* * * * * 2 votes

Meijer Double Trade in Value Video Games 12/06-12/12

Meijer Double Trade-in Value 2x 12/06 - 12/12

#391 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6837 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

The system flags your ID after 2 transactions with the promo applied. How are you getting around that?

Did you use the same id every time? I'd like trade more games, but I'm not sure if the system would flag me or not. The last time I traded anything was on Tuesday.
Same ID except for one time (one transaction of one game) where we used my wife's ID, but the worker assured me that the transaction issue he was having had nothing to do with my ID.

#392 SonX  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

The trade in limit is definitely tied to your name. Not ID.

I'm having troubling buying a gift card with the mejer gift card though. Apparently it's not allowed in the policy even though I swiped it just fine at another meyer. Anyone else having this trouble? Can I do self checkout instead?

#393 appleseed127   Banned Banned   503 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

appleseed127

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

I'm having troubling buying a gift card with the mejer gift card though. Apparently it's not allowed in the policy even though I swiped it just fine at another meyer. Anyone else having this trouble? Can I do self checkout instead?

Just do self checkout. It's the easiest way and it doesn't bring any unwanted attention to what your doing.

#394 Geco17   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

Just do self checkout. It's the easiest way and it doesn't bring any unwanted attention to what your doing.

Exactly how you should do it. Mine asked me to show my form of payment as well. I just showed them my debit card and swiped the gift cards after they left.

#395 SonX  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Exactly how you should do it. Mine asked me to show my form of payment as well. I just showed them my debit card and swiped the gift cards after they left.

Alright here's my story.

Overall, I think the work needed to get this trade-in done was worth it. I ended up getting ~$280 in giftcards from ~$140 in Bestbuy trade-in credit.

The whole story is a little long so spoiler alert.

Spoiler

#396 appleseed127   Banned Banned   503 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

appleseed127

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

Alright here's my story.

Overall, I think the work needed to get this trade-in done was worth it. I ended up getting ~$280 in giftcards from ~$140 in Bestbuy trade-in credit.
The whole story is a little long so spoiler alert.

Spoiler

You could have saved yourself so much time. Whenever you purchase those gift cards, they have to check your id because you to be 18 to purchase for some reason. Once they check and leave you alone, you swipe your trade card and your all good.

#397 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5448 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

In Michigan I had success in Shelby Twp and Chesterfield for those looking for a sure fire.

That's my neck of the woods.

#398 SonX  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:03 PM

You could have saved yourself so much time. Whenever you purchase those gift cards, they have to check your id because you to be 18 to purchase for some reason. Once they check and leave you alone, you swipe your trade card and your all good.

I'm guessing that's only for mastercard purchases. I did one transaction at a cashier for the bestbuy giftcard and just swiped the trade card without even showing my ID. I didn't tell him what card I was using. That one was pretty smooth, and it was right after the store director told me straight up they couldn't do something like that lol. Self checkout turned out to be more complicated since I didn't think I could scan mastercards by myself and I wasn't sure what I need to show the person standing there watching me checkout.

#399 chuckywang   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1644 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

chuckywang

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

I'm guessing that's only for mastercard purchases. I did one transaction at a cashier for the bestbuy giftcard and just swiped the trade card without even showing my ID. I didn't tell him what card I was using. That one was pretty smooth, and it was right after the store director told me straight up they couldn't do something like that lol. Self checkout turned out to be more complicated since I didn't think I could scan mastercards by myself and I wasn't sure what I need to show the person standing there watching me checkout.

You can scan Mastercards yourself at self-checkout. You just need to peel back along the perforated edges on the back to reveal the barcode.

#400 LucaBlight  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:33 AM

I believe tonight is the last night of this promotion. RIP deal of the year. Thanks Meijer, Best Buy, & OP!

#401 appleseed127   Banned Banned   503 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

appleseed127

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

It's for all gift cards. I bought MasterCard and Best Buy. I'm glad you were able to get them though. Have fun spending those.

#402 Helldweller87   Banned Banned   1435 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Helldweller87

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:04 AM

For those who still have meijer credit,  you may want to consider not buying BB gift cards at meijer, its actually better to buy a $100 target gift card.  Easier to go to target.com and buy a $100 ebay card which can be bought for $95 if you have a Red Card and then use that to get a BB card on Ebay.  Just a a easier way to make a little extra credit.

