* * - - - 7 votes

Square-Enix Online Store "Suprise Gift Box" $9.99 (Supposedly $80 Value?)

Square-enix square enix surprise gift box surprise gift box sale squareenix PC digital

#31 OmniscientlyMe   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   78 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

OmniscientlyMe

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:29 PM

How?  You're supposed to be broke!

How do you think he got that way?

#32 JohnnyBeeGoode   Far Cry 5, A Way Out, A/C Origins (PlayStation 4) CAGiversary!   705 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

JohnnyBeeGoode

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

For $9.99 I was willing to take one for the team and check this out, then I read: "The contents of this exclusive deal will be announced and delivered after 12:00pm on December 18th, 2015."

Here, Here.  I am on pins and needles waiting for 12.18.2015.  :pc:

#33 Pengy99  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Am I the only one getting hassled by these people? I decided to take a shot at it since I don't own a ton of games that they might include. Anyway, after submitting my order and paying via paypal I get an email asking me to confirm with a phone number. Don't really want them having my mobile number and I don't have a landline anymore so I use google voice. That works but now I have an email from them wanting a copy of my drivers license. Ended up sending them a not-so-nice reply to that request. Never have I had this much issue trying to give people money.

#34 cheapbrokegamer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

cheapbrokegamer

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

How do you think he got that way?

This made me laugh and cry at the same time.

Truth #feelsbadman

#35 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4412 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, TC obviously didn't know about those issues or they wouldn't have bothered to post this deal in the first pla--oh wait.

But, I am the TC...

Tyrion_Lannister-Peter_Dinklage.jpg

#36 dreamer131313  

dreamer131313

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

Am I the only one getting hassled by these people? I decided to take a shot at it since I don't own a ton of games that they might include. Anyway, after submitting my order and paying via paypal I get an email asking me to confirm with a phone number. Don't really want them having my mobile number and I don't have a landline anymore so I use google voice. That works but now I have an email from them wanting a copy of my drivers license. Ended up sending them a not-so-nice reply to that request. Never have I had this much issue trying to give people money.

it common with square enix and do it quite often not that big of deal honestly. They did it to a lot of us during the Black Friday sale and all of us just replied with a pic of our Ids and the order was confirmed shortly after we supplied that.
It pretty basic either you agree with the way a store does something or just don't shop with them no point in complaining when it there policies

#37 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

it common with square enix and do it quite often not that big of deal honestly. They did it to a lot of us during the Black Friday sale and all of us just replied with a pic of our Ids and the order was confirmed shortly after we supplied that.
It pretty basic either you agree with the way a store does something or just don't shop with them no point in complaining when it there policies

Well in the PC gaming world I can tell you that's unheard of. Closest thing was Valve wanting people's social security numbers if they wanted to sell over $200 in the market, and that's not even for buying games, that's for optional selling of in game content and digital trading cards and such.

Seems like a pretty extreme thing to want to me. I've bought games (PC Digital) from Steam, Amazon, Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, Origin, Uplay, Gamestop, Gamefly/Direct2Drive/Whatever they are calling themselves now, Newegg, etc etc and other sites and have never been asked for a driver's license.

I don't know if that's normal for the console world or what but to me it seems really extreme, especially for an $8 digital product.

#38 Pokechaos480   Banned Banned   3685 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Pokechaos480

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

It's a square thing not an every retailer thing.

#39 JSweeney   ... CAGiversary!   11277 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

JSweeney

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

Well in the PC gaming world I can tell you that's unheard of. Closest thing was Valve wanting people's social security numbers if they wanted to sell over $200 in the market, and that's not even for buying games, that's for optional selling of in game content and digital trading cards and such.

Seems like a pretty extreme thing to want to me. I've bought games (PC Digital) from Steam, Amazon, Gamersgate, Greenmangaming, Origin, Uplay, Gamestop, Gamefly/Direct2Drive/Whatever they are calling themselves now, Newegg, etc etc and other sites and have never been asked for a driver's license.

I don't know if that's normal for the console world or what but to me it seems really extreme, especially for an $8 digital product.

Yep. And Valve only wants those social security numbers because they need to take them, file them and produce tax documents depending on the number of sales those people make. 

Anyone asking for information like that from me for their digital product will immediately be told to take a hike.

#40 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4078 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:01 PM

PC kills this deal ;)

I think PS+ killed this deal. 

#41 GTP  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

Alright I'm going to take a guess.

Tomb Raider
Hitman Absolution
Thief
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Sleeping Dogs

Judging by 2014, this will likely be disappointing.

#42 Onyxmeth   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Onyxmeth

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:10 PM

Judging by 2014, this will likely be disappointing.

I was going for disappointing. You see Square bundle and immediately think Final Fantasy, and then it's full of the Eidos side. It would be nice if they did an IOS bundle for the RPGs. Those things cost a fortune.

#43 Chazdor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   17 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

For $10 bucks what the Hell I'm in if only for the lulz for how badly I'll likely get shit upon. If I get really really bad games I can always gift them to my one buddy on Steam that I always love to mess with and give horrible games to. 

