[Amazon] Many Criterion Blu-Rays Half Off (Or Pretty Close!)

Larry Davis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Shop all Criterion Collection titles here.

Includes preorders, like Don't Look Back, Ikiru, Mulholland Dr., Breaker Morant, and more.

Many of the big box sets are half off, with most individual titles at $22.49 (so, a little more than half) -- this is standard for Amazon's sales, and who knows if Barnes and Noble will even still be in business in November for their semi-annual sale?

Major box sets half off:

Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy (preorder)
Roberto Rossellini/Ingrid Bergman set
John Cassavetes: 5 Films (ok, this is 49% off, sue me. They're great movies.)
Jacques Demy (same as above. No regrats.)
Zatoichi (this thing is 25 movies, by the way, and they're GREAT)

Have at it! Good times!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I weren't in a buying holding pattern on "big purchases", I'd be all over that Zatoichi set. In for Mullholland Dr and The Brood preorders though. The Brood is coming out on a friend's birthday so that made her gift pretty easy this year and Mullholland Dr is one of my more anticipated Criterions. Good looking out OP.

Pardon my ignorance but would there be any reason for someone like me who just wants the movie on bluray to upgrade to a criterion version? Is the picture or audio better? or is it stuff like more bonus features?

thanks

Pardon my ignorance but would there be any reason for someone like me who just wants the movie on bluray to upgrade to a criterion version? Is the picture or audio better? or is it stuff like more bonus features?

thanks
Usual all three. They do a top-notch job with their releases.

Criterion's releases tend to be definitive. If you only care about having the movie on Blu-Ray, then no, save your money. However, if you're serious about whatever the title is, you're going to want to just pay up now and enjoy. I have Criterions all the way back to laserdisc and I'm probably a customer for life.

They aren't always perfect, though. The recent Dressed to Kill release had some issues (I believe this was caught before it was actually released, and thus only affected early review copies, the corrected edition is out this week), and there are occasionally defective discs (the original BR of Eraserhead was missing a couple of seconds of footage) but they're also very good about replacing these for customers free of charge.

Is this sale still going on?  Mulholland Dr is $22.49 and its been that price for quite awhile.  Even checked with camelcamelcamel to make sure (shows its been $22.49 since July)

They aren't always perfect, though. The recent Dressed to Kill release had some issues (I believe this was caught before it was actually released, and thus only affected early review copies, the corrected edition is out this week), and there are occasionally defective discs (the original BR of Eraserhead was missing a couple of seconds of footage) but they're also very good about replacing these for customers free of charge.
That's just two out of like 700 titles. They are pretty much perfect in regards to releasing titles especially on bluray. Personally I'll wait for the November 50% off sale at Barnes & Nobles.

That's just two out of like 700 titles. They are pretty much perfect in regards to releasing titles especially on bluray. Personally I'll wait for the November 50% off sale at Barnes & Nobles.
Well, there are also issues with disc 2 of Carlos, which I had to have replaced. Also that thing with a few titles from a certain manufacturing facility being subject to disc rot (Howard's End, Chungking Express, among others).

But yes, I agree, they are still pretty much the best, and as I mentioned replacing defective discs is extremely painless.

Personally, I'm placing preorders for anything I want now, and if B&N does have another sale, I can cancel and get them there. At this point, though, I'm not going to take that as a certainty.

Is this sale still going on? Mulholland Dr is $22.49 and its been that price for quite awhile. Even checked with camelcamelcamel to make sure (shows its been $22.49 since July)
It's all September, I believe. Mulholland Dr. has been that price for a while, because it's been a top seller, so Amazon automatically (from what I gather) keeps it at a discount. The Apu Trilogy and other large sets are the real draw here, as well as other preorders which were around $30 until now.

bread's done
Back