* * * * - 23 votes

Amazon Warehouse Deals Thread XVI

amazon amazon warehouse deals warehouse deals awd Amazon Warehouse Deals Thread XVI

#121 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   3099 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

I use iOS to punish my kids. Like, "oh you got an F? Give me your Note 4, you have to use this iPhone 5S this week." My kids failed once and almost died that week.

#122 refinition  

refinition

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

I use iOS to punish my kids. Like, "oh you got an F? Give me your Note 4, you have to use this iPhone 5S this week." My kids failed once and almost died that week.

> Proceeds to sell the 5S and buy a Nexus 5

Kids can be pretty inventive. 

#123 WolfmanASTN   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1567 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

WolfmanASTN

Posted 01 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

I use Android for phone, iPad for tablet. My phone works awesome for wbat i need, planning toupgrade my iPad eventually to play some of the bigger games that have come out.

#124 omargm   CAG Veteran Validating   252 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

In my opinion is for a phone:
1: Android
2: ios
3: Windows

For tablets:
1: Windows
3: Android

For a phone i have a Galaxy S6 Edge and tablets i have an Asus (Android), Unbranded (Windows 10) and an ipad and use my ipad air most of the time but a tablet with Windows 8-10 is like having a laptop in your hands so you can install a lot of crap that is not in the App Stores like video and music players that i use on my pc for example. But that is my opinion.

#125 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   3099 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Most of the people I know that think IOS is better than Android have one thing in common. They had a shitty Android phone before and then spent $600-700 on an iPhone and talk about how amazing it is. I mean obviously the $700 phone is better than the piece of shit you got because it was "free" with the 2 year contract. People who actually invest the money to get a flagship android never go back unless it's some dumbass reason like my friend, whose job requires him to have IOS because one of the apps he has to use everyday is only IOS for some reason.

#126 lilwiggum   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

Don't know how good this is but seems OK:

:ps4: Destiny TTK G $33 http://www.amazon.co...=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Please be aware that the Taken King expansion (and the other 2 expansions included) are just digital codes included with the vanilla Destiny disc.  I picked up a Factory Sealed Destiny TTK posted here and the code was unused.  I would be cautious buying a non-Factory sealed version from AWD.

#127 ritchardf  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

Please be aware that the Taken King expansion (and the other 2 expansions included) are just digital codes included with the vanilla Destiny disc.  I picked up a Factory Sealed Destiny TTK posted here and the code was unused.  I would be cautious buying a non-Factory sealed version from AWD.

man, you got some balls buying that with any description. glad it worked out for you, i wouldnt touch this game on AWD.

#128 TheCochese   TheLegend CAGiversary!   13962 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

In my opinion is for a phone:
1: Android
3: Windows

For tablets:
1: Windows
3: Android

For a phone i have a Galaxy S6 Edge and tablets i have an Asus (Android), Unbranded (Windows 10) and an ipad and use my ipad air most of the time but a tablet with Windows 8-10 is like having a laptop in your hands so you can install a lot of crap that is not in the App Stores like video and music players that i use on my pc for example. But that is my opinion.

I think you have to change your expectations for a Windows tablet - you need to have the need or desire to have a portable desktop or ultra portable laptop instead of the tablet experience that iOS or Android gives.

My phone is a 2nd gen Moto X and it's just about perfect. I have a first gen iPad Mini, and the size is great but Apple's thoughts on memory suck. My Cyanogen Touchpad gives a better tablet experience, but iOS is where everyone develops for first.

I had a Winbook TW802 that was surprisingly very good experience, albeit a bit on the heavy side. It broke trying to erase my information after a W10 upgrade, I returned it and am considering picking up another. Once (if) Microsoft convinces people to develop apps alongside desktop programs, the Windows 'mobile' experience could be really great. W10 changed my mind completely.

Back to your regularly scheduled lack of AWD deals discussion.

#129 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40058 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

I have a Windows Phone. It has like 2 apps in the app store, which is a shame since it doesn't do that terrible thing every android phone I've ever had does where it'll suddenly become incredibly slow/freeze a lot and have horrible battery life for no reason after a few months of owning it. 

#130 TheCochese   TheLegend CAGiversary!   13962 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

I have a Windows Phone. It has like 2 apps in the app store, which is a shame since it doesn't do that terrible thing every android phone I've ever had does where it'll suddenly become incredibly slow/freeze a lot and have horrible battery life for no reason after a few months of owning it. 

I'd point back to what the other poster said and wonder what phones you've had. While Android isn't the best at optimization, the flagship phones with enough RAM do well for a lot longer.

#131 Lil Frier  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

Do you guys use ios or android

I've got a Lumia 920 with the Windows 10 Mobile beta running on it. The Android-style pop-out menus are awful, and the music player's about 8 steps back from its predecessor, but the OS itself is pretty nice. I use maybe 3 apps on my phone that aren't MS-related, and I don't do phone gaming, so I honestly can't say being away from the apps on Android has hurt me much. I'd love to get a Trillian app, but iM+ is enough to get by.