#44 aardarf   srsly u gys CAGiversary!   264 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:18 PM

Intriguing... wonder if I should do it

#45 cheapbrokegamer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

cheapbrokegamer

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

Intriguing... wonder if I should do it

Just do it! Make your dreams come true! Just do it!

Yesterday you said tomorrow. Just do it.

#46 Gscept   Gamer Afficionado!! CAGiversary!   432 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

The backlog hoarder in me wants to pull the trigger, but I probably already have the games they'll offer..... Hmmm

#47 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4412 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:01 AM

The backlog hoarder in me wants to pull the trigger, but I probably already have the games they'll offer..... Hmmm

I think that is my new title.

#48 Reraise   No Sale, No Buy! CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:16 AM

Nah, its not unheard of. The problem is, he used a VOIP service as his contact info. Sites like CDkeys.com and Gamersgate do this if you use a "fake" phone number to confirm identity (in fact, most places that use phone authentication will do this if you use skype/google voice or another service). If he had used a regular phone number they wouldnt have asked for ID. Ive been through this before. Its to stop people using stolen CC info with easy to generate fake online phone numbers. 

This happens a lot more than you think. You probably never had this issue before as you used a regular phone number.

#49 goldblattster   Lizard King CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

goldblattster

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

and that's not even for buying games, that's for optional selling of in game content and digital trading cards and such.

buying games is optional

#50 Pengy99  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

Nah, its not unheard of. The problem is, he used a VOIP service as his contact info. Sites like CDkeys.com and Gamersgate do this if you use a "fake" phone number to confirm identity (in fact, most places that use phone authentication will do this if you use skype/google voice or another service). If he had used a regular phone number they wouldnt have asked for ID. Ive been through this before. Its to stop people using stolen CC info with easy to generate fake online phone numbers. 

This happens a lot more than you think. You probably never had this issue before as you used a regular phone number.

Have ordered from both cdkeys and gamersgate without problems....even ordered a game in rubles using a vpn easier than ordering from SE. SE is just bat shit crazy when it comes to ecommerce. I remember setting up payment for FFXI many years ago when I played was as unintuitive as it could get too.

buying games is optional

heathen

#51 Sovietmethod   For Stalin Grad CAGiversary!   445 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Sovietmethod

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

i took the plunge.

#52 Mysticales   Battle Mystic Mystaria CAGiversary!   562 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Mysticales

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

I may take the plunge too.. But keep in mind. They could consider the original value of these games from Launch. Also Ill assume its safe to say FF7 would be in this. That and possibly lesser value Square games. 

#53 Reraise   No Sale, No Buy! CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:12 PM

Have ordered from both cdkeys and gamersgate without problems....even ordered a game in rubles using a vpn easier than ordering from SE. SE is just bat shit crazy when it comes to ecommerce. I remember setting up payment for FFXI many years ago when I played was as unintuitive as it could get too.

heathen

Right, but im sure you used a real phone number. As i said, they only ask for ID if you use a VOIP number, hence why you didnt have any troubles. Ive ordered many things from sites like cdkeys and gamersgate before without a problem. Once a successful order goes in, your fine. Its if that initial order (when you sign up for an account) used a sketchy phone number, they flag it. Its common.

Also, im not saying SE isnt a pain to deal with, i hated paying for FF14 when it came out, that payment thing they used was horrible, which was one of the reasons i stopped playing. I was addressing the comment that "in the world of PC gaming, this is unheard of", which was untrue. 

#54 Dammage   Chie is best girl CAGiversary!   540 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

"$80 Value" Psh yeah, without sale prices. It'll be a bunch of games that everyone already has that have been on sale for $5 or less

#55 Blumpkin   Lunar Lander CAGiversary!   3101 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

PC download?

giphy.gif

#56 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4412 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

"$80 Value" Psh yeah, without sale prices. It'll be a bunch of games that everyone already has that have been on sale for $5 or less

Hitman Absolution is MSRP $50, Final Fantasy 14 (Not ARR) is $50, so that's $100 right there!
You're getting a deal!

#57 Zeferino64   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   159 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Zeferino64

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

PC kills this deal ;)

For me, being digital what killed it. I could have sold the game if it worth much.

#58 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

For me, being digital what killed it. I could have sold the game if it worth much.

Square doesn't even make boxed copies for most of their PC games because hardly anyone buys boxed on the PC these days.

Also the sales we get are frequent and crazy low prices, especially from Square, so I doubt they'd be worth that much anyway. Certainly no one would pay retail.

#59 Thatguy1513   Him again.... CAGiversary!   2595 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Thatguy1513

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:57 PM

So has anyone even gotten this thing yet? If so what games did you get.

#60 dreamer131313  

dreamer131313

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:59 PM

So has anyone even gotten this thing yet? If so what games did you get.

no one will recieve it or know what in it until after the 18th I believe when they will stop selling these. So there no way to know what you will get until after you cant no longer buy it anymore

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Square-enix, square enix, surprise, gift box, surprise gift box, sale, squareenix, PC, digital