(1/1): My goal, as ever, is to complete 40 games in one year's time. I have attempted this with varying degrees of success in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. Below, I also track my other media consumption behind some spoilers.
(1/12/17): What a bad job I've done! I didn't come back and update regularly, and worse, it's because I haven't been finishing games! The adventure continues in 2017!
- Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - ★★★☆☆ - I think these might get a little bit worse with each iteration. It did feel more like a movie to me than part 2, but that movie was a slightly tired action franchise sequel. How many times can Sully die? The controls felt clumsy, there were noticable bugs (one system-locking show stopper and a fair amount of clipping through walls and getting stuck in the map), and it's just plain unsatisfying when bad guys don't react to being shot in the face on Normal difficulty. I got a lot of the shooting and collecting trophies, but I'm not going to play online.
- Tiny Tower Vegas - ★★★★☆ - It only took me like, 18-24 months to finish all my floors. The final few months were a slog, with only one new floor in an average week, but the final few days were exciting, as I raced my gf to the finish line. Of course, I told myself I'd keep checking in each day and use the free bux to unlock all the roofs and stuff, but of course, I basically never opened it again.
- Lost Tracks - ★★☆☆☆ - This is better than anything any of my classmates made in college, but still isn't that much of a game, really.
- Affordable Space Adventures - ★★★★★ - This is really excellent! The co-op is not only fun, it's way more involving than I expected it to be. I thought maybe player two would just get a flashlight or something, but splitting up the controls was a treat. Definitely a game more about the journey than the destination. (Normally, I'd feel a tiny bit stung that a game I just bought at list price was in a bundle the week after I finished it, but this was top notch.)
- Sky Force Reloaded - ★★★★★ - I completed and collected everything in this game, twice, and then the extra levels and add-ons started hitting. I haven't gotten every medal on some of the new final levels, but I'm getting close. The curve and card power ups are both better done here than in the 2014 edition, which I also went back to and replayed after smashing through this.
- Emily is Away - ★★★☆☆ - Good atmosphere. I always run into the same problem with these kind of games though, which is that I want to replay them to see another branch of the story tree, and then you realize how little effect your input truly had on the course of events.
- Epistory - Typing Chronicles - ★★★★☆ - Kind of a Bastion meets Typing of the Dead. What I recall of the story wasn't especially interesting, but I enjoy the mechanic. Those last couple of achievements are pretty tough though.
- The Writer Will Do Something - ★★★☆☆ - A short twine story.
Some games that I spent time with this year but didn't actually complete:
Games I liked: Hungry Cat Picross, Invisibles Inc, Letterpress, War Tortoise, Tiny Death Star, Cooking Fever, Super Hexagon, Sunburn!, Machineers, Super Mario Run, Paint it Black, Radar Commander, Teeny Titans, Hitman Sniper, and lots of Ingress
Others: Crashlands and a few of BS's other titles, Choppa, Star Wars Pinball 4, Extreme Forklifting 2, AirAttack 2, Perchang, Hackers - Join the Cyberwar, Paperback, Pinout!, Phoenix II
- Wind Waker HD, Toad's Treasure Tracker, Runbow, Yoshi's Wooly World
- Mini Metro, Infinifactory, Hacknet, Stardew Valley, Evoland 2, Job Simulator
Seasons of TELEVISION:
Totals: (last year's score)
: 3 (7)
: 3 (3)
: 0 (0)
: 1 (1)
: 0 (2)
: 1 (0)
Video Games: 8 (13)
Seasons of TV: 31 (19)
New-to-me Movies: 89 (127)
Books!: 7? (4)
Board Games: ?? (~40)
Stand-up: 125 (90)