Most of the people I know that think IOS is better than Android have one thing in common. They had a shitty Android phone before and then spent $600-700 on an iPhone and talk about how amazing it is. I mean obviously the $700 phone is better than the piece of shit you got because it was "free" with the 2 year contract. People who actually invest the money to get a flagship android never go back unless it's some dumbass reason like my friend, whose job requires him to have IOS because one of the apps he has to use everyday is only IOS for some reason.

Possible, but as someone who's never had an iOS device (though I've experienced them), I think it's more than that. I had an Android device, (HTC Droid Incredible), and it generally wasn't a good time. It got hot, the music player (the biggest app for me on a phone) was mediocre and prone to crashing, and the thing was generally not a great experience. I got it (considered a flagship in its 2010 release window) maybe 6 months after launch, so it wasn't an old experience at the time. No, my brother-in-law has a Galaxy S4, and after briefly using it to check something, I'll say that being high-end doesn't fix its problems. People make jokes calling it dumb things like "lagdroid," which I scoff at. Using that S4, I was honestly surprised to see how prone something as simple as scrolling in the settings was to stuttering. YMMV with other/newer devices and Android UIs, but that's just my takeaway.

Is this a legitimate whoknows post? It kind of seems like it, and the possibility that it is scares me.

#132 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40058 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

I'd point back to what the other poster said and wonder what phones you've had. While Android isn't the best at optimization, the flagship phones with enough RAM do well for a lot longer.

Awhile ago when was looking at reviews for the S5 people were complaining about that same thing of it becoming slow and battery life becoming terrible so I ended up not bothering going back to android. I don't know if iOS does the same thing, but it seems to be a thing with Android in general.

Is this a legitimate whoknows post? It kind of seems like it, and the possibility that it is scares me.

It happens more than you think, but I usually don't let it be so obvoius.

#133 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14374 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

See, I completely read his post as sarcasm this time--less apps to cache means a faster response time. Windows phones have the same problem, since they're based on the Windows kernel which requires a restart every so often lest it not function properly. It's imperative that all phones be cleaned routinely, too, to remove the junk files that bog the system down. Android is great in that regard, since you get to browse the file system yourself and modify/install anything you want. Windows phone doesn't have an app for that.

#134 Lil Frier  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

See, I completely read his post as sarcasm this time--less apps to cache means a faster response time. Windows phones have the same problem, since they're based on the Windows kernel which requires a restart every so often lest it not function properly. It's imperative that all phones be cleaned routinely, too, to remove the junk files that bog the system down. Android is great in that regard, since you get to browse the file system yourself and modify/install anything you want. Windows phone doesn't have an app for that.

Windows 10 Mobile does have a File Explorer, though it doesn't get to system files, I don't think. They also added an app (and a built-in function) to clean up lingering files some time ago to WP8. I can only speak for me, but I haven't had crashing issues on my 920 in over 2.5 years (basically, the initial release in 11/2012 had some reboot problems). I do reset my phone a lot, but that's just become a habit related to using a beta OS and a phone whose thermals have gotten carried away on LTE after almost 3 years, but that was no better with my Incredible.

You can say what you want about apps, I won't argue the preferences of others. Me, I wouldn't have my phone loaded up with a bunch of apps on Android either, so the app count would be about the same on a self-installed level, if I WERE on Android. That leaves it an OS question, and as someone who's big on listening to music, Windows offers the better experience, and the OS is generally more satisfying for me to use. The only advantage Android gives to me is app availability, and that's not high on my list for a smartphone, believe it or not.

#135 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40058 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

I haven't had that issue. With my past Android phones even factory resetting fixed nothing. The battery got so bad it would last a few hours and it was slow and laggy. I've wanted to go back to Android for awhile now due to the better app store, but I'm not interested in dealing with that stuff again.

#136 Lil Frier  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

I haven't had that issue. With my past Android phones even factory resetting fixed nothing. The battery got so bad it would last a few hours and it was slow and laggy. I've wanted to go back to Android for awhile now due to the better app store, but I'm not interested in dealing with that stuff again.

Which WP do you have? I'm still on this launch 920, and if you want to talk battery life...man, throw on the LTE and GPS, and you can fry eggs for about the 90 minutes the battery will last, haha.

#137 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40058 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Which WP do you have? I'm still on this launch 920, and if you want to talk battery life...man, throw on the LTE and GPS, and you can fry eggs for about the 90 minutes the battery will last, haha.

I have a 920 as well. I always have location off just because, but data is always on. Battery lasts all day.

#138 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12555 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

Why don't you guys use to knowledge to figure out how to get the $20 BB from Visa checkout?

#139 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40058 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

Why don't you guys use to knowledge to figure out how to get the $20 BB from Visa checkout?

Visa Checkout locked me out for no reason. Going to complain to Amazon about it.

#140 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10608 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Considered getting a Windows Phone but the lack of apps that I wanted hurts. Great price on most of the phones.

I've got a OPO (One Plus One) I almost got a zenphone 2 instead
Kindle Fire HDX (might consider an iPad in the future)

Guy I work with has a Nexus 6 and loves it. For me since buying the OPO I'm going to buy all my phones off contract

We have a iPhone 5s for work for on call and it works fine

Now back to deal talk...do iPads ever show up on AWD? Anyone seen a good deal on the Neo-Geo X recently?

