* * * * - 1 votes

CAGcast #429: Explosive Gas

#1 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18055 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

The gang talks Kotaku black-listings, The Lost Arcade film,  Fallout 4, Toys to Life floundering, comics, and oh so much more!
Download (1 hours 25 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code cagcast
med_gallery_3_5631_47744.jpg

I separated the Kotaku discussion just in case you wanted easy access:

Listen on Soundcloud.com

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - LAURA BRANIGAN - GLORIA - REMIX

Outro -  Thunder Punch He-Man

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

#2 ZombieJeebus   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   155 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

ZombieJeebus

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hooray, new CAGcast!  Downloading now.

#3 tepiddeath   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   30 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

tepiddeath

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:37 PM

W00t!

#4 bickle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   844 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

You were kind of way off on Marvel Unlimited. They don't bait and switch like that in my experience, and I've read some pretty long continuous runs. I'm guessing that you were reading some pretty old story arcs and they just didn't have the whole run available yet. There are some big gaps, but they are constantly getting backfilled. The main problems with MU are 1) the app is really buggy, at least for iOS. YMMV on that. 2) The guided view isn't nearly as good as Comixology. But it's a whole lot cheaper, so there is a trade off.

While the ipad pro would be pretty sweet for comics, Comixology's guided view on an ipad is pretty much perfect.

It's a pretty expensive hobby. Far too expensive for it to grow much.

#5 mcdope66  

mcdope66

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Mythbusters cell phones at gas station (myth busted).  But watch out for static.

Not allowed to post links yet, but: "cell phone at gas staion mythbusters".

#6 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but consider me not a fan of the increase in comic talk. Only time I want to hear about Marvel on a video game podcast is when it's followed by Vs. Capcom.

#7 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

Wombat was right. Marvel Unlimited would almost never have a complete run of a storyline. It was frustrating to read a story, they skipped the conclusion, and the next available issue would be a new arc. Like Wombat, this was my experience several years ago so maybe they changed it.

#8 Condor80   Let's Go Mets!!! CAGiversary!   4475 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

The Lego keychains are "only" $5, not $10, but yeah they are definitely competing with their toys.  It's not like they can sell the play sets at 2 cents a piece when the actual sets are over 10 cents per piece.

#9 Curufinwe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1100 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:27 PM

Rise of the TR was already being made when MS bought temporary exclusivity.

#10 Captain Wrong   ... CAGiversary!   667 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Captain Wrong

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

On a positive note, I liked Ship's gas station story. Kind of reminded me of the "Citizen's Arrest" episode of the Andy Griffith Show.

#11 Darth Sontin   Ostrava of Boletaria CAGiversary!   339 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Darth Sontin

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

Wombat, you can wait in Fallout 4. You just have to find a chair or bench to sit down on. The game never tells you, so I only found out by accident.

#12 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18055 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but consider me not a fan of the increase in comic talk. Only time I want to hear about Marvel on a video game podcast is when it's followed by Vs. Capcom.

We will keep it moving.  Unless I start buying comics.  Then you're fucked.

Rise of the TR was already being made when MS bought temporary exclusivity.

I'm sure they started on it immediately after the last one.  Doesn't mean it was going to get finished.

#13 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7179 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

Sucks that the "license" lapsed out.

CheapyD I think you were hit by a burst of nostalgia and your lost youth. I have been crying a bit more regarding 1990s documentaries. I've an entire afternoon watching Japanese Coke ads and I'm not 30.

Definitely agree that Harry's is a great present for hairy people or for Hannukah. If Malcolm in the Middle was still on, Bryan Cranston would be their spokesperson!

Wombat, are you using individual figures as Hannukah presents by day? BTW, Agents of SHIELD, pretty damn cool. Did you see the Chairman in the last episode? Do you think the reveal about HYDRA would fit perfectly into the Doctor Strange movie that's coming out?

I stopped buying new comics 10 years ago because they were reaching $3. I didn't mind buying Simpsons or Futurama comics at the price (I think they still are), but two Spider-Man series, X-Men, Avengers, does add up. When I do buy comics, it's usually for $1 each. I did collect the first 30 issues of Green Arrow (1989) because of that. I do appreciate 1980s comics and glad they're of much better quality than the 90s-now and so much cheaper. Perhaps Shipwreck should up his game and read more Fantagraphics or something if he does tire of the superheroes.

Winter is coming, so get your snow tires ready:

#14 Curufinwe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1100 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:33 AM

We will keep it moving.  Unless I start buying comics.  Then you're fucked.

I'm sure they started on it immediately after the last one.  Doesn't mean it was going to get finished.

When was the last time a publisher didn't make a sequel to a game that sold 8.5 million copies?  Keep in mind you're talking about Square Enix who are able to fund AAA multiplatform titles that sold (or will sell) a lot less than Tomb Raider did like the Deus EX titles.

And RotR had already been in development for over a year when MS paid them to delay the PC and PS4 versions.  There's no benefit to non-Xbox owners except that the PC and PS4 versions might benefit from more time to test and polish the game.

#15 wendellmn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

wendellmn

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:41 AM

I have lego dimensions, it is your standard lego game, but I do like the different sets. The doctor who level pack was awesome and you could tell it was created by people with the fans in mind. I enjoy these far more than my amiibo figures, which I have a few of. I was never interested in the skylanders, but have seen the games played by my nephews. The cost of the lego sets are pretty comparable with the price of other Legos. I have not been disappointed.

