CAGcast #429: Explosive Gas

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Kotaku black-listings, The Lost Arcade film,  Fallout 4, Toys to Life floundering, comics, and oh so much more!
Download (1 hours 25 minutes) - iTunes - Stitcher - RSS

https://audioboom.com/boos/3835916-cagcast-429-explosive-gas/

Get $5 off your order (with free shipping) at http://www.harrys.com with coupon code cagcast

I separated the Kotaku discussion just in case you wanted easy access:

https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/clip-from-cagcast-429-kotaku-blacklist-discussion

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - LAURA BRANIGAN - GLORIA - REMIX

Outro -  Thunder Punch He-Man

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
You were kind of way off on Marvel Unlimited. They don't bait and switch like that in my experience, and I've read some pretty long continuous runs. I'm guessing that you were reading some pretty old story arcs and they just didn't have the whole run available yet. There are some big gaps, but they are constantly getting backfilled. The main problems with MU are 1) the app is really buggy, at least for iOS. YMMV on that. 2) The guided view isn't nearly as good as Comixology. But it's a whole lot cheaper, so there is a trade off.

While the ipad pro would be pretty sweet for comics, Comixology's guided view on an ipad is pretty much perfect.

It's a pretty expensive hobby. Far too expensive for it to grow much.

Mythbusters cell phones at gas station (myth busted).  But watch out for static.

Not allowed to post links yet, but: "cell phone at gas staion mythbusters".

I'm probably in the minority, but consider me not a fan of the increase in comic talk. Only time I want to hear about Marvel on a video game podcast is when it's followed by Vs. Capcom.

Wombat was right. Marvel Unlimited would almost never have a complete run of a storyline. It was frustrating to read a story, they skipped the conclusion, and the next available issue would be a new arc. Like Wombat, this was my experience several years ago so maybe they changed it.

The Lego keychains are "only" $5, not $10, but yeah they are definitely competing with their toys.  It's not like they can sell the play sets at 2 cents a piece when the actual sets are over 10 cents per piece.

Wombat, you can wait in Fallout 4. You just have to find a chair or bench to sit down on. The game never tells you, so I only found out by accident.

I'm probably in the minority, but consider me not a fan of the increase in comic talk. Only time I want to hear about Marvel on a video game podcast is when it's followed by Vs. Capcom.
We will keep it moving. Unless I start buying comics. Then you're fucked.

Rise of the TR was already being made when MS bought temporary exclusivity.
I'm sure they started on it immediately after the last one. Doesn't mean it was going to get finished.

Sucks that the "license" lapsed out.

CheapyD I think you were hit by a burst of nostalgia and your lost youth. I have been crying a bit more regarding 1990s documentaries. I've an entire afternoon watching Japanese Coke ads and I'm not 30.

Definitely agree that Harry's is a great present for hairy people or for Hannukah. If Malcolm in the Middle was still on, Bryan Cranston would be their spokesperson!

Wombat, are you using individual figures as Hannukah presents by day? BTW, Agents of SHIELD, pretty damn cool. Did you see the Chairman in the last episode? Do you think the reveal about HYDRA would fit perfectly into the Doctor Strange movie that's coming out?

I stopped buying new comics 10 years ago because they were reaching $3. I didn't mind buying Simpsons or Futurama comics at the price (I think they still are), but two Spider-Man series, X-Men, Avengers, does add up. When I do buy comics, it's usually for $1 each. I did collect the first 30 issues of Green Arrow (1989) because of that. I do appreciate 1980s comics and glad they're of much better quality than the 90s-now and so much cheaper. Perhaps Shipwreck should up his game and read more Fantagraphics or something if he does tire of the superheroes.

Winter is coming, so get your snow tires ready:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiAarBYBCzw

We will keep it moving. Unless I start buying comics. Then you're fucked.

I'm sure they started on it immediately after the last one. Doesn't mean it was going to get finished.
When was the last time a publisher didn't make a sequel to a game that sold 8.5 million copies? Keep in mind you're talking about Square Enix who are able to fund AAA multiplatform titles that sold (or will sell) a lot less than Tomb Raider did like the Deus EX titles.

