IP Security Cameras?

Dokstarr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a good site to get started or recommendations on IP security cameras. I'd like to get one on my front porch and on my back porch.

I've been thinking about since I moved in recently, but today UPS is telling me a few of my packages was stolen and I think that would at least deter people from doing it (and I would definitely know if they were even delivered).

I see there are different cameras, software, etc. I'd have to get power out to my porch so I would need an electrician. Hopefully he could actually mount and connect it.

Blah - what a pain in the butt but I guess I might as well do it since now I have to run around and get refunds/reshipping etc for the packages that were "stolen" today.

I'm surprised it happened since I live in a supposedly good area, but maybe that makes it more of a target.

I don't have any experience with IP cameras but I can tell you what I've done. I had a crappy d-link wifi cam with low resolution for a while. Just mainly to get motion detection and photos emailed to me when someone was at the door - UPS, FEDEX, USPS, etc.

I saw Costco had this set on sale for 199 (sale was through the 20th - it's currently 279 but I'd bet they run the sale a couple times a year.)

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-1TB-HDD%2c-4-720p-Cameras-with-80'-Night-Vision.product.100229390.html

I picked it up and have installed two of the 4 cameras so far. One for my front door and one for my back door/deck/garage door. The other two will be installed one for garage doors and one for my shed. It's been pretty easy to deal with the setup so far. I have an app installed on my pc and an app on my and my wife's iphone as well as our ipads. I have it set to email me with motion detection on the front door camera. So far I've been real happy with daytime and nighttime (night vision) images. The 1tb dvr seems like it will be plenty for me and it is expandable for 4 more cameras if I needed them. I plan on installing the other two cameras and installing the dvr permanently in my coat closet within the next few weeks.

Each camera has a double cable that is 60ft - one BNC connector for video and a barrel jack for power. I think I used a 3/4" paddle bit to bore under my eaves and snake the cable into my attic with a fish tape. All that can be easy or tough - just depending on how accessible your attic space is and the pitch of your roof.

All in all I'm real happy with the system - especially for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the people I know who have installed security cams have found that they don't actually record much of use.  The people who snatch packages from porches tend to wear caps, sunglasses, or hoodies to obscure their appearance, and they don't tend to linger long enough to get a clear shot.  If deterrence is what you're going for, you can mount an inexpensive fake camera in a conspicuous place, maybe stick a sign out in your yard warning that all activity is being recorded.

Thanks for the link. I will check that out.

As for stopping thieves. I don't know if it will, but at least it will maybe make some think twice about doing it. It will also let me know if packages are actually delivered - and not to the wrong place/worker just scanning it to help their numbers.

I spent 6 years living in a crappy neighborhood and never had a package stolen. I buy a house in a well-to-do nice area and suddenly my stuff is going missing. (though I did have some meth head woman crawling through my window once).

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back