'Humans Need Not Apply' or Robots are taking our jobs!

hQa13HQ.jpg

I just saw this.  A Chinese company 3D printed an apartment building.  I'm sure it won't meet US building codes but these are proof of concept.  I see no reason that they won't be able to meet US standards eventually.  So here's my prediction of the construction industry in 2030: A 3D printer prints concrete over steel re-barb.  A robot fork lift picks it up and takes it to a waiting truck.  That driverless truck goes to the construction site where another robot forklift takes the building piece off and a robot arm places the piece in the correct location.  The factory has only a couple of employees watching a bank of monitors and sensors to make sure everything is going smoothly.  The trucks have a couple of humans watching banks of monitors as well.  The construction site has far fewer people as well...most of which are just watching to make sure the machines are doing their jobs correctly. 

Of course there are the "high paying and technical robot repair jobs" that people always claim are coming.  No need for those, when the robots breakdown, the automated robot factory 3d prints a new one and melts down the old one.

http://time.com/3674557/3d-printed-apartment-building-winsun/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqfWN-9zHE

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the tech will get better so I'm not saying "Haha, that'll never happen!" but, man, the details of that 'mansion' look like garbage.  From a distance it seems sort of impressive but the interior shots and closeups make it looks like it was crudely hacked from blocks of styrofoam.

Was just reading an article this morning predicting that within 20-30 years 50% of all jobs in Japan will be done by robots. I am not sure if this is a stretch or not, but I fully believe its coming and everyone acts like I am crazy for it. I recall sitting around with an Uncle who runs a manufacturing plant a few years back at a BBQ shooting the shit on the economy, tech and how things were changing. He and all my other family members laughed at me and treated me like an idiot for saying this would be an issue over the next 30-50 years, everyone laughs at me and treats me like an idiot when I talk about this. But IMO anyone who is paying attention sees that between robots and 3D printers we are about to have the second great industrial revolution....just this time it will be people leaving the work force in droves.

Any cashier jobs, any driving/delivering jobs, basic service industry jobs, and many manufacturing jobs will all be extinct as 3D printers and robots do things faster, cheaper and more effectively. Sadly instead of updating our economy to ease us into the next tech driven economy we are doing nothing. I can not even imagine how bad the fighting is going to be when we have a ton of people out of work and in need of assistance and a ton of rich people angry because "They are paying all the taxes" for the non working slobs....even if the slobs arnt working because those at the top replaced us with machines. Makes me glad my wife works in the public sector in a hard to replace position.

Was just reading an article this morning predicting that within 20-30 years 50% of all jobs in Japan will be done by robots. I am not sure if this is a stretch or not, but I fully believe its coming and everyone acts like I am crazy for it. I recall sitting around with an Uncle who runs a manufacturing plant a few years back at a BBQ shooting the shit on the economy, tech and how things were changing. He and all my other family members laughed at me and treated me like an idiot for saying this would be an issue over the next 30-50 years, everyone laughs at me and treats me like an idiot when I talk about this. But IMO anyone who is paying attention sees that between robots and 3D printers we are about to have the second great industrial revolution....just this time it will be people leaving the work force in droves.

Any cashier jobs, any driving/delivering jobs, basic service industry jobs, and many manufacturing jobs will all be extinct as 3D printers and robots do things faster, cheaper and more effectively. Sadly instead of updating our economy to ease us into the next tech driven economy we are doing nothing. I can not even imagine how bad the fighting is going to be when we have a ton of people out of work and in need of assistance and a ton of rich people angry because "They are paying all the taxes" for the non working slobs....even if the slobs arnt working because those at the top replaced us with machines. Makes me glad my wife works in the public sector in a hard to replace position.
The rich people will likely ask for our willful obedience to get our welfare at that point. I mean, literally a loyalty oath to the rich, not the United States. Heck, they may require people implant a chip under there skin as part of this.

As someone who works in manufacturing, I've noticed that at least 80% of our downtime comes from robotic and mechanical failures. That plus the huge upfront cost prevents many businesses from transitioning away from human workers. Not to mention the various jobs that robots simply cannot perform yet.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Walmart cutting 7,000 jobs to replace with "cash recycler" machines.

http://fortune.com/2016/09/01/walmart-job-cuts-layoffs/

Robotic "sewbots" will bring the garment industry back to the developed world and wipe out many jobs in poor countries.  They aren't great jobs but they're all a lot of these people have.

http://qz.com/727102/robots-are-set-to-take-the-jobs-of-millions-of-asian-workers-in-the-coming-years/

This chart from the article is really insightful.  When (not if) the sewbots are out of R&D, Bangladesh's total exports will consist of just the space between the blue and red lines (total exports minus clothing exports).

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/N16A1V1tg

I think full strong AI was created over 20 years ago and ended the cold war. The economic and military benefits with even the computers back then would have been tremendous. Way way more cost effective than landing on the moon.

As George Lopez once said Those who complain about undocumented immigrants taking their jobs: what kind of loser are you if you are competing with an undocumented immigrant for a job?

bread's done
Back