And RotR had already been in development for over a year when MS paid them to delay the PC and PS4 versions. There's no benefit to non-Xbox owners except that the PC and PS4 versions might benefit from more time to test and polish the game.

I have lego dimensions, it is your standard lego game, but I do like the different sets. The doctor who level pack was awesome and you could tell it was created by people with the fans in mind. I enjoy these far more than my amiibo figures, which I have a few of. I was never interested in the skylanders, but have seen the games played by my nephews. The cost of the lego sets are pretty comparable with the price of other Legos. I have not been disappointed.

I'm not currently reading any comics (just watch the shows), but I don't mind the comic talk.

I saw the ipad pro in a store today. It really is big. A bit too big to hold comfortably imo. I have an 8" tablet which I find good to travel with, and the larger 10" to use around the house. Larger than that doesn't seem like it'd be very convenient.

I got the special Star Wars PS4 as well. I'm personally glad it doesn't make any sounds. That's nice once, then gets real annoying quick. I thought the controller was ugly when I first saw it too, but I think it looks better in person.

One part left out of the Tomb Raider discussion was at the time Microsoft bought the exclusivity Sony was scheduled to release Uncharted 4 this holiday. Xbox wanted something to counter that and maybe distract the fan base. Uncharted got delayed until 2016.

Frankly, I'm a little sick of the whining about Tomb Raider exclusivity. Sony did the same thing with Street Fighter 5. You don't hear nearly the same amount of ranting. It sucks for gamers but that's how the business is and always been. Remember when Atari was getting Pac-Man and Intellivision wasn't?

I have lego dimensions, it is your standard lego game...
And that's why most of us have so little interest in it. It's just a regular Lego videogame with the Toys To Life bolted on to it to make money. I'd rather buy Lego Jurassic Park or Lego Avengers instead. Like Cheapy observed, I don't think many people are buying it and it'll be heavily discounted in the spring.

Hey Guys great podcast,

Just to let you know Wombat if you sit down you can wait anywhere in Fallout 4

And that's why most of us have so little interest in it. It's just a regular Lego videogame with the Toys To Life bolted on to it to make money. I'd rather buy Lego Jurassic Park or Lego Avengers instead. Like Cheapy observed, I don't think many people are buying it and it'll be heavily discounted in the spring.
No arguments, the nerd in me was willing to pay for the doctor who stuff. (Among other sets, lol)

The reason Star Wars Battlefront doesn't have a single player campaign is because Battlefield 4 launched broken (and stayed that way for a long time), and Battlefield Hardline had to be delayed 6 months.  Star Wars was a game that could NOT be delayed because of marketing deals with Sony and for the movie, and could NOT launch broken.  They had to make something they knew they could make perfect in the time window they had.

Wombat, as another user said above, you can wait in Fallout 4. Just have to sit on a chair to do it. What's realy bullshit is that I had to google to find this out and the game never tells you about it. fuck i miss manuals with games.

Wombat, as another user said above, you can wait in Fallout 4. Just have to sit on a chair to do it. What's realy bullshit is that I had to google to find this out and the game never tells you about it. fuck i miss manuals with games.
It's mentioned in a loading screen.

Tomb Raider would have probably have been better serviced by putting it out in Sept.  However, I do think they may see some pick up in Dec plus they still have the PC release to look forward to so there are lots of chances to have success.  I am not sure about you guys but I am seeing lots of ads for the game.  It is all about what you watch in these kinds of things. 

We may have a good idea of what kind of sales the Req Packs are doing by watching how much money is going into the Halo Championship prize pool.  So far they have added $700,000 from the sales of the packs.  I am not sure what percentage of sales, but I doubt they are giving more than small percentage of overall sales.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-microtransaction-sales-still-rising-now-rea/1100-6432419/

I like the comic talk, but I've been reading comics for years so take it with a grain of salt.  I buy my comics, physical copies, online so I never pay retail prices for almost all of my purchases.

The brief uncomfortable silence by Cheapy and Wombat after Ship mentioned Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival was appreciated. Although as a Wii U owner even I think the game looks like a turd.