#403 srac84  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:10 AM

you dont get the discount at target except on the amount paid with the red card...so that would defeat the purpose of the target gift card lol

#404 Helldweller87   Banned Banned   1435 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Helldweller87

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:56 AM

you dont get the discount at target except on the amount paid with the red card...so that would defeat the purpose of the target gift card lol

I always have been able to use my red card and get the discount while paying with a target GC on target.com

I just picked up a $200 ebay card just a week ago for $190 and still have $10 left on my target GC.

#405 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11457 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

RIP one of the best deals of the year. Thanks for the free 3 games

#406 no658ea3   Ex CEO CAGiversary!   6170 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:03 AM

RIP one of the best deals of the year. Thanks for the free 3 games

In the top 10 for sure. 

#407 darkasian  

darkasian

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

What's the latest one can go for trading in? Almost want to go again and get rid of the games that I actually don't play anymore.

#408 Geco17   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2877 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

What's the latest one can go for trading in? Almost want to go again and get rid of the games that I actually don't play anymore.

Whenever your electronics section "closes." It was always 9PM for us when I worked there.

#409 darkasian  

darkasian

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

Meh, wasn't meant to be I guess.

#410 pf316   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

Did this last night. Great deal. Went to best buy. Got 3 games for 100 bucks. Traded 2 to Meijer for $100 gc. Went back to best buy, bought 3 more games. Traded 2 to meijer for another 100 gc. Grabbed a Best Buy GC, used the meijer gc to pay for it.

6 games, 200 bucks. Trade 4 for $200. 2 free games. Great timing between retailers.

Think about it. Those Best Buy gift cards cost nothing to activate in Meijer. So Meijer just traded a zero cost best buy gc for 4 brand new games to be resold in their stores as used games. I win, meijer wins. Best buy loses.

Really the deal at best buy was. Select a game for free, save $100 off your next purchase, lol. Multiple times if you wish, lol.

#411 no658ea3   Ex CEO CAGiversary!   6170 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

Did this last night. Great deal. Went to best buy. Got 3 games for 100 bucks. Traded 2 to Meijer for $100 gc. Went back to best buy, bought 3 more games. Traded 2 to meijer for another 100 gc. Grabbed a Best Buy GC, used the meijer gc to pay for it.

6 games, 200 bucks. Trade 4 for $200. 2 free games. Great timing between retailers.

Think about it. Those Best Buy gift cards cost nothing to activate in Meijer. So Meijer just traded a zero cost best buy gc for 4 brand new games to be resold in their stores as used games. I win, meijer wins. Best buy loses.

Really the deal at best buy was. Select a game for free, save $100 off your next purchase, lol. Multiple times if you wish, lol.

No Meijer is the loser, you bought a gift card that goes to a different store. Best Buy gets $100 more now because you bought a gift card.

They lose money on these promotions, this is a way for you to get into a Meijer store and spend money.

#412 pf316   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:30 AM

No Meijer is the loser, you bought a gift card that goes to a different store. Best Buy gets $100 more now because you bought a gift card.

They lose money on these promotions, this is a way for you to get into a Meijer store and spend money.

I don't think we're seeing it the same way. How does Myers lose in this situation? It just doesn't make any sense. I'm trading in video games purchased at a Best Buy store for $200 credit at Meijer. Meijer did not pay for the video games that I traded in. So when they go to resell them whatever they sell them for is pure profit. And I'm not buying anything else in the store so there's no cost of good sold coming out of the store. However because I have a Best Buy gift card now I'm going to go take probably about 50 to 75 dollars in cost of good sold from Best Buy. Best Buy did not give me that $200 gift card. So now best buys breakdown is they gave me two video games for free plus a $200 gift card after I just spent $200 in their store. Meyer wins, and i win and Best Buy gives me more than what they bargained for

This promotion would not deter me from going right back into Meijer and shopping for groceries. If anything, they want me to use that gift card on another stores gift card.

