CAGcast #427: Hail to the King, Candy

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Halo 5 Warzone, Ash vs. Evil Dead, Activision's King acquisition, Yoshi’s Woolly World, Superbeat: Xonic, and so much more!
Download (1 hours 14 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/3779481-cagcast-427-hail-to-the-king-candy

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code cagcast

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro -Call on Me - Eric Prydz (iTunes)

Outro -  MASK Commercial

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I started dating after discussing our love of the Evil Dead Trilogy. 

She is an Army of Darkness person, and I am an Evil Dead 2 person. We have argued extensively over this topic, and I still think she is wrong.  :rofl:

Evil Dead 2 is by far a more impressive movie in terms of what was accomplished with the budget. 

Evil Dead 2 had a budget of 3.5 million while Army of Darkness had a budget of 11 million. 

Army of Darkness, while a good movie, falls flat in the fact that it is trying to be a big blockbuster movie. It's too flashy and tries to do way too much in terms of special effects and narrative. The story just becomes muddled and uninteresting by the end of the movie. 

On the other hand, the Evil Dead 2 has a much smaller scope and blends slapstick comedy and horror perfectly. On a spectrum, Evil Dead 1 is on the end of Horror. Army of Darkness is on the end of Comedy. Evil Dead 2 is right dab in the middle. 

EDIT: 

If you like the Evil Dead series check out Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell. Such an awesome movie. 

Good job but no help for my children's accounts on Xbone. They constantly ask for password verifications & I just want a one time thing so I never need to remember anything, like my original account. I have to erase & create a new child account again because the email verification won't arrive at my second email and no phone to verify since I'm currently living abroad & avoid phones as much as possible. Don't make me get all Glen Close boiling rabbit on you! Seriously though, help if you can.

Cheapie do you play Halo with your son? I forgot about the no split screen multiplayer but I thought they would somehow have it for co-op, dumbass... I'm planning on buying the Elite Console when I'm in the states after the holidays so my kids can co-op with me from another room. Are you planning to do something similar with your son & any advice on how it would work. Like, could I sign in on both consoles simultaneously and my kids use their child accounts on one while I'm on the other? Could I use my digital games on my account on both consoles or is there something to force a second purchase when I want to play multiplayer or online co-op with my kids?

Weird, with that new Ash vs Evil Dead show my friend mentioned it and it got me thinking i've only ever seen the first movie.

I just watched II and Army of Darkness for the first time. Interested in hearing what Cheapy thinks of either if he watches too.

Loved the show as usual! I have two suggestions for Watch This Bitches. First is a western/horror with Kurt Russell called Bone Tomahawk, great movie!

Second, if you don't watch already you need to check out the Comedy Central show Nathan For you, it's hilarious.

I actually like Evil Dead 1 more than 2, even if the latter is more refined. I've yet to watch Army of Darkness. But I like Bruce Campbell's tv works more, like Brisco County and Jack of All Trades.

Kind of odd that Nintendo really wants friendly fire on. I guess Shipwreck and the Mrs. have not gotten to the parts in the game where you need to pull s- like that (if there is such a part). The first Smash Bros. had the friendly fire option.

I'll got to head to the pharmacy one of these days for cheap candy. I only had a bag of gummy worms during the weekend.

Not a huge transgression, but Shipwreck said "Japanese" so many times in the discussion about Superbeat: Xonic that I've gotta point this out. Xonic and DJ Max are Korean! (Xonic developer Nurijoy, comprised of former employees of DJ Max maker Pentavision.) Heck, for a long while there, DJ Max was arguably the crown jewel of the domestic Korean game industry. Credit where it's due, eh?

Although, they usually include a few songs in English and Japanese in addition to all the Korean ones, so I guess Shipwreck can be excused this time. 

Love the comic book talk.  Maybe do some "read this bitches".  (always looking for good recommendations for comics/gr. novels)

I also like Evil Dead 1 the best - i personally think it's genuinely scary.  But need to re-watch Army of Darkness.  Just had another kid who the wife wanted to name Asher.  I couldn't veto that, especially since I figure we can call him Ash.

Oh, multiple that's what she said "jokes".  Nothing like playing to the lowest common denominator.

Playing the Halo 5 campaign is fun but it's the first Halo as a story I didn't like. I loved all the Halo epics and had just played them again recently with the Master Chief Collection. Podcast Unlocked #218 had an excellent breakdown of why the story didn't work. I lay the failure at the feet of new Lead Writer Brian Reed, whose comic book and video game writing I never enjoyed.

Cheapy and Shipwreck, why did you choose Fallout 4 on PS4? The Xbox One is the one that will have mod support, so that's a clear advantage one platform has over the other.

Very happy about the addition of comic book talk. Thank you Ship for going each week to the comic book store. Nice addition to the show.

I tip my hat to Shipwreck for the heads-up on Superbeat Xonic.  I'll wishlist it for later, because (this is something I never thought I'd say in 2015) I've already got too many Vita rhythm games on my plate right now.

Cheapy saying that the console versions will be more supported than the PC... yeah, unless a giant fiasco like Skyrim on the PS3 happens again. Remember that? I'm not saying it's likely, but it goes to show that consoles being stable is not a guarantee. The console version is the right choice for these guys, though, since they largely do not care about modding. Because of the volatile nature of Bethesda games, consoles are definitely the way to go if you're not going to use mods. Will be interesting to see the extent of mods on the consoles. I doubt it will be anywhere close to PC modding, but it may have some good stuff.

Wombat, the horde mode in Halo is called Firefight, not Fireteam. You even got the name right in a tweet before this podcast, but still got it wrong here! (No, this really doesn't matter at all.)

Wombat-
Your King Candy voice was a dead ringer for Charlie-In-The-Box from the old Rudolph claymation show.
Uncanny, and very odd.
Loved it!

Really enjoying the comic book talk, and this particular exchange had me laughing:

Shipwreck: You guys should read comics.
Cheapy and Wombat: I don't know...I don't have time...plus...I don't know if I want to...
Shipwreck: I can give you my free digital codes.
Cheapy and Wombat: Okay!

And that's when Cheap Ass Readers was born.

As for the Marvel #1s, Shipwreck is pretty much right in that Marvel just likes to put out new #1s. They recently did a relaunch of sorts and a lot of chatter online points to them eventually moving to a TV-like format of having "seasons" of comics each year, so you would essentially have a new #1 at the beginning of the year for each series.

bread's done
Back