Toys "R" Us - Game Salvage Pricing Glitch(es)

barchi01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
493 (100%)
I went to Toys "R" Us today and bought 2 copies of Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate (Vita) that rang up for $.03 each at the price check station and the counter. I know I have seen this type of game salvage pricing glitch at Toys "R" Us discussed on CAG before but couldn't find the original thread to attach my update.

This could very well be YMMV, although I have had success in the past finding "generously priced" games at my local Toys "R" Us which prices were exactly aligned with what other CAG'ers across the country had listed they got theirs for. It kind of goes without saying but the best strategy is to lump your salvage priced games in with a few other purchases. It also doesn't hurt to find the most confused looking employee to buy your stuff from. Happy game hunting.

[attachment=17378:image.jpeg]

Last edited by a moderator:
YMMV??? Also TRU is known to penny shit out when they want their "enthusiastic" employees to throw it in the dumpster. 

It isn't a glitch, at least I don't think it is. Sounds like it is suppose to be removed from the system and salvaged. Either way, great pricing if you find an employee that is willing to sell it to you for that price.

This isn't a glitch, it's supposed to be brought into the back and donated at the end of the month along with all of the other $0.03 clearance items. Good job catching it before any employees.

Yeah its basically being pennied out like the strategy guides they do regularly. Last Christmas I got lucky and was able to get :xb1: Dead Rising 3, :xb1: Ryse Son of Rome, and :xb1: Forza Motorsport 5 all for $0.02 each, epic times. :cool:

image.png

This isn't a glitch, it's supposed to be brought into the back and donated at the end of the month along with all of the other $0.03 clearance items. Good job catching it before any employees.
By donated, you mean to feed the hungry compactor? That's what happened when I worked there years ago. We had to throw the OG Xbox demo display (minus the TV) right into the compactor - the manager wouldn't let anyone take it home. That company was so fuck ing wasteful.

By donated, you mean to feed the hungry compactor? That's what happened when I worked there years ago. We had to throw the OG Xbox demo display (minus the TV) right into the compactor - the manager wouldn't let anyone take it home. That company was so fuck ing wasteful.
What do you want to do, starve it? Trash compactors are people too. Hell I identify as a half human/half trash compactor hybrid. Human biology is just a social construct!!

That reminded me of how I had to beg my store manager to let me have the kiosk Dreamcast system when I worked at Kay-Bee Toys years ago. He only gave it to me after it stopped working but he made me dismantle the display first and promise not to take it away from the dumpster. I still have that Dreamcast although it was DOA.

Yeah its basically being pennied out like the strategy guides they do regularly. Last Christmas I got lucky and was able to get :xb1: Dead Rising 3, :xb1: Ryse Son of Rome, and :xb1: Forza Motorsport 5 all for $0.02 each, epic times. :cool:
Whoa. Epic indeed lol

I still haven't played ANY of those, nor Batman, but looking forward to all of them. Paid full price for Vita Batman, which I really don't regret, and not full price for those other three, but a lot closer to it than 2¢ lol

That reminded me of how I had to beg my store manager to let me have the kiosk Dreamcast system when I worked at Kay-Bee Toys years ago. He only gave it to me after it stopped working but he made me dismantle the display first and promise not to take it away from the dumpster. I still have that Dreamcast although it was DOA.
Have you tried fixing the Dreamcast? They had a very common issue with the power contact coming loose inside the machine. I had one that was dead for years and I just looked up recently how to fix it. I found a detailed video on YouTube that helped me fix it in 20 minutes and now I have a working Dreamcast again.

#triggered4:thefinalchapter
#triggered6:triggeredwithavengeance

(okay i'm done I don't wanna get banned)

In more related topic --

how often do these salvage prices go out? I never really go to TRU (we only have a few major ones where I live) and their deals aren't very frequent to warrant visits.

Nothing much has been clearance at my store lately as far as video games go. Grid 2 should be 4.98 for 360 if you find it. Batman Vita was $7.98 as of a few weeks ago, but I sold my last copy then. Super Mario 3D World's guide is only a couple of cents now if you see that.

Almost everything that goes to $.03 is regular clearance first, aside from strategy guides. Far Cry 4 might be something to keep and eye on. The original version stopped ringing up with it's original barcode, probably because of the GOTY edition, but I was able to find the changed item number still at full price. I don't think they want another incident like all the Xbone games that went down when their GOTY versions came out.

I didn't even know there was BOGO 40% off this week.  Might have to stop by since I was looking for some old amiibos that they might have restocked.

