Steam Link & Steam Controller Available for Pre-order on Amazon

Oh boy! MSRP on a mass produced item that is being sold at multiple retailers!

You sir........is why CAG was created!

Pre-Order gets you Rocket League and Portal 2.  Rocket League is nice to get with this since it is a good game and still hasn't gone below $15.  

Says the fucking noob ass rookie.
So does with me being new have to do with knowing not to bother posting MSRP non deal stuff that is widely available? Because I am confused. I have never been to a jets pizza before so I would be a rookie there, but it doesnt mean I couldnt mock someone in line trying to order a big mac and be right in doing so.

Oh wait, I forgot! Youre just numbers and letters on a screen in the sea of the internet so I dont care. Smell ya later.

But since youre in a cranky mood maybe this will cheer you up.

Smurf-Eating-Baby1.jpg

So I have to run a 100 foot cable from my computer to my room for this since it suggest wired connection?

So does with me being new have to do with knowing not to bother posting MSRP non deal stuff that is widely available? Because I am confused. I have never been to a jets pizza before so I would be a rookie there, but it doesnt mean I couldnt mock someone in line trying to order a big mac and be right in doing so.

Oh wait, I forgot! Youre just numbers and letters on a screen in the sea of the internet so I dont care. Smell ya later.

But since youre in a cranky mood maybe this will cheer you up.

Smurf-Eating-Baby1.jpg
You're something else. Leave please.

So I have to run a 100 foot cable from my computer to my room for this since it suggest wired connection?
I believe the wired connection is regarding your network, not your PC. Wired connections are always superior, I would advise you to get some cable, a couple switches and wire up your place. Unless you are in an apartment or something, then you could hide wires from your router/switches behind trim, etc. A few years ago I wired my house with Ethernet and the ports are coupled in with cable outlets.

I haven't used a Steam Link as I have a gaming PC in my living room but I preordered the controller early and have had it for a few weeks, it is nice in the hands but it does get taking used to due to the odd placement of the ABXY buttons. Setting it up per game can be lengthy but once it's in place It works. All but the ABXY buttons are extremely loud when clicked. I have multiple small kids in the house and at night time quietness is a must, I will say this controller gives you the constant feeling that some one is going to hear this thing clicking over and over enough to wake them up.

So far the only type of game I'm comfortable using it with is games where a mouse would be used normally and competing isn't a factor. I've tried everything and I can't get the right touchpad to come even close to being responsive enough for third person games like Mad Max, The Witcher, etc

Oh boy! MSRP on a mass produced item that is being sold at multiple retailers!

You sir........is why CAG was created
Hey man. information is information. take what you will from it. Best buy still hasn't listed the controller or the link. A lot of people GCU and like preordering without putting anything down. The same could be said about xbox elite controller.

Well you can always try wifi fist before doing a cable. I do pretty well with Shield and Onlive when that was around over wifi. Obviously YMMV.

Wifi should be fine for most.  My wifi was not working so well so I got a cheap powerline kit from Amazon Warehouse Deals and it works wonders.  Set up in seconds, my connection never drops, and my speeds multiplied x10. This was for my main PC.  

I have always worked under the assumption that these disclosures are put on there due to the fact that there can be so many variances in the speed and quality of someone wifi network.

If you have a wifi network that isn't congested and has decent amount of throughput you should be fine. The same suggestion is listed for the Shield TV for In Home Streaming yet I have it on wifi and it works perfectly fine with no noticeable lag on either the video or the controls.

It depends on a number of factor though, including how much wifi traffic is around you so all you can really do is test for your self and see how it does.

I'm very excited to try the Steam Link, I've been using their Home Streaming since the day it came out in beta and it works pretty damn good.  The only thing is that I use it wired on my first floor and basement from my upstairs computer, just did a simple cable drop through the wall.  On "Beautiful" streaming settings I've seen the network usage go above 600Mbps on a Gigabit connection (just desktop switch).  

I already have my Steam Controller that I got in October, now I think I'll dip into a $50 extension of my PC with WAY less power use compared to my laptop downstairs.  Thanks for the heads up that Amazon had these.

PS I've tried it wirelessly, it works well, but 1080p without compression is out of the question unless you have a VERY ideal setup with Wireless 802.11ac router.

PPS (EDIT) Worth noting that you should not buy a Steam Controller expecting it to be a replacement of a dual stick controller like a DS4 or XB1 controller.  It's very different and should be thought of as a KB/M replacement.  Took me about a week to get used to it, but once you 'get it' the light bulb will go off and you'll realize just how damn good the customization is.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back