Ebay buyer claims xbox one doesn't work

jubeininja69

CAGiversary!
So I sold a brand new Xbox One on ebay and now I received a message from the buyer:

Dear jubeininja69,

Hi, I've only had the Xbox for 9 days and it's not working. It's giving me a black screen. Please let me know how I can exchange it. Thank you
I don't have another xbox one to exchange. Even if I do I won't be exchanging it because I sold a brand new sealed on box xbox one.

I've heard about all the stories about scammers on ebay claiming items don't work out of buyer's remorse and try to return the item back. Even worst there are scams when they return an empty box back.

What should I do here? Please advice me CAGs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he basically just gave you written proof that it worked upon arrival, and worked for 9 days. That alone should be proof to eBay/Paypal if he files a claim against you, that you're not at fault. He's best to contact Microsoft.

I didn't see where the buyer mentioned it actually worked. Just said he had it for 9 days and that it doesn't work. So his approach will be a item not as described claim if you refuse the return. Which he will win hands down. eBay protects the buyer not the seller.

Ask for video proof of it not working and see if he backs down. Tell him to go the MS route for replacementt. Once a claim is filed, however, eBay almost always sides with the buyer.

You may very well have to take the return back or risk a black mark on your seller account. Depending on what you sell, this may be bad for business on your part. Up to you to decide.

For items like this, I recommend documenting on video the item you are selling and highlighting the condition. Video you packing it up and sealing and make sure you show the PayPal label. This is proof of what you sent out.
If you take the return back, video opening of the returned item to showcase what you got back, ie empty box, different item etc. this can all help in your claim.

He could be legit. It may not work. And seeing it is eBay, I doubt he has warranty options. You do as the original buyer.

Hate to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but that's it. Straight up.

Hope it all works out in your favor OP.

I'd stress that you need proof of the problems. However, if he can prove it, Ebay/Paypal will probably side with him and automatically rip money from your account. If he can't prove it, he may back away, or you *may* have a case.

Basically, I agree with ChiefBrody.

Its not New anymore, you have that fact on your side, item is not in same condition as it was in (Brand New).

If you included picture in listing with item NIB use that and description in regards to an item not as described. Buyer has to return item and you are the one who can decline return if item is not as described, you need to explain the process to the buyer and explain to them you need evidence of black screen etc (ebay has access to all messages so mention that to the buyer so he is aware he needs to provide evidence) and explain you will also document item when return is processed. etc. Go direct to how it needs to be done, evidence is required. Start with that and good luck. If buyer is being dishonest you have no reason to want to not ask for required evidence as you sold them a NIB item. good luck

It could very well be broken. If I am buying off someone or ebay I'd much rather it be used in like new condition so I at least know its been tested. Some believe since its new it box it has to work. I bought a BNIB router not long ago. I asked the seller if he would guarantee it to work he said yeah. Well I get it out of the box and hook everything up and aside of it being flaky on letting me change my password it seemed to work find.

But low and behold a few days later it decided to start acting funny and I had to do random resets for a hour to get it going again. By then I done told the seller it seemed to be working fine. I just chalked it up as a loss. I wasn't going to demand a refund back. Was sorta hoping he would at least offer a partial refund. At least thats what I would have done as a seller.

Most everything I sell on ebay I mark as is no refunds or returns in the description. Ebay might still side with the buyer but I'd like to think it helps me out some since I did list it as is.

This may seem trivial but have you tried troubleshooting the problem with him first? I know when I got the Xbox One I was getting a black screen because I mistakenly put the hdmi in the wrong port. Since the buyer didnt specify whether he had been using it for 9 days or if it was giving him a blank screen upon setting up the console, it may be worth a shot. If he does in fact have a faulty system he's supposed to contact Microsoft.

Or he may have the issue I just had today when I booted up my system it loaded the green logo screen then went black forever, I contacted customer support and did a manual update via USB and that just made it freeze on the green logo screen. Finally I just decided to do a Factory Restore and that did the trick. My xbox one is working fine, I'm just glad all my games were installed on an external drive and not the internal. Send him this link and tell him to troubleshoot it first. 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

This may seem trivial but have you tried troubleshooting the problem with him first? I know when I got the Xbox One I was getting a black screen because I mistakenly put the hdmi in the wrong port. Since the buyer didnt specify whether he had been using it for 9 days or if it was giving him a blank screen upon setting up the console, it may be worth a shot. If he does in fact have a faulty system he's supposed to contact Microsoft.
Heh. Bought an Xbone this week myself, hooked it up yesterday. I actually put the HDMI in the wrong port myself having not realized there were two ports. Switched cables and tried low-res boot before realizing the issue.

they all come with 1 yr warranty he has to register it with xbox and send it back to them free of charge they supply shipping label he just needs the box

If it was a sealed console, then him opening it and it not working is on him, not you.  I would imagine that eBay would side with you on this because once he cracked that seal, its out of your hands.  But, eBay can be a giant clusterfuck too and favors the buyer more than the seller.  Also, did your auction specify no returns or returns as long as the item is in the same condition?  That could go a long way to help you with this instance.

Could you send him the receipt and let him work out whatever with the store? You were merely the facilitator (the middle man) and certainly, do not "sell" the units as a business. He should be able to exchange the unit at the store were purchased from (even if he had to mail it back in if they didn't have a B&M location) - OR he should accept that he bought the item from eBay (trying to save money does not always afford you the same luxury of warranties and service from the manufacturer) so he might have to pay a few dollars to repair the console, if it is indeed broken.

OP - I would be leery that maybe he already HAD a broken xb1 (out of warranty), it was broke, he bought yours, and is now trying the switcharoo - since he can't return it to a store.

It's really good to document serial numbers for cases like this. 

I was stumped one time with a black screen on my xbox one.

The reason was that it was hooked up to my tv and then I switched it to my monitor.

The resolution didn't automatically adjust to the monitor so the screen was blank. To fix it, reset the xbox by holding down the power button for 8 seconds and then the resolution settings can be accessed.

For anyone ever interested in selling a console, always always grab hold of the serial number of your console, Ebay and any site is a scam waiting to happen when the serial number isn't documented on the sale (written on the description) - which is easy money on a scammers end to play the 'ol switcheroo, sending back a broken console for the new console you sent them.

As a few have already mentioned, he may have installed it incorrectly or chose the wrong input if his tv has several.

If it was NIB, it could be defective. Have him call MS. He may or may not need a receipt as they can tell when the system was originally sold. If it is still within the warranty period they should be able to honor it.

bread's done
Back