Solid Rewards Credit Card for a College Student?

ORANGE ALERT

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
Hey guys, I know a lot of you like to talk about what rewards credit cards you use in the middle of video game deals, but thought I'd try to get some opinions here. Basically I'm going to use this card as a debit card, paying it off in it's entirety every month. I'm a student, so keep that in mind - I won't be spending a ton. Basically I'll be buying gas (to commute to school), food/drinks at bars, the occasional new game release, and school supplies. I've been looking, and the only thing I really know is that I'm not willing to pay an annual fee - it'd probably offset whatever rewards I'd even earn.

If anyone has any advise, I'd love to hear it! 

Where do you purchase most of your games at? I have a Amazon Visa card and I think that card is pretty good since I spend a lot at amazon. Here's is the current offer:

•  You can start using your card today at Amazon.com after approval†
  • Get a $70 Amazon.com Gift Card* instantly upon credit card approval
  • Earn 3% Back at Amazon.com†
  • Earn 2% Back at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores†
  • Earn 1% Back on all other purchases†
  • No annual fee‡

The Sallie Mae MasterCard might be another option for you too since you won't be spending a lot:

Sallie Mae MasterCard®If you have student loans, the Sallie Mae MasterCard might be the right card for you. Not only does it offer cash back rewards, but it also allows you to use those rewards to pay down your eligible Sallie Mae student loans.1
Here’s how you earn cash back:
  • 5% cash back on the first $250 you spend per month on eligible gas and grocery purchases each and the first $750 you spend per month on eligible book purchases.2
  • 1% cash back on every other purchase you make.2
  • Earn 2500 bonus points which may be redeemed for a $25 cash back statement credit, just for using your card within 90 days of account opening.3
  • No annual fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discover is a good one too. It's had 5% back from Amazon for the last 6 months and some people were able to get 10% with a targeted offer. Gas and food are seasonal at 5% though. On the brightside, you can get 5-20% back if you go through their rewards shopping portal to make up for some of it. Another good feature is that you can use your rewards points to purchase discounted giftcards, pay off your balance, AND use them on Amazon.

Thanks guys. I don't actually plan on buying too many more games in the near future, as I'm actually selling a lot of my collection. But that Amazon card does sound pretty nice. Thankfully, no Sallie Mae loans, but I might suggest that to a friend.

DohDough, I'll have to look into that one. If you have a link to the one you're talking about, that'd be sweet.

I've always used the Citi Forward card (originally called the MTVu card).

It has the normal one point per dollar, but the good part is the bonus categories.

It goes 5x the points for bookstores (Amazon is a bookstore so it is included), restaurants, music stores (do these still exist?), and movie theaters (hah).

The 5x for restaurants and Amazon add up though. You can redeem the points for stuff, but the best bang for your buck are school payments, mortgage payments, or other adult things. I only redeem on those type of items so it is like getting 5% back from Amazon or restaurants at all time.

http://www.reviews.com/student-credit-cards/citi-forward-card-for-college-students/

I've had this card since 2008 and use it every day on everything I buy. I have a 2nd AmEx I use for special AmEx offers (they do random things like $20 of a $20 or more purchase at Best Buy, Sam's, Amazon, etc.). 

bread's done
Back