When selling on Craigslist, should items always be considered first come first served?

Ferrari Racer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I had someone that wanted to buy something off of me and they asked if we could in 2 days. I said sure because it was the first time someone had messaged me about it since I posted it a few weeks ago, thinking I wouldn't get any other interest.

Then later that day I get another person asking when they could come pick it up. I tell them that it was on hold and would let them know if it became available. They got pissed off.

So now I ask, should I always consider first come first serve for now on? Wasn't sure if it was an actual rule there...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no rules, only those that you state in your ad, or negotiate on the phone.  You could update the ad's status to pending but you might deter contact.

I usually won't hold unless they've come to look at something and need to arrange transport or finances (like a car or moto) but I usually get a deposit.

I know that's hard depending on the value.  My personal rule is if it isn't worth a deposit, I won't hold.

Best of  luck.

I think if you tell someone they can buy an item, you shouldn't go back on that. It's just politeness.

In situations where I have multiple interested people, I've done what you did...I just tell them I have someone lined up to buy it, but if it doesn't work out I can give them a text at such-and-such point. Someone who has an issue with that probably isn't a person you want to sell to.

Yeah you committed to doing business so I would hold to yours word's. If they back out you'll still find someone else. To me that is just good business.

I usually won't hold unless they've come to look at something and need to arrange transport or finances (like a car or moto) but I usually get a deposit.

I know that's hard depending on the value. My personal rule is if it isn't worth a deposit, I won't hold.

Best of luck.
Pretty much this. If I'd told someone I'd hold something, I'd stick to it but unless they want to make a deposit and show some commitment, I'd tell them to call back when they have the cash and if it's still there, it's theirs.

I would sell it to the first person to show up. Good chance you will never hear from the person you are holding it for again. You should not have told him you would hold it in the first place though. I would have told that person to contact you again in two days when he was able to buy it from you if still available.

I rarely do holds now and I may just not do them anymore, because 90% of the time I don't hear back from the person interested on the day we agreed to meet up.

I would sell it to the first person to show up. Good chance you will never hear from the person you are holding it for again. You should not have told him you would hold it in the first place though. I would have told that person to contact you again in two days when he was able to buy it from you if still available.
This. People flake all the time. Plus the guy you're holding it for could show up offering half of what he other guy who was ready to buy would have offered.

bread's done
Back