Umihara Kawase is disappearing digitially. Get it fast!

iast

CAGiversary!
Not exactly a "deal" per se, but the recent-ish Umihara Kawase digital releases in the US are quickly disappearing due to Agatsuma Entertainment, the company behind them, shutting down in early December.

They've already been delisted from Steam but Humble Store and Green Man Gaming still have keys for them.

HS:

Umihara Kawase - $9.99

Umihara Kawase Shun - $11.99

Sayonara Umihara Kawase - $14.99

Umihara Kawase Trilogy - $29.99

UK Trilogy is currently out of keys but says they should be getting more, hopefully.

GMG:

Umihara Kawase - $9.99

Sayonara Umihara Kawase - $14.99

GMG also has a 20% voucher good till Jan. 4, NWYEAR-20PERC-WTHGMG

The Vita port of Sayonara Umihara Kawase is still up on PSN for $19.99 and includes the original UK for free. Expect it to vanish relatively soon as well, maybe as early as next week's PSN update.

crap.. i should have brought it during the last steam sale.

i was tempted but i was waiting for a bigger discount.

now I need to decide if I want to buy it a higher price or never at all............

Last edited by a moderator:
Went ahead and purchased the Trilogy on the Humble Store.  If I can find out if the original UK is included for the Vita, I may pick it up there as well.

Where are the details that the original UK is included? I don't see any reference to this on PSN.
They don't reference the original UK on PSN for some reason but it is there, hence why it also has the + symbol in the name.

Look at the screenshots on the PS Store page.
I see what you are referencing. There are definitely 2 distinctly different renderings / display ratios represented, so the assumption is that the lower resolution game is the original.

I saw a user review on Metacritic that also referenced the original being included ...

Does come with the original Super Famicom game available from the start

Thanks!

I was considering getting the trilogy off of Humble Store, but they are showing they are out of keys so I'm quite worried about trying to buy it now. (Since I doubt they can get more keys to cover any further purchases.) Oh well. :/

Who's even getting the money for the sales then?
I'm assuming the keys these stores have were bought before they went out of business.

I already have Sayonara Umihara Kawase on 3DS; I'm trying to decide if it's worth doubling down on Vita. There are bonuses... but there are other games that I don't already have.

Although I bought a physical copy of the PSP game from Play-Asia years ago, I often play the PSP version of Umihara Kawase on my Shield Portable and Shield TV. Fun game. I also bought the 3DS download. I will buy the Vita download since it is being delisted. Shame to see yet another Japanese developer go into the ether, but as far as I can tell, this was its only franchise, and it was never more than moderately successful. A game about a girl who uses a makeshift fishing pole to traverse platforms was never going to be a huge seller, and none of the games had a physical release in the West.

It's the publisher that shut down, not the developer. The rights to the title revert to the developer. Another publisher can always take up the franchise later once this happens.

But thanks for paying so much for these crappy looking games, guys. Maybe with your collective funds, Natsume will take up the series once again and I'll be able to get them in a bundle later this year.

And I'm surprised at you Motoki for not doing a Foxhackskyisfalling.gif reference.

It's Japan though and maybe they'd put it back on PSN but they know fuck all about PC gaming so it wouldn't shock me if it never shows back up on Steam again.

Anwyay, I already have Baibai Umihasawasakawasakidakimakura and that's the latest and most decent looking one so I think I'll live.

Dammit. I've had this on my PSN wish list ever since they added a wish list function to the site, waiting for the first sale on this. Now I have to get it at 20 or risk never being able to get it at all

On second thought, I've had enough of purchasing digital games that are destined to be taken down (even though technically they all are). The PS Mobile fiasco that Sony actively gives no fucks for was enough for me.

The GMG links are showing up as dead now too. Unless those or HS suddenly come back up, the Vita game is the only one still up.

I wouldn't be too worried about the games not coming back. There are lots of Western publishers that would jump at the chance to take over these games.

I wouldn't be too worried about the games not coming back. There are lots of Western publishers that would jump at the chance to take over these games.
That's assuming the developers have sense and give a shit about the Western market, which is a lot to assume for the Japanese.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for sure, but it's hardly guaranteed either.

It also depends if it was they or the publisher that pushed for the Western release of these games. I tend to think it was the latter since at least on Steam they could have easily self published.

The GMG and Humble Bundle links are all dead.  Seems likely it'll be delisted on PSN soon, at least until a new publisher decides to pick it up.

Picked up Sayonara UmiharaKawase + on PSN since it's PS TV compatible.

Shoot got sold out quickly....I just need shin PC...i'm guessing there is no link for just that somewhere. I have the other 2 on Vita (excellent version)...

That's assuming the developers have sense and give a shit about the Western market, which is a lot to assume for the Japanese.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for sure, but it's hardly guaranteed either.

It also depends if it was they or the publisher that pushed for the Western release of these games. I tend to think it was the latter since at least on Steam they could have easily self published.
Agatsuma Entertainment is in dissolution, so the few games they still published will be picked up. I bet Atlus will grab Code of Princess (they published it in the US).

The Umihara Kawase game rights are not lost, whoever owns them still does (all games in the series have been published, but not owned, by any publishers.) All it takes is a new contract for these to return.

I think I'll take a chance and not grab this now. The Super Famicom game is fun and I can always play that again if I want an Umihara fix. I think the game is likely worth $20 but funds are tight right now after Christmas and New Years, and game sales.

I'll admit I don't really understand how these delisting things work.  I do hope another publisher picks this up so we can see more of these types of titles in the future. 

I still have to play through the 3DS version.  Might get the PS version if I have extra money or a sale happens.

I'll admit I don't really understand how these delisting things work.
When someone no longer has the rights to sell something/when the company with the rights to sell something no longer exists, the item is no longer sold.

With Physical, that just meant no more got produced - but the ones that were out there could still be bought, sold, and re-sold.

With Digital, flick a switch and it's all gone. Welcome to your digital future. Which is one of many reasons why DRM-free options should be encouraged.

bread's done
Back