#141 Lil Frier  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

I don't follow.

#142 dominator   Boss CAGiversary!   1851 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

I had a Galaxy Note 2 for two years and while I did like it, by the time the two years were, I really wanted to go back to iOS. Damn thing was pretty buggy for me, although I did like the extended freedom that the platform gives you. With iOS, however, I've felt that's never been an issue. Just close a few apps and you're good to go. Just my experience. I still have an Android tablet (Transformer TF-300) which I really like. I'd choose an Android tablet over iPad, but would prefer a Windows tablet with a full version of the OS over anything.

#143 Rop3ADop3   puts salt on saltines CAGiversary!   1107 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

I don't follow.

they experiencing troubles over at $20 off BB thread, though you might help with your knowledge

c36728acb181971bf61885578e72417d.jpg

#144 gindias  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

I have owned several flagship andriod phones over the years and they have all suffered from lag requiring me to reboot several times a week or my favorite issue of movie apps not working for 3 months because of licensing issues this goes for the tablets I've owned as well. I have been using an iPad for the last 2yrs and will never go back to andriod, I took a chance earlier this year and jumped from my windows phone to an iPhone and have never needed to reboot outside of the last major iOS update. I'm not saying iOS is perfect but Andriod is a horrible platform that becomes more and more buggy over time and with each update, most people I know that have switched to iOS or windows can't believe how fast and responsive a phone can actually be.

#145 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   3099 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

I mean if you're technologically ignorant, can't clear you system cache, use stock launchers, hate customization, like Apple's stranglehold on you, think drinking coffee from local coffee shops makes you classy and/or need things spoon fed to you then IOS is the way to go.

#146 Lil Frier  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

I mean if you're technologically ignorant, can't clear you system cache, use stock launchers, hate customization, like Apple's stranglehold on you, think drinking coffee from local coffee shops makes you classy and/or need things spoon fed to you then IOS is the way to go.

Ehh, I don't feel that way. To me, I don't want to have to put as much effort into my phone as my PC. I don't want to have to deal with rooting the phone to get carrier bloatware off. I don't want to have to find a third-party UI because the experience I'm paying for is so cumbersome. If the thing's fundamentally flawed, why bother putting in effort to get it to act like what you want when you can just buy that?

All of the work to make Android enjoyable isn't worth it just so I can use Trillian. It's certainly not worth doing it 5 times so my mom, grandma, other grandma, step-grandpa, and others aren't on iOS. I'll let them sit in the kiddie pool where I don't have to babysit their phones 24/7, while enjoying a reasonably sound W10M experience.

Plus, I love that Lumias have good cameras and a camera button. It makes the photo-taking process much easier and better, speaking from the perspective of someone who doesn't usually want to take the time getting the camera open and taking multiple pictures to compensate for my not-so-steady hands.

#147 Kotor15   Okay kiddos, prepare to be schooled CAGiversary!   3099 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

Ehh, I don't feel that way. To me, I don't want to have to put as much effort into my phone as my PC. I don't want to have to deal with rooting the phone to get carrier bloatware off. I don't want to have to find a third-party UI because the experience I'm paying for is so cumbersome. If the thing's fundamentally flawed, why bother putting in effort to get it to act like what you want when you can just buy that?

All of the work to make Android enjoyable isn't worth it just so I can use Trillian. It's certainly not worth doing it 5 times so my mom, grandma, other grandma, step-grandpa, and others aren't on iOS. I'll let them sit in the kiddie pool where I don't have to babysit their phones 24/7, while enjoying a reasonably sound W10M experience.

Plus, I love that Lumias have good cameras and a camera button. It makes the photo-taking process much easier and better, speaking from the perspective of someone who doesn't usually want to take the time getting the camera open and taking multiple pictures to compensate for my not-so-steady hands.

If you just want to throw money at things that are already easy to use/user friendly that's cool. I like to customize to fit my needs and my speed. I'll put effort into something to get what I want out of it. Some people like to throw money at things that limit you but make you feel special with little/no effort. That's okay too... I guess.

#148 TheCochese   TheLegend CAGiversary!   13962 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

It's called stock Android, and it's a completely different world than you experienced.

#149 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40058 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

That is a nice thing about them. If only a few apps I really wanted were on Windows Phone I'd be really happy with it. 

#150 Lil Frier  

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

If you just want to throw money at things to make them easy to use that's cool. I like to customize to fit my needs and my speed. I'll put effort into something to get what I want out of it. Some people like to throw money at things that limit you but make you feel special with little/no effort. That's okay too... I guess.

Except where is the savings? I missed the part where Android flagships are cheaper than the competition. I got my Lumia 920 for $50 on-contract, and I got the $50 wireless charger for free with it. At that time, it was going to be $150-200 or so for a Galaxy S3 or One X, and I wasn't going to get a $50 accessory with it. I mean, it's looking like a Lumia 950 could be about $50 more off-contract than a Galaxy S5, but I'll take the $50 hit to get wireless charging, a better camera, microSD support, and a removable back/battery (the former more important for aesthetics than the latter for swapping batteries).