?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks OP.

Can anyone tell me if the 2DS is any more comfortable to hold for a 4-5 year old compared to the 3DS ?

Also how much more sturdy and protected is the 2DS when compared to the 3DS which can fold and protect both the screens when closed?

Thanks in advance.
The 2DS is definitely more comfortable to hold than the regular 3DS. I would use mine all the time if it wasn't for missing out on the Circle Pad Pro.

The 2DS is also much sturdier than the 3DS, but the screens being exposed is the big problem. Buying a carrying case is essential. I could definitely see the console going on sale for $70-80 on Black Friday so I would hold out if possible on buying one. Target knocked $30 off the MSRP of the 2DS at BF last year, so I could certainly see them doing that again even with the lower price.

My 5 year old stepson hated holding the 2DS, but is totally fine with the 3DSXL.  Though he's a weird kid, so take that with a grain of salt.

I want to get a 2DS for myself, just to complete the system lineup (reg 3ds, XL, N3DSXL), but I'm waiting for a good sale and an edition that appeals to me... Closest so far was the white/teal one.

The 2DS is definitely more comfortable to hold than the regular 3DS. I would use mine all the time if it wasn't for missing out on the Circle Pad Pro.

The 2DS is also much sturdier than the 3DS, but the screens being exposed is the big problem. Buying a carrying case is essential. I could definitely see the console going on sale for $70-80 on Black Friday so I would hold out if possible on buying one. Target knocked $30 off the MSRP of the 2DS at BF last year, so I could certainly see them doing that again even with the lower price.
Thanks for the feedback.

We have a NERF cover for the 3DS XL tat my 8 year old has, which makes it super bulky, but protects it when it falls. But I haven't heard of shell covers for the 2 DS only carrying cases which would be useless when the 2 DS is dropped while playing.

I was wondering if the 2DS is a good bet for our younger son. We can definitely wait it out until thanksgiving to see if we really need to get him one or he just plays his brother's 3DSXL.

The hinges on the 3DS aren't that great. I wouldn't give it to a child just because it's so fragile. It also costs 2x as much, while pretty much doing the same thing.

The hinges on the 3DS aren't that great. I wouldn't give it to a child just because it's so fragile. It also costs 2x as much, while pretty much doing the same thing.
There is also the advantage of the 3D not accidentally being turned on for a young one. My youngest has a new 3DS (mainly because having a different unit than his older brother would definitely not fly) and every so often he will have bumped it up a bit. Not a problem, he knows to turn it back off (and actually prefers it, as does his brother) - but some people may have that issue with small children. The 2DS completely eliminates the problem.

You're right about twice the price for doing the same thing. We have probably used the 3d feature once or twicw. We kept telling our son he can use it when he's 8. Now that he's 8 he asked if he can use it and then shut it off during his first try in years saying it was painful.

Already have a 3DS XL and still considering a 2DS.  I might hold off, in hopes that Nintendo would release a "New 2DS" with everything the New 3DS has, minus the 3D functionality.

This is the main reason why I recently went with the 2DS for my 6 year old. She currently has a DSi and she is constantly carrying it around by the top screen with it open, as the bottom screen flaps back and forth. I cringe every time I see it.

I would consider the 2DS too since my 3DS XL the screen never seems to lock perfectly into place. Games in 2D will also look their sharpest since the screen is pixel perfect compared to the 3DS which has to make every other pixel black. I never fully enjoyed 3D either since more often than not I would notice ghosting in the image that was distracting.

Only one last place the crystal red color so hopefully once the price drop is in effect I can get it.

When do you think the 3DS will get the next price cut?  My launch day 3DS is starting to go bad (buttons losing responsiveness).  I don't think I want a 2DS, but I'm hoping I can get a good deal on a 3DS when the time comes.

bread's done
Back