PSA: I Got Punked By GameStop Retrogaming

LeHah

CAGiversary!
Howdy all, long story short - I ordered a copy of Chrono Trigger from Gamestop and they sent me a cart with a Madden 95 chip inside. Buyer Beware, GS ain't checking what they're selling.

http://youtu.be/puPIOND5FCw

Of course they don't check it's not worth the money to them have to check each game. So of course Someone scammed them.

chronotriggerxfuturama.jpg

That really sucks. 

At first, I figured somebody switched the circuit boards. 

I remember going to local video game store. The employee was telling me about someone traded in a Tetris cartridge with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt in it.

I want to hear about it if they give you a hard time when you go to return Chrono Trigger Madden 95.

Last edited by a moderator:
A punchline requires a joke to set it up!

Yeah, I know, the onus is on me in that fact. Well, "fool me once, shame on you..."
I was in Game Stop earlier tonight, and they were talking about their retro games. I saw your original post last night, so I chuckled a little bit when it talked about how each game was thoroughly tested. :roll:

Howdy all, long story short - I ordered a copy of Chrono Trigger from Gamestop and they sent me a cart with a Madden 95 chip inside. Buyer Beware, GS ain't checking what they're selling.

One gamestop's N64 died on them while testing games lol.

kinda figured that would happen eventually, some people have said that they just take the games and dont test them

its pretty easy to switch carts too, i clean N64 games from thrift stores all the time and in just a minute i can open and switch a N64 cart if i wanted to

hope you get a refund OP, now i wont buy any GS retro games unless they are CD until this is fixed

I've picked up bootleg copies of ds and gba games numerous times over the years. My favorite is when you order a cartridge, receive it, the label is ripped off with the title written in blue ink and then it's still the wrong game.GS online is the worst.

kinda figured that would happen eventually, some people have said that they just take the games and dont test them

its pretty easy to switch carts too, i clean N64 games from thrift stores all the time and in just a minute i can open and switch a N64 cart if i wanted to

hope you get a refund OP, now i wont buy any GS retro games unless they are CD until this is fixed
So I'm clear, is any CAG buying retro games from GameStop, period? Wouldn't it be cheaper to find Chrono Trigger even on eBay with a couple minutes' work?

So I'm clear, is any CAG buying retro games from GameStop, period? Wouldn't it be cheaper to find Chrono Trigger even on eBay with a couple minutes' work?
With CAG16 and Power Up Rewards you can save 26% off their prices. In almost all cases that would be cheaper than eBay. Not to mention retro games are included in B2G1 along with PUR (it's a nearly 40% discount in that case).

Also, Chrono Trigger goes for over $110 on eBay and Amazon so even without discounts, GameStop is considerably cheaper.

You're featured on a popular Youtube series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23K2QmjjvbM

I really hope this doesn't become a major trend. Here's hoping they start to actually test higher priced games before actually buying them from their customers. 

With CAG16 and Power Up Rewards you can save 26% off their prices. In almost all cases that would be cheaper than eBay. Not to mention retro games are included in B2G1 along with PUR (it's a nearly 40% discount in that case).

Also, Chrono Trigger goes for over $110 on eBay and Amazon so even without discounts, GameStop is considerably cheaper.
Also GS isn't supposed to take in any cart with label damage. Sucks that these employees couldn't recognize a retro/fake label, but they are told to just check for damage & the repair center in TX is SUPPOSED to test the cart. Obviously didn't happen here.

Cool to see a CAG featured on Pat's channel.

lol wow that NES youtube guy got around 15x the views OP's video got. surprised the video didn't get more. any "gaming site" mention it?

seems the OP hasn't been on CAG for a few weeks. he did post this comment on his video:

And holy cr*p did the comments section blow up out of nowhere. Theres a (mostly) happy ending to this story: GS took their dear sweet time but refunded me $80 back - they kept $5 for a restocking fee or something. They also didn't repay me for the $30 out-of-my-pocket it took to Second Day Air it via UPS to Texas. Thankfully, a friend of a friend offered to sell me his copy of CT, which came with box and manual (albeit a bit beat up) for about the same price. That said, GS won't be getting my money again and all I ask is that people keep linking to this video until they learn the meaning of "customer service".

Yeah, I wondered what happened with trying to return.  Finally found out a day ago when a follow up on Youtube was posted mentioning having to pay for postage back.  Which absolutely sucks.   

BTW, here's the update video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-98we9fQRjI[/youtube]

well I just bought shenmue 1, marvel vs capcom 2 and blue stinger( its so bad but i want to play it) from the gamestop retro page

wonder if any will come CiB or scratched the hell up.

Yeah, I usually ghost on CAG.

TheKing20, I hope you ended up having a better experience than I did.

bread's done
Back