#16 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1431 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:56 AM

I'm not currently reading any comics (just watch the shows), but I don't mind the comic talk.

I saw the ipad pro in a store today. It really is big. A bit too big to hold comfortably imo. I have an 8" tablet which I find good to travel with, and the larger 10" to use around the house. Larger than that doesn't seem like it'd be very convenient.

I got the special Star Wars PS4 as well. I'm personally glad it doesn't make any sounds. That's nice once, then gets real annoying quick. I thought the controller was ugly when I first saw it too, but I think it looks better in person.

#17 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

One part left out of the Tomb Raider discussion was at the time Microsoft bought the exclusivity Sony was scheduled to release Uncharted 4 this holiday. Xbox wanted something to counter that and maybe distract the fan base. Uncharted got delayed until 2016.

Frankly, I'm a little sick of the whining about Tomb Raider exclusivity. Sony did the same thing with Street Fighter 5. You don't hear nearly the same amount of ranting. It sucks for gamers but that's how the business is and always been. Remember when Atari was getting Pac-Man and Intellivision wasn't?

#18 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

I have lego dimensions, it is your standard lego game...

And that's why most of us have so little interest in it. It's just a regular Lego videogame with the Toys To Life bolted on to it to make money. I'd rather buy Lego Jurassic Park or Lego Avengers instead. Like Cheapy observed, I don't think many people are buying it and it'll be heavily discounted in the spring.

#19 Viper139   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   220 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Viper139

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Hey Guys great podcast,

Just to let you know Wombat if you sit down you can wait anywhere in Fallout 4

#20 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7179 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

Did you guys know that Lynda Carter, YES HER, is in Fallout 4 and sings several songs for the soundtrack? Woah.

#21 wendellmn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

wendellmn

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

And that's why most of us have so little interest in it. It's just a regular Lego videogame with the Toys To Life bolted on to it to make money. I'd rather buy Lego Jurassic Park or Lego Avengers instead. Like Cheapy observed, I don't think many people are buying it and it'll be heavily discounted in the spring.

No arguments, the nerd in me was willing to pay for the doctor who stuff. (Among other sets, lol)

#22 bigkrev13   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

The reason Star Wars Battlefront doesn't have a single player campaign is because Battlefield 4 launched broken (and stayed that way for a long time), and Battlefield Hardline had to be delayed 6 months.  Star Wars was a game that could NOT be delayed because of marketing deals with Sony and for the movie, and could NOT launch broken.  They had to make something they knew they could make perfect in the time window they had.

#23 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7179 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like Microsoft was pretty lazy regarding Tomb Raider compared to Sony with Star Wars.

#24 AshesofWake   chum is fum CAGiversary!   4672 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

AshesofWake

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:06 AM

Wombat, as another user said above, you can wait in Fallout 4. Just have to sit on a chair to do it. What's realy bullshit is that I had to google to find this out and the game never tells you about it. Fuck i miss manuals with games.

#25 usickenme   I'm the a-hole CAGiversary!   2559 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

usickenme

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

Wombat, as another user said above, you can wait in Fallout 4. Just have to sit on a chair to do it. What's realy bullshit is that I had to google to find this out and the game never tells you about it. Fuck i miss manuals with games.

It's mentioned in a loading screen.

#26 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7179 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

Don't these new games have manuals built into the disc? I know Nintendo's done that.

#27 spid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   129 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

Tomb Raider would have probably have been better serviced by putting it out in Sept.  However, I do think they may see some pick up in Dec plus they still have the PC release to look forward to so there are lots of chances to have success.  I am not sure about you guys but I am seeing lots of ads for the game.  It is all about what you watch in these kinds of things. 

We may have a good idea of what kind of sales the Req Packs are doing by watching how much money is going into the Halo Championship prize pool.  So far they have added $700,000 from the sales of the packs.  I am not sure what percentage of sales, but I doubt they are giving more than small percentage of overall sales.

http://www.gamespot....a/1100-6432419/

I like the comic talk, but I've been reading comics for years so take it with a grain of salt.  I buy my comics, physical copies, online so I never pay retail prices for almost all of my purchases.

#28 xtreme_Zr2   Mr. Sonny Crockett CAGiversary!   1117 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

The brief uncomfortable silence by Cheapy and Wombat after Ship mentioned Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival was appreciated. Although as a Wii U owner even I think the game looks like a turd.

Great show as always. Really enjoyed the Fallout discussion.

#29 JimmySkinny  

JimmySkinny

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

really sad we didn't hear Wombat say "it's a razor Harry" in this week's episode.

#30 koheed  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:34 PM

I am an engineer that works in a fuel lab for an automotive manufacturer. In our test cells we spend a lot of money to minimize the chance of creating sparks around flammable fuel. We have pressurized test carts that house our electronics, we use non-sparking beryllium tools, any metal that sparks is grounded, and we do not allow cell phones in the test cells. Granted all this is due to extreme circumstances, and part of my job is make sure that there is virtually no release of hydrocarbons during the refueling process, I still will not use my phone outside of the vehicle when filling up. Do I actually think anything will happen? No, but I also would trust an orthodontist with crooked teeth.