I walked into a Blockbuster one night shortly before closing and there was a stack of dvds and blu-rays about eye level high on the checkout counter. The girl working there was sticking them in a shredder one by one. I asked why they were destroying them instead of selling them used. She stated some companies wouldn't let them sell them used or if they did, each store could only keep some many copies of each movie.

I had a friend that was a manager at blockbuster before that. One time he showed up at my birthday party like a ghetto santa with a sackful of used blockbuster PS1 (and maybe N64) games. They got the order to throw them a bunch out so he took them out when noone else was around, walked right past the dumpster to his car and dropped them in the trunk. I remember I had gotten GTA3 for my birthday and we were passing the controller around playing it. There were some good games in the sack like NFS Porsche.

Ahhh yes, the Xbone trifecta from last year.  I remember ordering 5 of each online for full price (I think they were coming up at $49.99 each) and doing a return/rebuy in store.  -Went from $750+ all the way down to something like 25 cents total (every second copy was ringing up for 1 cent instead of 2 cents courtesy of the buy 1 get 1 40% off that was going on at the time).  Can't believe they let me get away with that one.  Also found another half dozen total copies of the 3 games (DR3, Ryse, Forza 5) on the shelves of a the local stores.  

Shortly after that incident, I believe they changed their policy so that anything ordered online and returned in store would receive store credit only.  

EDIT: Found a pic of the shennanegans:

B986D583-EC61-4133-85D7-D262CBD1A354_zpsyw96h7nv.jpg

F7C418DD-C707-4F25-B208-052CD0952B0E_zpssnvm8mfv.jpg

Good to see the glitches are back, besides getting Dead Rising 3 for $0.02 last year I also picked up a bunch of older clearance games for $0.04 like Ducktales Remastered (code version) and Skylanders Giants portal owners pack both for PS3.

The best way to get in on these glitches is find the TRU in your area that is disorganized so they are less likely to have the games pulled and possibly buy something else (even a $1 item) just so your total isn't $0.03.

Remember almost getting in on the last pennied out deal at TRU when the employee went Jr Detective on me and ended up calling the manager.

^This guy. Hated him then, hate him now.

Edit: targeted at Karkyco.
Awwwww, someone is butthurt they didn't get in on the deal. Cue sad trombone & Price Is Right Fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Remember going into a Toysrus for the deal of 1 of each Xbox One game. Went to the register and the manager came over and said "no way are we going to sell that". I didn't argue it and just left. Hopefully a similar salvage happens this year with better games (no offense Vita Batman).

Why did she get all butt hurt about that? She got about $300 worth of free ammo... And in regards to her "safety"concern? Ammo barely ignites in the midst of a heavy house fire, I think junior would be fine even if he was practicing his juggling with it.
Me? I'd load that stuff up in my Sig MPX and have a good old range day.

No, we (they) actually do donations now. Happens about once a month or so. Items are marked to .03 and are supposed to be taken off the floor. Not too many games get donated, to the people who are commenting on that. Mostly older toys that will never sell, some stuff that's actually worth some money (we've donated pools before, large ones), and seasonal items. I just boxed up about...tenish large boxes of stuff. I hate the company still, but this is one of the better things we do. Made me giddy when we started it. Demo units are actually still pitched, however. Usually. Sometimes a random LEGO display makes it out. Also, if you guys find something .03, they're actually supposed to sell it. Regardless of whether it was supposed to be donated - we missed it, so it's your gain at that point.

No, we (they) actually do donations now. Happens about once a month or so. Items are marked to .03 and are supposed to be taken off the floor. Not too many games get donated, to the people who are commenting on that. Mostly older toys that will never sell, some stuff that's actually worth some money (we've donated pools before, large ones), and seasonal items. I just boxed up about...tenish large boxes of stuff. I hate the company still, but this is one of the better things we do. Made me giddy when we started it. Demo units are actually still pitched, however. Usually. Sometimes a random LEGO display makes it out. Also, if you guys find something .03, they're actually supposed to sell it. Regardless of whether it was supposed to be donated - we missed it, so it's your gain at that point.
Which price point is the one that isn't supposed to be sold? $.02? I remember someone made a post explaining .02, .03, and .04 in the clearance blast thread, but I have no idea where that is.

Which price point is the one that isn't supposed to be sold? $.02? I remember someone made a post explaining .02, .03, and .04 in the clearance blast thread, but I have no idea where that is.
$.02 items are to be destroyed at store level. Stores can deny sales of these items. $.03 are items to be donated. These items can be purchased if found. $.04 items are sold just like regular items. No restrictions on these items. Although at my store, we just donate anything that comes up $.04.

bread's done
Back