Installing digitally bought games from disc?

wwe101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hi guys, quick question if anyone has experience with this. I want to buy BLOPS3 digitally when it comes out because I have two ps4s and would like to share it between them. But I don't want to download a 50GB+ file twice (or even once). So my question is if I buy the game digitally, can I borrow a friend's disc version and install the game that way instead of downloading it off PSN, then of course run.the game without the disc since I own it digitally?

Hi guys, quick question if anyone has experience with this. I want to buy BLOPS3 digitally when it comes out because I have two ps4s and would like to share it between them. But I don't want to download a 50GB+ file twice (or even once). So my question is if I buy the game digitally, can I borrow a friend's disc version and install the game that way instead of downloading it off PSN, then of course run.the game without the disc since I own it digitally?
Digital and physical are two different things. You will have to pick one to use.

I understand, but aren't all games installed on your HDD regardless if it is disc based or digitally purchased? So can you digitally purchase a game and install the file from the disc version instead of downloading it on PSN?

It's either or. I had the disc version of TLOU remastered installed but still decided to buy the digital version because they were going for cheap. It required me to delete install and download digitally for it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
No your digital copy will not be playable with the physical install. You have to download the digital game,  I have tried this before with a few games it does not work. It does however work on Xbox One.

I understand, but aren't all games installed on your HDD regardless if it is disc based or digitally purchased? So can you digitally purchase a game and install the file from the disc version instead of downloading it on PSN?
As others said, you have to pick one or the other. I know it's the same way with RE: REV 2. This person from reddit experienced the same result with Diablo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a download you can switch it to a physical version install. I have had it done before but you can not do a physical to digital.

So digital to physical will work
But physical to digital will not

If you have a download you can switch it to a physical version install. I have had it done before but you can not do a physical to digital.

So digital to physical will work
But physical to digital will not
This is accurate I had a gtav phantom and then it got locked so I bought physical version and no install or update needed

bread's done
Back