The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition $27.99

Doesn't this still have the whole "green" issue for Fellowship of the Ring?

That is the big reason I am holding off...that and the fact that somehow they still have it on 2 discs per movie.  That still baffles me that somehow 50GB per disc is still not enough space to hold one entire movie...

That is the big reason I am holding off...that and the fact that somehow they still have it on 2 discs per movie. That still baffles me that somehow 50GB per disc is still not enough space to hold one entire movie...
Probably because the load of extra. I still have my copy sealed years ago too but would pick it up again if it's on one disc per movie.

That is the big reason I am holding off...that and the fact that somehow they still have it on 2 discs per movie. That still baffles me that somehow 50GB per disc is still not enough space to hold one entire movie...
It's not really an issue peter jackson confirmed that the transfer was done under his supervision and the color difference is what he intended. Some people just don't like it.

Probably because the load of extra. I still have my copy sealed years ago too but would pick it up again if it's on one disc per movie.
I may be wrong but I don't remember seeing any special features on the first disc for each movie.

I may be wrong but I don't remember seeing any special features on the first disc for each movie.
I was not talking about the special features but the actually movie. The extended version is way longer than the theatrical movies because there are a lot of extra scenes that weren't on the theatrical release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not talking about the special features but the actually movie. The extended version is way longer than the theatrical movies because there are a lot of extra scenes that weren't on the theatrical release.
Yes, which I can then understand why maybe a 9GB DVD cannot hold everything and it needs to be done on 2 DVDs.

But we're talking Dual layer Blu Ray discs that have 25GB per layer, with a total of 50GB.

I just feel that some work could've been done to put each extended movie onto a single disc.

I didn't know that Jackson acknowledged the green filter as being what he wanted. I know many people complained as the DVD never had that same filter and it's not in the other movies, only Fellowship.

Yes but they choose to use a single layer instead because at that time I heard most blu-ray player can only read single layer. So I am hoping for a dual layer release later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm holding out on the (inevitable?) super duper extended bonus definitive director's cut collector's edition LOTR and Hobbit trilogies in one set to be released.  Maybe by then, each LOTR movie will be on its own disc.

I'm holding out on the (inevitable?) super duper extended bonus definitive director's cut collector's edition LOTR and Hobbit trilogies in one set to be released. Maybe by then, each LOTR movie will be on its own disc.
I don't fathom this logic. Do you think the discs will somehow become bigger, or that they'll just compress the movie? And why would you ever think they wouldn't just slap the discs from the existing set into a new box? A rerelease like you mentioned may be possible but I can't fathom them issuing a new print for it.

This set really, REALLY needed UV codes. It's criminal they weren't included, and it'd be nice if the bonus material had been on blu ray, but otherwise this is a great set. $28 is a fair price for it. It's a shame when proper packaging and extra materials are all it takes to set a collection like this above the rest, but that's how it goes nowadays :whistle2:(

Last edited:
I don't fathom this logic. Do you think the discs will somehow become bigger, or that they'll just compress the movie? And why would you ever think they wouldn't just slap the discs from the existing set into a new box? A rerelease like you mentioned may be possible but I can't fathom them issuing a new print for it.
Take it easy. I'm just going by what others are saying is possible if they went with dual layer disks. I don't get what the big deal is of saying it as more of a wish, just like you're wishing for UV codes. I personally don't care for digital copies but I don't crap on people's desires for them.

Take it easy. I'm just going by what others are saying is possible if they went with dual layer disks. I don't get what the big deal is of saying it as more of a wish, just like you're wishing for UV codes. I personally don't care for digital copies but I don't crap on people's desires for them.
I'm not trying to crap on anything, I just don't understand why they'd pay $$$ for a new print when they can use the same one they have now. I'm not a fan of getting up to swap discs in the middle of the movie either, but I seriously doubt they'd do anything about it.

I'm not trying to crap on anything, I just don't understand why they'd pay $$$ for a new print when they can use the same one they have now. I'm not a fan of getting up to swap discs in the middle of the movie either, but I seriously doubt they'd do anything about it.
Well, if they started including UV codes again, it probably wouldn't be free for them, either.

Well, if they started including UV codes again, it probably wouldn't be free for them, either.
:roll:

Ok buddy, I get the feeling you don't know what you are talking about here, so I'll leave it alone. But just to answer, the cost for the UV codes are very negligible. Not free, but right next too it. When they aren't included (assuming they are available on the services as LOTR is) it's not because of some cost associated with including it, but because they want people to take the discs to Wal-Mart or use the discs on Flixster.com to buy UV copies. It's about getting people to pay more for the same movie.

Last edited:
:roll:

Ok buddy, I get the feeling you don't know what you are talking about here, so I'll leave it alone. But just to answer, the cost for the UV codes are very negligible. Not free, but right next too it. When they aren't included (assuming they are available on the services as LOTR is) it's not because of some cost associated with including it, but because they want people to take the discs to Wal-Mart or use the discs on Flixster.com to buy UV copies. It's about getting people to pay more for the same movie.
Bottom line, what I was getting at was if they did a single collection for both trilogies, I'd like for them to have each movie on one disk. You'd like for them to have UV codes. For them to create new packaging and add any additional content or dumb plastic trinket to entice double dippers on a super set would already cost them more money than what they already spent creating the two separate trilogy sets. So you "can't fathom" why they'd spend additional money to give some fans what they want (movie on one disc) yet they'd already be spending money to make this hypothetical set... to give fans what they want, who will be throwing money at them to do so. If they were going to penny pinch to maximize profits, why throw in any extras at all, including UV codes? Or why even make this hypothetical set? People can and will just continue to buy the separate trilogies if they want the movies.

So, buddy, whether that makes sense or not, who cares. It's beyond the point of this thread's dead deal anyway. :roll:

bread's done
Back