Great show as always. Really enjoyed the Fallout discussion.

I am an engineer that works in a fuel lab for an automotive manufacturer. In our test cells we spend a lot of money to minimize the chance of creating sparks around flammable fuel. We have pressurized test carts that house our electronics, we use non-sparking beryllium tools, any metal that sparks is grounded, and we do not allow cell phones in the test cells. Granted all this is due to extreme circumstances, and part of my job is make sure that there is virtually no release of hydrocarbons during the refueling process, I still will not use my phone outside of the vehicle when filling up. Do I actually think anything will happen? No, but I also would trust an orthodontist with crooked teeth.

I've actually seen a bunch of Rise of the Tomb Raider commercials on Hulu, but it's part of a commercial for Microsoft demonstrating their exclusives (Gears of War, Halo 5, Tomb Raider). But I have seen it a lot.

Call me ignorant, but I always assumed you couldn't use a cell phone while pumping gas. In fact most gas stations where I live have signs specifically stating that cell phone use while pumping gas isn't allowed. Shipwreck is a criminal  :whistle2:$

Yeah i'm skipping on Battlefront for now. Not enough content and the season pass and DLC stuff is a little gross. Especially when other developers have stepped up and are trying new things to not split the player base.

For me the game doesn't seem like a Battlefront or Battlefield game. No Single Player or massive conquest style battles - just AT-AT assault with only four maps, a bunch of "defeat waves of enemies" game-types, three minute on rails Speederbike levels and some hero vs hero levels.

Will get much later on sale and when theres more content out.

Waiting in FO4 is indeed explained on a loading screen tip. It's incredibly dumb that you have to sit down. I don't care if it doesn't make sense to stand for 12 hours, I'm not doing some actual role-playing here. Waiting used to be incredibly convenient compared to sleeping, since you could do it anywhere. But now, they're about equal. And since you get an XP buff for sleeping, you might as well sleep instead.

I was able to fit in the elevator with the Brotherhood of Steel guy Cheapy was talking about. I didn't have any wackiness there. But elevators are kind of wonky. Any followers you have are teleported inside when you start one, and that leads to potential issues. When I was still using Dogmeat, he was teleported under the elevator once. I had to use console commands to warp him out. (He probably would have eventually been teleported to me, but I didn't want to wait for that.) But, yeah, that kind of "jank" doesn't bother me in the slightest. Mildly annoying is the worst it ever gets.

I both frequent Giant Bomb and listen to The Patch (the RT podcast where they disparaged Jeff Gerstmann). I was really disappointed that they did that. It was honestly dumb and made them sound very immature. An extra layer of ridiculousness to the scene that you guys didn't mention (probably didn't notice) is that two of the hosts, Gus and Meg, were actually wearing their plastic Pip-Boys from the special edition on their arms during that podcast. That really drove home the "sponsored by Fallout 4" angle.

I should note that I absolutely love FO4 and disagree with most of Jeff's complaints. Still think RT was in the wrong.

I like GiantBomb but i was upset with the FO4 review for the consoles. Sorry but it's not a 3/5. 

I listened again to GB podcast and it drove me nuts. He didn't use VATs for the first half of the game, didn't do any gun mods, stopped collecting stuff, didn't bother with companions. I swear someone complained about encumbrance. I understand not wanting that stuff. But a lot of us play because of that stuff! Its an RPG, not a FPS.

But the most of all what pissed me off was someone said they should scale it down to get rid of jank. MY fuckEN GOD!! NOOOOooo! I don't want Fallout Call of Duty. In a world of finite resources i would much rather have a game the size of FO4 with all the cool stuff than a world 1/10 the size with very little Jank.  Any major bugs will get patched out.

Waiting in FO4 is indeed explained on a loading screen tip. It's incredibly dumb that you have to sit down. I don't care if it doesn't make sense to stand for 12 hours, I'm not doing some actual role-playing here. Waiting used to be incredibly convenient compared to sleeping, since you could do it anywhere. But now, they're about equal. And since you get an XP buff for sleeping, you might as well sleep instead.