#413 Maynard   Steam 48 hours a week. CAGiversary!   2252 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:46 AM

I don't think we're seeing it the same way. How does Myers lose in this situation? It just doesn't make any sense. I'm trading in video games purchased at a Best Buy store for $200 credit at Meijer. Meijer did not pay for the video games that I traded in. So when they go to resell them whatever they sell them for is pure profit. And I'm not buying anything else in the store so there's no cost of good sold coming out of the store. However because I have a Best Buy gift card now I'm going to go take probably about 50 to 75 dollars in cost of good sold from Best Buy. Best Buy did not give me that $200 gift card. So now best buys breakdown is they gave me two video games for free plus a $200 gift card after I just spent $200 in their store. Meyer wins, and i win and Best Buy gives me more than what they bargained for

This promotion would not deter me from going right back into Meijer and shopping for groceries. If anything, they want me to use that gift card on another stores gift card.

tumblr_mzyzo0MzfQ1r8q9x8o1_500.gif

#414 chuckywang   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1644 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

chuckywang

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:26 AM

So the thing about these promotions is that Meijer is paying the promotional value of the trade-in. Nextworth only pays the base value. Let's say you took full advantage of the promo and traded in 4 games for $50 each. That's $200, so Meijer pays $100 and Nextworth pays $100. 

So let's say you take that $200 and buy a Best Buy gift card. In essence, Meijer pays Best Buy $100 and Nextworth pays Best Buy $100. (Perhaps Meijer gets a small kickback from Best Buy for selling their gift card, but let's ignore that for now). So now Meijer is down $100, but they do have the video games that you traded in to them. I'm not sure how Meijer and Nextworth splits the value of the games once Nextworth unloads them, but let's assume Meijer gets half. 

If you got $50 per game, then I would say it's highly unlikely Nextworth unloads that game for $50. Probably $40 at best. If Meijer gets half of that, Meijer only gets back $80 on your four games. So Meijer loses $20. I might be completely wrong in some of my assumptions. If someone else knows more, let me know. The business of preowned games is getting complex.

#415 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13614 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

So the thing about these promotions is that Meijer is paying the promotional value of the trade-in. Nextworth only pays the base value. Let's say you took full advantage of the promo and traded in 4 games for $50 each. That's $200, so Meijer pays $100 and Nextworth pays $100. 

So let's say you take that $200 and buy a Best Buy gift card. In essence, Meijer pays Best Buy $100 and Nextworth pays Best Buy $100. (Perhaps Meijer gets a small kickback from Best Buy for selling their gift card, but let's ignore that for now). So now Meijer is down $100, but they do have the video games that you traded in to them. I'm not sure how Meijer and Nextworth splits the value of the games once Nextworth unloads them, but let's assume Meijer gets half. 

If you got $50 per game, then I would say it's highly unlikely Nextworth unloads that game for $50. Probably $40 at best. If Meijer gets half of that, Meijer only gets back $80 on your four games. So Meijer loses $20. I might be completely wrong in some of my assumptions. If someone else knows more, let me know. The business of preowned games is getting complex.

And in summary, like most deals, we are not the target audience! :P

#416 pf316   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

You have to look at the chain of events and it will make sense.

I spend $200 at Best Buy for 6 games. Thats $33 per game. Best Buy's margin on games is low. So they paid $20 per game (includes contracts, payroll, physical shipping cost, etc.) Total cost is $20 per game, estimated. So the first transaction ends up like this. Me, -200. Best Buy, +80 (net profit).

Transaction 2 - I trade 4 games to Meijer. Meijer is giving me $200 in credit (net profit tbd in transaction 3). Im back to even. Lets say Meijer sells those games used for $30 a piece. Meijer is up $120 minus what they traded me for the games.....groceries, camera case, grandmas photos, pillows.

Transaction 3 - What am I going to do with that $200 Meijer credit. I spend it on something that costs Meijer... nothing! Meijer is not giving Best Buy any equity here by me buying a gift card. Im transferring my credit to Best Buy.

Now, instead of buying a bunch of things from Meijer with credit...im buying things from Best Buy, that leads us back to Transaction #1.

The score is currently.

Me - 2 games in hand, spent $200 at Best Buy. Got $200 Gift Card for Best Buy.

Meijer - 4 games in hand from a Best Buy store, gave a customer $200 in credit to be used at Best Buy.

Best Buy - sold 6 games for $200, net profit of 80 bucks. Waiting on me to spend the 200 gift card.

Transaction 4 - I spend $200 on a $200 camera that costs best buy $80 wholesale. The net profit on the games was just erased by me buying the camera.

Final result

I get 2 games and Camera for $200. Meijer gets 4 video games for a Best Buy Gift card, lol. Best Buy nets out to zero, because the cost of goods sold equals to dollar amount I pay to them for th e goods.

Best Buy loses.