USA Today runs pic of the DS?

WildWop

CAGiversary!
Link

I would think it weird that a newspaper would run a fake mockup, and the timing (start of E3) would be odd for a mockup to float through the news.

credit [www.gizmodo.com] for the link[/url]

looks pretty nice
11-nintendo-inside.jpg

"DS has separate slots for current Game Boy Advance cartridges and new, smaller DS game cards."

It looks like the "main" screen is on top and maybe the touch screen is on the bottom. I think i would prefer to have the main screen at eye level to the buttons. It looks ok.

yeah i agree the SP should of been a snes pad to the tee.

For some odd reason form how nintendo described orginally i expected a 3dish hologram deal. Of course everyone alsways hypes there system.With two screen you cuould very well duplicate a 3d type game. I guess that be the virtual boy :p

It looks like the shoulder buttons have just been moved to the face so there are still only 4 buttons. That would stink. I am not that excited about this system and I am a big Nintendo fan. Unless the DS has some AAA titles, I will probably go with the PSP if it delivers the goods...

[quote name='javeryh']It looks like the shoulder buttons have just been moved to the face so there are still only 4 buttons. That would stink. I am not that excited about this system and I am a big Nintendo fan. Unless the DS has some AAA titles, I will probably go with the PSP if it delivers the goods...[/quote]

haha 1) theres no confirmation that that is the actul DS, and 2)you cant even see the back. haha

[quote name='javeryh']It looks like the shoulder buttons have just been moved to the face so there are still only 4 buttons. That would stink. I am not that excited about this system and I am a big Nintendo fan. Unless the DS has some AAA titles, I will probably go with the PSP if it delivers the goods...[/quote]

What makes you think that the shoulder buttons are on the face? Last i hear, Nintendo was still deciding whether to inlcude four face buttons on top of shoulder buttons. So most likely the face buttons we see are A,B,X,Y. Of course, this is all speculation but i REALLY hope it has six buttons or else fighting games will suck the way they did on gba.

[quote name='asaraa']The article said it would be around $150. I'm thinking $129. Still more than a Gamecube![/quote]

cubes been out for almost 3 years tho, this is new hardware

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='javeryh']It looks like the shoulder buttons have just been moved to the face so there are still only 4 buttons. That would stink. I am not that excited about this system and I am a big Nintendo fan. Unless the DS has some AAA titles, I will probably go with the PSP if it delivers the goods...[/quote]

haha 1) theres no confirmation that that is the actul DS, and 2)you cant even see the back. haha[/quote]

I know. My comments were based on what I could see in the picture. If that is the real DS (likely) it does not appear to have shoulder buttons. With the flip screen, Nintendo would likely position shoulder buttons the same way that they did on the SP which is right on the corner. It doesn't look that way...

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't make the main screen at least half bigger than the bottom screen.

I really like that they added four buttons because that will make games like fighters much more easier.

But in terms of style, I still think the SP blows it away.

Uh....yeah, it pretty much looks like a new system. I'll buy the line that it's not the GBA successor, but if it's running new hardware and has it's own games, it's a new system.

I was thinking the same thing cheapy, looks a lot like a game and watch. Well, I guess a portable n64 isnt too bad an idea. Let's see what happens

Wouldn't be slick as hell if they started to port some of the N64 games over? I know most people don't like all the SNES ports on the GBA, but I think it will be pretty cool to get some ports of the N64.

[quote name='CheapyD']Uncanny resemblence[/quote]
That which is old, shall be new again.

Maybe one day bell bottoms and hip huggers will come back in style too.

i dont think thats a real photo. spong said it is possible that is the real DS but not likely. and planetgamecube says that the reader that tipped them off is named "ccoax" which i think is sarcsm. also it isnt logical that they would release a mario kart for launch IMO.

It's Nintendo. They've already rehashed the old NES games, time to get cracking on rehashing the SNES games.

It is a total contradiction to say that the ds is not a successor to the gameboy if it plays gameboy games. Backwards compatibility on a more powerful system assumes successorship (if that is even a word).

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Wouldn't be slick as hell if they started to port some of the N64 games over? I know most people don't like all the SNES ports on the GBA, but I think it will be pretty cool to get some ports of the N64.[/quote]

i love it, just i think they would need a analog stock opposed to a d-pad.

An analog stick would be very useful on a 3-d capable system. Almost necessary. Hmmm, now it doesn't seem as good. I can't imagine controlling Mario 64 with the d-pad.

Aside from the dual screens, that DS has a pretty cheap look to it. Not cheap in the good way that is. I still don't believe that's the real deal, because don't they normally show all the angles when a new piece of hardware is announced? I won't believe it until I see it myself.

[quote name='magilacudy']Aside from the dual screens, that DS has a pretty cheap look to it. Not cheap in the good way that is. I still don't believe that's the real deal, because don't they normally show all the angles when a new piece of hardware is announced? I won't believe it until I see it myself.[/quote]

I agree also, typically with new hardware photos, they have a copyright or trademark on it with logo and or company.

An analog stick on a flip-top portable? I don't see how they could even include it.. if it just sat on top it would break off in your pocket, if it flipped up it would be usless. They only thing they could do is make it really short and have it fit into a concave area on the top when it's folded close.. but that's going to make it less useful and make the whole unit larger. It would be nice to have, but unwieldy in reality.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']An analog stick on a flip-top portable? I don't see how they could even include it.. if it just sat on top it would break off in your pocket, if it flipped up it would be usless. They only thing they could do is make it really short and have it fit into a concave area on the top when it's folded close.. but that's going to make it less useful and make the whole unit larger. It would be nice to have, but unwieldy in reality.[/quote]

A trackpoint device would suffice. Just a tad more sensative than a traditionl analog.

i've been thinking about getting an sp for a while, and if this plays gba games then ill probally go for it. although IMO thats a really ugly looking system, also it doesn't look to portable.

Looks cool to me, I'll be in line day one to pick up mine as long as there're cool games to match.

And about the supposed lack of shoulder buttons, who really cares? I can't think of a single SNES game (besides Super Metroid) that really used the shoulder buttons for anything important.

Yeah, but these games aren't going to be SNES games. In the article, it stated the DS will be able to play close-to-N64 graphics. That means, more dynamic games, which in turn, also will mean the need for more buttons.

that photo looks like some one photo shopped a gba sp onto a pda and replaced the buttons with another screen in the center, I just dont think nintendo would be this conservative with their design.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yeah, but these games aren't going to be SNES games. In the article, it stated the DS will be able to play close-to-N64 graphics. That means, more dynamic games, which in turn, also will mean the need for more buttons.[/quote]

have to disagree with u there. more buttons =\= deeper gameplay.

keep it simple. the c-buttons on the n64 were pretty useless most of the time anyways

DS has separate slots for current Game Boy Advance cartridges and new, smaller DS game cards.

I can barely keep track of my GBA cartridges as it is.. if they get any smaller I might accidentally ingest one.

If this truly is the DS, I wonder why Nintendo went back to a square screen on top? The bottom screen looks like a GBA "wide" screen.

Also, it seems like the two indentations on the top half where the buttons fold into when the unit would be perfect for TWO speakers. Finally, GB stereo sound without headphones?

bread's done
Back