I was able to fit in the elevator with the Brotherhood of Steel guy Cheapy was talking about. I didn't have any wackiness there. But elevators are kind of wonky. Any followers you have are teleported inside when you start one, and that leads to potential issues. When I was still using Dogmeat, he was teleported under the elevator once. I had to use console commands to warp him out. (He probably would have eventually been teleported to me, but I didn't want to wait for that.) But, yeah, that kind of "jank" doesn't bother me in the slightest. Mildly annoying is the worst it ever gets.

I both frequent Giant Bomb and listen to The Patch (the RT podcast where they disparaged Jeff Gerstmann). I was really disappointed that they did that. It was honestly dumb and made them sound very immature. An extra layer of ridiculousness to the scene that you guys didn't mention (probably didn't notice) is that two of the hosts, Gus and Meg, were actually wearing their plastic Pip-Boys from the special edition on their arms during that podcast. That really drove home the "sponsored by Fallout 4" angle.

I should note that I absolutely love FO4 and disagree with most of Jeff's complaints. Still think RT was in the wrong.
Yup, that the funniest thing about it.

CUFxuro.png

I'll risk the nerd fury: Too much time is being taken on shaq fu-ing comic books. It's a huge drain on the middle of the show and goes on endlessly. Even cheapy can barely contain his disdain.  Wombat and Ship shouldn't be able to dominate the whole show with their 'I wish I was still a child so I still collect  shaq fui-ing childish things' discussions.

As stated above RotTR exclusivity was purchased well into the development cycle and the only thing Microsoft paid for was to delay the core audience of the series, PC and PS4 owners, from getting the game.  The theory on this deal is Microsoft wanted a product to compete with Uncharted and wanted full exclusivity but Square wasn't willing to do this but Square saw a benefit in delaying the launch of a similar product on the PS4 as delaying it would mean not launching next to Uncharted, in essence a timed exclusive deal made sense for both parties.  What they didn't expect was for Sony to delay Uncharted which basically made the whole deal look incredibly silly.

I'm sure the contract stated the game had to be released "holiday 2015" which is why it was forced to be released next to other heavy hitters.  My guess is the game was supposed to release early to mid October to bridge the gap between Forza 6 and Halo 5, similar release date to Sunset Overdrive last year, but delays pushed it into November and as Aaron Greenberg said they viewed Fallout 4 as the weakest of the November releases, which it appears they were very wrong.  Side note, Sunset Overdrive also bombed and it didn't release next to a heavy hitter so unsure if the release date would have really made a difference, maybe there isn't an audience for these types of games on the Xbox unless it has "gears" in the title.

What they should have done is just delayed the release to March 18th or around there to keep the spirit of the deal in tact, but as I said above I think they were contractually obligated to release this year so here we are.  I hope the deal doesn't damage the ip to the point they quit making them or worse close down Crystal Dynamics, but I guess time will tell.

Not sure if this is a GAGbag thing or where that even goes but here it is.

At what point do gaming companies start making abridged versions of these huge ass open world games?

I guess the point of open world is I can go and do what I want, but when I see thousands of ?s on my screen I am more likely to just give up on a game then go through it quickly. what if there were a feature or a DLC to just give me a streamlined version of game, maybe some of the best side quests maybe options to auto select my traits or skills based on a preference I set at beginning of the game. I don't have time to read all this shit and experiment with different stuff or help people deliver their mail. Just give me the best of at a semi-optimum build so I can get through and enjoy the game and actually see the ending. There are too many damn games!

Is this a realistic path in the not so distant future given that the average age of people who play these games is increasing and as a society we demand immediate results with minimum effort?

I'll risk the nerd fury: Too much time is being taken on shaq fu-ing comic books. It's a huge drain on the middle of the show and goes on endlessly. Even cheapy can barely contain his disdain. Wombat and Ship shouldn't be able to dominate the whole show with their 'I wish I was still a child so I still collect shaq fui-ing childish things' discussions.
I don't hate the comic book stuff but it does seem to drag some days. I enjoy it more when it ties into a contemporary movie, game, show. Like if we were talking about Flash comics, I would be all over that Shit, Flash is sooo good.

bread's done
Back