First Time Buying a Vita

SpraykwoN

CAGiversary!
Feedback
454 (100%)
Yep...it is that time.  I am in the market to snag a Vita now that they have dropped in price pretty heavily.  Any tips for which model to get, or a good price to look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you want one REALLY cheap, the PS TV is an option. You won't be able to play all of the games for the system, but you can pick one up at Best Buy for $40. Even figuring in the need for a controller and a memory card, it is still the cheapest option.

If it's a handheld you are after, the only two options are the original model and the newer slim model. I've heard that most people consider the newer slim model to have better ergonomics, so less hand-cramping while playing for extended periods of time. But the original model had a full OLED screen, which makes for extremely deep blacks and one of the best possible contrast ratios. It's a matter of deciding which is more important to you. It would probably be a good idea to check a display model in a store to see how the slim model feels in your hand. The original model is no longer sold in stores, so it will also be a little harder to locate. (especially new)

I personally have the original model, and have been very happy with it. The games for it look REALLY good with the OLED screen.

I'll second Richard's advice to scope out some store models to see which you prefer.  I had always figured my preference would remain with the original model, as a better screen is usually most important factor to me-- by far.  But after trying out a slim model, my preference really goes to the slim instead.

Many stores around me still carry the original model, and Cowboom is a good choice to find one for ~$100-120 if you don't mind used (although they seem to usually come in like-new condition anyway).

I'll second Richard's advice to scope out some store models to see which you prefer. I had always figured my preference would remain with the original model, as a better screen is usually most important factor to me-- by far. But after trying out a slim model, my preference really goes to the slim instead.

Many stores around me still carry the original model, and Cowboom is a good choice to find one for ~$100-120 if you don't mind used (although they seem to usually come in like-new condition anyway).
What stores still have the original OLED model (new)? Haven't seen that in the wild for a long time.

I've got two OLED models, one bought new at launch, and one bought used from GS a while ago. Been considering getting a slim model, but waiting on a good sale before I pick one up. LOVE the OLED screen with its rich, saturated colors and dark blacks, but I'm interested to get a slim model as an extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
What stores still have the original OLED model (new)? Haven't seen that in the wild for a long time.

I've got two OLED models, one bought new at launch, and one bought used from GS a while ago. Been considering getting a slim model, but waiting on a good sale before I pick one up. LOVE the OLED screen with its rich, saturated colors and dark blacks, but I'm interested to get a slim model as an extra.
I see them around me at places like Target and Wal-Mart. In smaller towns, mainly.

Wait for Black Friday week. Seriously, I expected crazy deals on the Vita to move stock.
It turned out that no one gives PSV a sh*t... no deal about it at all ($169 is not a deal I believe)... except the BB's daily deal of PS TV couple days before...

bread's done
Back